GameStop announces Power Pass...$60/6 months game rentals. Keep one

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I think it’s dope.

Red Dead come out in 6 months. I drop 60 for this pass. Play all the games I want and just make Red Dead be the game I keep:yeshrug:

So for 60$ I played
Evil Witin 2
Wolfenstein
COD
AssCreed
Shadows of War
Destiny
Etc...

when my six months nearing it’s end I walk away with Red Dead:wow:

You gonna be scouring the city trying to find a gamestop with those in stick while they hot. Everyone is going to try and make their last game a new expensive title, who would want to keep some 10 dollar game. Even if you want the 10 dollar game you come out ahead getting the newer expensive game, selling it back to gamestop, and buying the cheap game with credit left to spare.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
You gonna be scouring the city trying to find a gamestop with those in stick while they hot. Everyone is going to try and make their last game a new expensive title, who would want to keep some 10 dollar game. Even if you want the 10 dollar game you come out ahead getting the newer expensive game, selling it back to gamestop, and buying the cheap game with credit left to spare.
This is perfect for that person who only buy one game a year. Spend 60$ and play a fukk ton a games until the game u really want to come out. Used games are in GS most times the next day
I don’t see how in any way is this a bad deal.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is perfect for that person who only buy one game a year. Spend 60$ and play a fukk ton a games until the game u really want to come out. Used games are in GS most times the next day
I listed why it's a bad deal. It discourages the trade and purchase of used games drying up the supply. If people can do this why buy and trade games at all but if people don't buy and trade how can this work?

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I listed why it's a bad deal. It discourages the trade and purchase of used games drying up the supply. If people can do this why buy and trade games at all but if people don't buy and trade how can this work?
Lol not everyone going to do this bro. shyt should be good. I kno people who buy all their games from Best Buy but don’t want to bother with GCU. This shyt ain’t for every one. People still going to trade in games all day

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

It's not a bad deal. I'm just saying if you expect to be able to waltz into a GS and find newer used games consistently you are fooling yourself. You find newer used games sitting on the shelf in GS because most people interested in that game early on would rather pay 60 for a new copy (48 at Best Buy or Amazon) than to pay 55 at GS for a used copy. If you turn GS into a blockbuster that copy is not going to sit there. It's going to be gone because it's a new game and also because there is a financial benefit to renting that game even if you don't want it (to get a higher trade in value at the end of your term).

Who I really feel bad for are the clerks that are going to have to answer the phone every 2 minutes telling people whether or not they have a particular used game in stock. That online stock checker is not going to be able to keep up with newer releases.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
It's not a bad deal. I'm just saying if you expect to be able to waltz into a GS and find newer used games consistently you are fooling yourself. You find newer used games sitting on the shelf in GS because most people interested in that game early on would rather pay 60 for a new copy (48 at Best Buy or Amazon) than to pay 55 at GS for a used copy. If you turn GS into a blockbuster that copy is not going to sit there. It's going to be gone because it's a new game and also because there is a financial benefit to renting that game even if you don't want it (to get a higher trade in value at the end of your term).

Who I really feel bad for are the clerks that are going to have to answer the phone every 2 minutes telling people whether or not they have a particular used game in stock. That online stock checker is not going to be able to keep up with newer releases.
It’s no different than GameFly to me except I could just pick something else up that day. I get what u saying tho.

It’s a good business move to attract traffic to the store.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Lol not everyone going to do this bro. shyt should be good. I kno people who buy all their games from Best Buy but don’t want to bother with GCU. This shyt ain’t for every one. People still going to trade in games all day
Not everyone but enough to change the supply dynamic they have now. If you buy 1 or 2 used games in 6 months this would work better.

With GCU Best Buy eats the loss in profits to get you in the store and it always works. With this if people slow up on trading in games the customers lose. When you can't find the games you want because less people are trading them in you eat that.

It's like Blockbuster Video. They never had enough copies of movies and half the time you'd walk in looking to rent a movie they'd be all out.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
This isn't a good idea. It means people buy less used games and trade in less games because they don't need to buy games. Eventually the supply of used games will dry up.

I get that Gamestop doesn't wanna die off but some businesses are meant to go extinct and a dedicated physical video game store is one of them. Gamestop should leverage all they have into becoming a publisher and get out of the direct retail sales business.
in the end, you are paying $60 for a used game. so while they are still doing what they're doing today, every subscription is a guaranteed sale. so it actually increases used games sales. not a bad supplement imo

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
in the end, you are paying $60 for a used game. so while they are still doing what they're doing today, every subscription is a guaranteed sale. so it actually increases used games sales. not a bad supplement imo

You can't say it increases used game sales if you don't know how many people who used to buy multiple used games every 6 months will now technically only be buying one.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
You can't say it increases used game sales if you don't know how many people who used to buy multiple used games every 6 months will now technically only be buying one.
that's not the only type of buyer to consider. besides do you really expect everyone like that to change up?