Found a Picture of my Great Great Great Grandparents, Born in the 1830s

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
He bought his freedom from his brother?

In about 1780, John became father to a mulatto child named Richard "dikk” by one of his female slaves. Her name and identity is unknown. When John died in 1791, dikk was not sold along with the other estate slaves. Instead, he was given 'special consideration'and willed to his own half-brother, Thomas.

dikk remained his brother's slave for 15 years until 1806, during which time he received instruction in blacksmithing and general farming. Although a slave, dikk acquired the skills of reading and writing, and his brother allowed him the freedom to work for other local planters. By this means, dikk saved $400 with which he purchased his own emancipation in 1806.

Jahbarri

Banned
Daps
Reppin
MONTREAL
My great great grandfather is alive and well in Barbados I need to go as soon as travel restrictions ease! He 96 , Ivan P went . My great grandmother died of breast cancer like 50 years ago so he’s been a widow never remarried. Can’t wait to meet him in the flesh, luckily I just gotta ask him about his grand parents and that will be like 5 generations removed

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
EDoWtab.jpg

:obama:

They were styling... I’m not exactly sure how they had the $, but I do know my great^3 grandfather was born free even though he was born in 1831. His grandfather bought his freedom for $400 from his half brother after his father died. “It is believed that *******. married one of Dr. Stuart's slaves’s but could not emancipate her. Nonetheless, he did succeed in purchasing the freedom, one by one, of all eight of his children - five sons and three daughters.” I had a cousin in the 80s who researched most of our genealogy back to the 1700s. Ancestry.com matches up with his summary, and some of the entries have pictures which is where I found this
Amazing!