Found a Picture of my Great Great Great Grandparents, Born in the 1830s

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
Good on you fam I can't even track my great great grandparents in Angola, my old man doesn't even know anything about his family line.

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
this is dope
There’s a woman who colorizes old ass pics like these, would be cool to see it in color and see the colors of their outfits poppin

Alternatively: r/colorizedhistory if you're on reddit...

Great pic, @Idaeo, thanks for sharing..

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
i always thought how we're connected is so weird

i have cousins in el salvador and all over the US that I haven't met. They have children and families. I could meet one of them and never know we're related

broller

Veteran
Daps
Cool photo. They look regal.

I always wonder when it become fashionable to smile in pictures. Back in the day no one smiled.

International Playa

Playa with a Passport
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cool photo. They look regal.

I always wonder when it become fashionable to smile in pictures. Back in the day no one smiled.

Taking a picture was a big deal & expensive. It was one take, no mistakes so folk have to be dressed in their best clothes.I think folk had to go to photo studios just to take a picture

Robo Squirrel

CEO @ Squirrel Burger: Fish & Chips
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Francisco, CA
EDoWtab.jpg

:obama:

They were styling... I’m not exactly sure how they had the $, but I do know my great^3 grandfather was born free even though he was born in 1831. His grandfather bought his freedom for $400 from his half brother after his father died. “It is believed that *******. married one of Dr. Stuart's slaves’s but could not emancipate her. Nonetheless, he did succeed in purchasing the freedom, one by one, of all eight of his children - five sons and three daughters.” I had a cousin in the 80s who researched most of our genealogy back to the 1700s. Ancestry.com matches up with his summary, and some of the entries have pictures which is where I found this

Update: here’s more info about him

Bassett was married to Susanna Evans. Susanna was the mother of his children. In 1877, their son Henry died at age 2 years, 6 months. In March 1916, Bassett married Martha Stark Robinson in King George County. King George County Deed Book 27, page 443, records the purchase by Bassett of 178.32 acres of land in Owens at $4.00 an acre. Bassett and his wife Susan were able to buy the land for taxes. But several sales of portions of the land are recorded thereafter. His heirs sold the estate in October 1920.
Coo.