"Emergency funds are for retards." Coli Poster

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
He's not just talking about 401Ks and IRAs.

He was also talking about a brokerage account, ie the thing that can wire money to your regular checking account in 2 days. Some are fasterm

It takes 2 weeks to rollover from a 401K so he wasn't talking about that.

@Goldz-n-hoez talk to your boy
I'm not talking about what @Goldz-n-hoez said.

I'm speaking about what @Luck said

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I don’t have an emergency savings account and my bread is correct.

I don’t disagree with who you are trying to throw shade at all OP.

Real ones know.
I'm not throwing shade.

I'm just simply saying I disagree and I asked how others feel about it.

It ain't that deep.

Daps
He has a very valid point moron :heh:

if you have a retirement account you can loan yourself money at any given time for whatever
Uhh... with a very large penalty for early withdrawal. Unless it’s a Roth IRA, then the penalty is only for gains earned. Or it’s an approved hardship. That process is also not fast

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Uhh... with a very large penalty for early withdrawal. Unless it’s a Roth IRA, then the penalty is only for gains earned. Or it’s an approved hardship. That process is also not fast

https://blog.massmutual.com/post/borrowing-from-your-401k-the-risks

The only thing you lose ( which should be obvious ) is the money you would’ve earned on the interest and ours we have to pay ourselves back the interest.

We’re talking about “emergency” funds so how much earned interest would you lose on emergency funds just sitting in your bank account...?

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
That’s probably exactly what he is referring to.
Nope. He's talking about a 401k and he clearly said that in page 2.

He even said he was going to use a 401k loan to purchase his first residence which I know a lot of people do but it's not the smartest idea

ConPHIdential

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Thinking about it I didn’t ready the topic correctly and was more focused on the benefits of a “savings account” generating a trash APY vs an “emergency fund”.

I don’t find anything wrong with having a rainy day fund.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
https://blog.massmutual.com/post/borrowing-from-your-401k-the-risks

The only thing you lose ( which should be obvious ) is the money you would’ve earned on the interest and ours we have to pay ourselves back the interest.

We’re talking about “emergency” funds so how much earned interest would you lose on emergency funds just sitting in your bank account...?
No...you also risk losing the GAINS. If you have 100k but borrow 50K....you're losing on those daily gains....you're losing out on compound interest.

You also run the risk of being held on the hook for that whole 50k plus taxes and early withdrawal penalties if something ever happened to your career

What I'm basically saying is I think it's a good idea to have a rainy day fund of course it doesn't have to be $100,000 sitting in an account but I'm just saying most people should have a rainy day fund

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Thinking about it I didn’t ready the topic correctly and was more focused on the benefits of a “savings account” generating a trash APY vs an “emergency fund”.

I don’t find anything wrong with having a rainy day fund.
That's all I'm saying....most people should have a rainy day fund.

@Goldz-n-hoez is obviously an outlier and he makes more than the average person.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
He's talking about things you don't know about and you don't even realize it.

The big clue was that he mentioned that you can withdraw your funds in two days. He obviously has a brokerage account that he invests in.
You can withdraw your funds AFTER the stock sales settle. That alone takes 3 days. I'm so tired of smart dumb nikkas on here man. A rainy day fund is important, particularly if you don't have a credit card.

Daps
He's talking about things you don't know about and you don't even realize it.

The big clue was that he mentioned that you can withdraw your funds in two days. He obviously has a brokerage account that he invests in.
Waiting two days how big of an emergency can it be? Now what if your emeergency happens friday night. You have to wait til Monday to even request your funds and then have to wait an additional two days to receive them.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hes saying dont have money just sitting there in the bank when it can be working for you.

He's broke

You not suppose to invest all the money you got, some money you just have put away just to have it put away

that's why its called emergency funds

taking money out from your investments eliminates the point of you investing, and you are too broke to be investing if you need to withdraw from those funds, which is why you need savings you don't touch lmao

Daps
Okay so you're just going to give up on those potential gains from your 401k or your retirement account because you need to fix a flat tire or your transmission? :mjlol:

If you lost your job...most 401k loans have to be paid back within 60 days or it becomes a withdrawal.....that's taxes and early penalty fees :ohhh:

Yall really dumb. :ehh:
The interest you pay is basically the gains you would have had