Dunkirk sitting at 93% on Rottentomatoes is why ill never follow review scores ever again

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
:what: so I'm supposed to compromise with directors trash way of directing.. You can't be so dense
Do you not think he's aware that his weakness lies in character development and emotional output and that he's fooled his fan base by claiming this isn't THAT type of movie

:comeon: please
:camby: with Nolan
:gucci: You're really stupid.

momma

All Star
Daps
My post from the movie thread:
Amazing movie but I feel like not everyone will appreciate it, its no Inception or Batman where its straight like a gut punch and follows the standard rhythms of storytelling. Its very experimental, and like experimental works in all forms of art you need to "get" certain things in order to first understand it, and then appreciate it. Like how the music is as much a storytelling device as the dialogue or an actor's facial expression is in this movie, constantly accompanying scenes with minimal action as a way of building momentum, chopping it, or de-escalating it, or the camera work and how its used to immerse you during drowning scenes where the screen literally goes all black for a few seconds with a peek of light coming in and out, or the sound mixing where the bombs and guns are loud as fukk but still distant and sometimes off screen as a way of showing the constant, sometimes faraway yet still very real threats war presents. There's no narrative arc per se and the only real character development we get is with the civilian family but the movie still works because its war and you're literally following soldiers in a desperate situation.

Only real complaints I have is the story gets lost a little bit sometimes due to the structuring, like you're not sure where the story is taking you at some parts and how pieces fit together. Also I had a really hard time understanding the dialogue partly because of the accents. So I probably missed some important exposition that explained some important stuff

And from Nolan himself:

In short, its not Saving Private Ryan + Inception, it's a very different and distinct way of storytelling and you either like it or you don't

Also Rotten Tomatoes scores are very arbitrary. Its only a score that tells you the percentage of critics of who gave it a positive/semi-positive review. If you want an actual calculated store, check Metacritic which averages the scores reviewers give the movie. I'm starting to hate it when people quote Rotten Tomatoes scores like that's not the most general indication of a movie's quality ever. It's the same as asking people thumbs up or thumbs down and making a percentage out of that

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Apparently trash like Dunkirk is praised as elite cinema in this generation, Its a shame really
What would you prefer this summer?

The 4th movie in the Despicable Me franchise? The 5th Pirates movies? Transformers 5? The 6th Spider-man movie? The 9th Planet of the Apes movie?

Nolan bringing us originals every 3-4 summers :ahh:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

The 4th movie in the Despicable Me franchise? The 5th Pirates movies? Transformers 5? The 6th Spider-man movie? The 9th Planet of the Apes movie?

Yes I'd praise apes and spider man lol. I really don't give a damn how many it is. A good movie is a good movie

Apparently trash like Dunkirk is praised as elite cinema in this generation, Its a shame really
Homie it's their opinion. If you disagree that's your right. Getting beside yourself over what a group of people feel or think about a piece of art is just the wrong way to go about it. You'll never be satisfied

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Blade Runner is the movie I'm looking forward to seeing, I went to see Dunkirk in theaters after all the "praise" it got little did I know it was from the Nolan circle jerkers..
there was nothing original about Dunkirk just bland and loud with good camera work