Gary, Indiana

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I really don't appreciate these white and euro 'urban safari' ass videos examining urban decay and destruction of post industrial revolution black cities.

Gary is no different from parts of other major city (early 00s detroit, cleveland, pittsburgh, baltimore) which were built around a singular industry which went down. Gary is rough but its not INCREDIBLY UNIQUE in how or why it collapsed. The families which came up in 60s-early 80s Gary are very fortunate that they lived in a flourishing black city and their kids (ME) are probably doing very well in life.

fukk those exploitative videos in OP

If they only knew that the collapse of Gary is similar to the collapse in some areas in black Chicago.. Chicago shared the same steel mill jobs that stretched from Gary to the southside of Chicago during that time period. Those steel jobs left Chicago and Gary Indiana.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
If they only knew that the collapse of Gary is similar to the collapse in some areas in black Chicago.. Chicago shared the same steel mill jobs that stretched from Gary to the southside of Chicago during that time period. Those steel jobs left Chicago and Gary Indiana.
I wear my grandfather's 40 year engraved watch from US steel sometimes. RIP, he paid the cost so my pops had options in life :wow:

Big Mountain Hélà

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
954/718
I didn’t realize they were so close, only like 25 miles in between

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Is a waste of money the biggest cities in the regions have low col. money would be better off spent funding high speed rail between Chicago/mpls/Detroit. the Midwest population should simply relocate to these places.:yeshrug:
Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Gary should be invested in and it wouldn’t be a waste in my opinion

Daps
Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Gary should be invested in and it wouldn’t be a waste in my opinion
Take personal feelings aside do you think is smart to prop up places that been stagnant since 1960?
Is best to put money where future growth is expected to happen.
I do think these places will see benefit from climate change but I wouldn't expect massive gain.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Take personal feelings aside do you think is smart to prop up places that been stagnant since 1960?
Is best to put money where future growth is expected to happen.
I do think these places will see benefit from climate change but I wouldn't expect massive gain.
I’m not being emotional I don’t even know why you brought up feelings
It’s about making livable areas, the cities I mentioned have a bunch of room to grow, This isn’t about trying to make New York’s but strong cities for these states, Missouri Indiana Michigan Wisconsin and Ohio would benefit tremendously with a strong city and that would help build a stronger country
It is not sustainable trying to make a handful of states support the whole 52
If usa ever going to hold a billion plus people several states will have to step up

Big Mountain Hélà

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
954/718
I’m not being emotional I don’t even know why you brought up feelings
It’s about making livable areas, the cities I mentioned have a bunch of room to grow, This isn’t about trying to make New York’s but strong cities for these states, Missouri Indiana Michigan Wisconsin and Ohio would benefit tremendously with a strong city and that would help build a stronger country
It is not sustainable trying to make a handful of states support the whole 52
If usa ever going to hold a billion plus people several states will have to step up
All they have to do is fix the infrastructure and market it right and people will go.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
I drove through it in June on my way to Michigan from Chicago and I was slightly impressed . Yeah, you have the run down areas that you see on the news but parts of Gary look revitalized, especially their Downtown area. Beautiful minor league ballpark :whoo:

They have some of their steelmills still going strong with "Now Hiring" signs too.