ESPN first Take laughs at going to Milwaukee / Phoenix NBA Finals

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Might be, not like i made it up. Just how the media decided to categorize it. Ya'll's arguments to the contrary are equally arbitrary though low key.
bu bu but Atl got Tyler Perry, therefore it's a big market. :mjlol:

Bruh Philly doesnt have over 3 million households, yet you listed it as a major market in your statement. Nobody has ever said cities like San Francisco, Houston, Detroit, DC, are small markets. :russ: The Boston Celtics are not a small market team. :mjlol:

You think the Atlanta Braves and Boston Red Sox are counted as a small market teams? :russ:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
I don't love it either, but something's got to give if you perpetually have teams that have a negative shot of winning shyt it further exacerbates the futility of interest in the regular season. MLB has the same issue. I'm not talking Portland or Memphis, but definitely Orlando, New Orleans off top could go. My point is if only 5 teams can actually win it in any given season where people are actually healthy 30 teams is far too many.

Just my take. I know once Bron's done Idc to watch the NBA, and once Brady's done Idc for the NFL really so it doesn't matter to me either way. I'm an efficiency guy so I'll always favor cutting the fat

MLB hasn't had a repeat champion in 20 years. In that time, Arizona, Miami, Kansas City, and St. Louis won world series and the big markets who have won have either won for the first time (Nationals, Astros) or broke ridiculously long ass droughts to win it (Boston, Philly, Chicago Cubs AND White Sox, San Francisco, BOTH LA teams). Not everyone is the Seattle Mariners.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Small market is not based on the city breh, it's based on the total number of households and how much revenue that area has to compete with other places.
Atl might not seem like a small market to you, but guarantee they're never competing dollar for dollar with any real big markets in any sport.

Yes it’s based on households and most people aren’t labeling a location with over 2.5 million households an average city or small market like you suggested.

And where did the 3 million number come from exactly? Cause I’ve never heard someone say the Warriors are a small market team because the Bay doesn’t have 3 million households

Eye Cue DA COLI GAWD

Once tyranny starts, tyranny doesn't stop
Daps
People gotta stop acting like every average city is a big market. There are only like 6 big market teams in the NBA. Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Knicks, Bulls and 6ers. Everybody else is small market in comparison. Just cause you got a metro area, doesn't mean you can match those cities household per household from a pure numbers perspective. New York got almost 3 times as many households as Phoenix. You combine Phoenix and Milwaukee together and you would still have a small market.
You have no idea what you're talking about. City team support is far more about who doesn't live in them than who does. Sports is national, not to mention the areas/counties support outside the city limits.

End of the day, they sound like casuals and unprofessionals talking about a city over the team that plays in it. This is especially the case when you consider we in the conference finals yo. :hhh:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Bruh Philly doesnt have over 3 million households, yet you listed it as a major market in your statement. Nobody has ever said cities like San Francisco, Houston, Detroit, DC, Boston, are small markets. :russ:

You think the Atlanta Braves are counted as a small market team? :russ:
:troll: you right, they only have 2.99 Million, my bad.:dead: you reaching like a mfer

show me where any of the teams you named are listed as big markets

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I don't understand this energy. Bush 10 teams and hundreds if not thousands of black folk lose their jobs. Not just players but staff, security, concessions, folk working for the arena, trainers, commentators, media, etc. And the gain is....?

Not to mention the fans. I mean Memphis is a tiny-ass market with no big stars but pretty sure fans still loved that run where they made the playoffs 7 straight years and advanced three times including the WCF once. Blazers are in a small NBA city but they still have the Walton era (a title), the Drexler era (11 straight playoff appearances and 3 straight WCF including 2 Finals), the Sheed era (7 straight playoff apperances including back-to-back WCF), the Roy era (just 3 playoff appearances but so much hope and clutchness) and the Dame era (8 straight playoff appearances including a WCF). Just in the 2000s Cleveland got a title, Detroit got a title, Toronto got a title, San Antonio got 5 titles, now Milwaukee or Phoenix could get a title....

Also quite often those smaller market crowds (Memphis, OKC, Portland...) are loud as hell when they reach the playoffs:ehh::whoo::leon:

Bossino

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
You don't sound like a sports fan anyway so I don't know why anyone would care what you think. :yeshrug:
I used to be, but casuals ruin the way all 3 major sports are played, and sports media went to shyt. I used to love it, but then the stupid, the ignorant, and the casual "fans" ruined the sports as well as the experiences that encompass them. I don't say those 2 guys because they're my faves, although I havve a fondness for Brady I say that because they're the last of their respective eras in their respective sports, and those are the last eras I personally value/enjoy/respect.

You sound personally overinvested, because yes my opinion doesn't matter, though neither does yours or any regular mufukka. I can cite stats/games/players like the back of my hand but at the end of the day opinions are like a$$holes chief. This tone is out of character for you as a poster no need to be sensitive Silver, like Manfred has a lot of issues to improve upon for longevity purposes.

:yeshrug:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
You have no idea what you're talking about. City team support is far more about who doesn't live in them than who does. Sports is national, not to mention the areas/counties support outside the city limits.

End of the day, they sound like casuals and unprofessionals talking about a city over the team that plays in them. This is especially the case when you consider we in the conference finals yo. :hhh:
:mjlol:
So you're saying a teams market size includes people that aren't in that teams market?
:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

So for example like a lakers fan who lives in utah, that goes to jazz games whenever the lakers are in town gets added to LA's market numbers? :pachaha:

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga
Stephen a just still mad over not being able to travel for the 2020 finals lol

Missing out on a miami/la finals but getting to travel for a potential milwaukee/Phoenix must seem so beneath him:mjlol:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
:troll: you right, they only have 2.99 Million, my bad.:dead: you reaching like a mfer

show me where any of the teams you named are listed as big markets

Since you the one out here on an island you shows us where 3 million households is stated as the bench mark for a large market because i can guarantee you nobody in the history of anything has called the Boston Red Sox a small market team.