GameStop announces Power Pass...$60/6 months game rentals. Keep one

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
That's actually not a bad deal. But fukk Gamestop. I'd never shop there again :pacspit:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
in the end, you are paying $60 for a used game. so while they are still doing what they're doing today, every subscription is a guaranteed sale. so it actually increases used games sales. not a bad supplement imo
But right now if you want 3 different used games you have to buy them individually. That encourages you to buy and trade in your games when done to get different games.

That same customer is only gonna drop $60 for 6 months and instead of buying and trading in multiple games themselves they'll wait for someone else to trade them is so they can rent.

Also to the peeps still buying new games from Gamestop this is much more appealing so they might shift to this too.

The point is if less people are buying games then less are trading them in and you're choking the supply for this program. This isn't Gamefly where the copies are new games dedicated as rental copies this is used traded in stuff stocking the program.

Strikes me as a terminally ill company throwing a hail mary.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
But right now if you want 3 different used games you have to buy them individually. That encourages you to buy and trade in your games when done to get different games.

That same customer is only gonna drop $60 for 6 months and instead of buying and trading in multiple games themselves they'll wait for someone else to trade them is so they can rent.

Also to the peeps still buying new games from Gamestop this is much more appealing so they might shift to this too.

The point is if less people are buying games then less are trading them in and you're choking the supply for this program. This isn't Gamefly where the copies are new games dedicated as rental copies this is used traded in stuff stocking the program.

Strikes me as a terminally ill company throwing a hail mary.
again how many ppl that buy multiple games like that will be happy with one game at a time? new games are not relevant because we know that there is no money in that. currently people are doing this anyway...the differences are, you only have 7 days with a game and when it's all said and done, you can get your money back. no money back this way because as they see it you've already used the rental service. so the game you are stuck with now, needs to be traded in if you don't want it. and...AND...they have found a way to charge $60 for a used game.

you got it backwards breh. it's a self sustaining system

EVEN IF every single customer gamestop has does this it solidifies their used game business model and they could stop selling new games. all they have to do is tack a dollar or 2 on to any competitors trade value. it's brilliant

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Basically the success of game fly and digital media got them shook.

It's a good idea though, essential they are a used video rental store now.

Alot of people will eat this up and it'll be useful for them.

Screw game stop tho

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
again how many ppl that buy multiple games like that will be happy with one game at a time? new games are not relevant because we know that there is no money in that. currently people are doing this anyway...the differences are, you only have 7 days with a game and when it's all said and done, you can get your money back. no money back this way because as they see it you've already used the rental service. so the game you are stuck with now, needs to be traded in if you don't want it. and...AND...they have found a way to charge $60 for a used game.

you got it backwards breh. it's a self sustaining system

EVEN IF every single customer gamestop has does this it solidifies their used game business model and they could stop selling new games. all they have to do is tack a dollar or 2 on to any competitors trade value. it's brilliant
They need a supply of fresh newer games to keep this going. If I can just rent games from them for $10 a month why as a customer bother buying them. At the very least if I quit buying games or greatly reduced the games I buy due to this program then I'm no longer trading them in because I don't have them to do so. If they don't get tradeins how do people rent more recent titles?

If they wanna be the next gamefly then go ahead and do that but trying to merge a pawnshop with a rental place doesn't seem like it works well for consumable media.

Malik1time

What you looking at?
Daps
Reppin
Queens
USED games breh. This isn't a rental program for new games.
This doesn't interest me in the slightest. I can't think of the last time I rented a game, or even paid more than $48 for a game.
#GCUGANG
:ohhh: can you explain how you get games so cheap?
Paying 60 bucks for a game sucks:scust:

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
They need a supply of fresh newer games to keep this going. If I can just rent games from them for $10 a month why as a customer bother buying them. At the very least if I quit buying games or greatly reduced the games I buy due to this program then I'm no longer trading them in because I don't have them to do so. If they don't get tradeins how do people rent more recent titles?

If they wanna be the next gamefly then go ahead and do that but trying to merge a pawnshop with a rental place doesn't seem like it works well for consumable media.
you're focused on the rental part (like you are supposed to) but the real point is selling you a used game that you can't return for $60. all it's costing them is 6 months in the hole once it gets rolling

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
not sure why ppl are shytting on this. it's another option for gamers and can force competitors to come up with a better system if this takes off. i'm gonna rock with best buy GCU for a while but this ain't bad.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
you're focused on the rental part (like you are supposed to) but the real point is selling you a used game that you can't return for $60. all it's costing them is 6 months in the hole once it gets rolling
https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/middle-earth-shadow-of-war/140106
This is a used game that cost $54.99. Yay they got me to pay $5 more for it.

I get what you're getting at. You think this is a Planet Fitness model where people pay for the service then never use it and the service is so cheap that their desire to have it is more than their desire to take advantage of having it so they keep paying.

I don't see it that way. To me this is about as dumb at that $9.99 movie pass service. This will cause people to buy less used games not more of them.