Ghostbusters getting rebooted again

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
It can be about chess or whatever. A good movie is a good movie. shyt could be about backgammon. His point is when you’re given something and don’t show out, you won’t get more of it. That’s with any business. And queen is a great movie, with an all black cast, produced by a large ass studio. They promoted the hell out of it and it still bombed.

Money talks. Every single time.

We’ve seemingly made the decision, and I’ve seen it said here plenty of times and just in convos with my friends, that movie theaters are only for big movies now. Movies with explosions and car chases and gun shots etc. If the shyt is a drama, they’ll wait for it to hit Netflix or bootleg it. That’s a specific choice people are making with their money and Hollywood is listening to that choice.

And I can’t say Kin bombed in marketing because I saw the shyt marketed quite a damn bit. Not just online either. But that’s me. Can’t soeak for anyone else
It bombed because it was a movie about a damn board game. That's like making a movie out of Uno. No one wants to see that shyt. IF it aint something like Jumaji or something spooky like Ouiji where theres actio/suspense but its just going to be about something like chess, than they can save it, no matter how many black faces they put in it.

Kin was sabotaged due to the lack of marketing and output from the studio: https://www.quora.com/Is-there-or-should-there-be-a-sequel-to-the-movie-Kin

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It bombed because it was a movie about a damn board game. That's like making a movie out of Uno. No one wants to see that shyt. IF it aint something like Jumaji or something spooky like Ouiji where theres actio/suspense but its just going to be about something like chess, than they can save it, no matter how many black faces they put in it.

Kin was sabotaged due to the lack of marketing and output from the studio: https://www.quora.com/Is-there-or-should-there-be-a-sequel-to-the-movie-Kin

It’s a good fukking movie not just about “a board game.” There’s actual drama there between the characters and one in particular trying to make a better life for herself and using chess as a way out. No different from someone using basketball or football or any other thing as a way out. It’s a human story. It’s an original idea that was pushed by a big company to an audience that claims they want original stories. Original stories, for me, doesnt just mean I want original sci-fi stories or original action stories. It means give me everything in whatever genre you have.

So if that means it’s a movie about a little black girl discovering she’s got a gift and using that gift to make her life better and better those around her, and it’s based on actual human interaction and real character with great dialogue and great acting, that’s what I want to see.

Like I said, we’ve decided that some movies are for theaters and some are for home. A drama is for home, a big blockbuster is for theaters. Therefore you’re only going to get more big blockbusters mining properties that have already shown themselves to be global hits or parts of long lasting franchises. That’s the game.

Hollywood is a business and that business is all about figuring out what do people want to see. And so far, the answer has been what we’ve gotten. If we want the shyt to change, gotta put our money where our mouths are. Period. That shyt will not change.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
It’s a good fukking movie not just about “a board game.” There’s actual drama there between the characters and one in particular trying to make a better life for herself and using chess as a way out. No different from someone using basketball or football or any other thing as a way out. It’s a human story. It’s an original idea that was pushed by a big company to an audience that claims they want original stories. Original stories, for me, doesnt just mean I want original sci-fi stories or original action stories. It means give me everything in whatever genre you have.

So if that means it’s a movie about a little black girl discovering she’s got a gift and using that gift to make her life better and better those around her, and it’s based on actual human interaction and real character with great dialogue and great acting, that’s what I want to see.

Like I said, we’ve decided that some movies are for theaters and some are for home. A drama is for home, a big blockbuster is for theaters. Therefore you’re only going to get more big blockbusters mining properties that have already shown themselves to be global hits or parts of long lasting franchises. That’s the game.

Hollywood is a business and that business is all about figuring out what do people want to see. And so far, the answer has been what we’ve gotten. If we want the shyt to change, gotta put our money where our mouths are. Period. That shyt will not change.
Man look it doesn’t matter if it’s a good fukking movie or not, the premise was about a girl getting good in chess, she could’ve been from Scandinavia and that shyt wouldn’t have flown. And I bet Kin would’ve done much better if there was a strategic marketing campaign for the movie but the problem is the studio wanted to bury the movie quick. Young straight black boy with a super weapon threatening white people? Oh nooo we can’t have that :beli:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Man look it doesn’t matter if it’s a good fukking movie or not, the premise was about a girl getting good in chess, she could’ve been from Scandinavia and that shyt wouldn’t have flown. And I bet Kin would’ve done much better if there was a strategic marketing campaign for the movie but the problem is the studio wanted to bury the movie quick. Young straight black boy with a super weapon threatening white people? Oh nooo we can’t have that :beli:

Yeah you and I just disagree on it. I’m with you on the fact that not all movies are promoted equally, yes. But the fact that we get so many original movies a year that are promoted properly in conjunction with their budgets and they still bomb shows that people have made that choice. This is the shyt Lucas and Spielberg said would happen years ago: original movies would be relegated to dustbins or streaming services while theaters would be packed with blockbusters and established IPs. They’ll take chances every now and then with them but they’re going to make safe bets.

Nothing I’ve seen in the past 6-7 years has disproved their predictions. So like the guy from Forbes said, this is on the moviegoing public for showing where they want to spend their money and how.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Jason Reitman is a hack who somehow managed to make his legacy of nepotism worse by making sure that Diablo Cody still has a career to this day too. Literally the only good part about this news is that they threw the female Ghostbusters shyt in the trash.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trying to reach the younger audience with the teens but that's not going to work. They need to chase that nostalgia factor from us 30+ year olds for that easy money and if it's actually good it should have legs at the box office if they don't sandwich it in between some sure bets like Marvel and DC

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
I bet one of them is going to be gay. If theres a black man hes a buffoon or gay and if shes a black woman than shes a nerd wench like the TTMNT reboot of April O'Neal who is black now :shaq2:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

that statement is not true .. and I agree with @MartyMcFly ... you say it flopped cause it was about chess ... akelah and the spelling bee was about a spelling bee .. its about a girl getting good at spelling and was told to stop tapping which was her method of finding her rhythm .. that's more boring that chess but it worked.. ... bad words was about a spelling bee... and this old man trynna get his fame..

Last edited:

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
that statement is not true .. and I agree with @MartyMcFly ... you say it flopped cause it was about chess ... akelah and the spelling bee was about a spelling bee .. its about a girl getting good at spelling and was told to stop tapping which was her method of finding her rhythm .. that's more boring that chess but it worked.. ... bad words was about a spelling bee...
Bullshyt, Akelah movie was more marketable because you rarely, if ever, see black kids in spelling bee contests, so that movie inspired young kids to be in the spelling bee, plus it had a very low budget so it had no room to flop. It made twice as much as it’s budget. QoK is about a game very few play. That’s what the movie centered on. When was the last time a movie about Learning a board Game became a hit?? You could’ve thought about that instead of riding on another man without your own thought process.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I mean I didnt hate the female reboot, but even if this new one connects to the old movies, its gonna be hard to convince this cranky old audience to accept it if its a main young cast, but honestly thats the only thing you can do with the remaining 3 members in supporting roles which people dont even want