How Can We Have REAL African Unity? (Get All The African Cultures In One Banner?)

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
First we have to understand the extreme diversity that there is in Africa. North, West, Central, Eastern and South Africa are all quite different. Add to that different histories : some affected by slavery, others not, some colonized by the French, some by the English etc, different religions, writings, and obviously languages...all of that leads to very different realities and cultures. Europe is small as hell and it's extremely diverse.

I have no problem with Somalis, Ethiopians or whatever saying they're not Black, some are and some aren't, and anyway it's not up to me to tell people how they should identify. Where I DO have a problem is for them (or others) saying that they're not African.

There is this perception that "Black" and "African" are interchangeable, which is wrong. Most Africans are indeed Black, but not all of them, that's just the reality. Just like Most Europeans are White, but not all of them. This is a big issue imo that a lot of Africans (Black and non-Black) have. Until we don't accept that any kind of continental "union" makes no sense whatsoever even pursuing.

Anyway most viable thing to do is push for regional integration. AU is way too ambitious for example.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
First we have to understand the extreme diversity that there is in Africa. North, West, Central, Eastern and South Africa are all quite different. Add to that different histories : some affected by slavery, others not, some colonized by the French, some by the English etc, different religions, writings, and obviously languages...all of that leads to very different realities and cultures. Europe is small as hell and it's extremely diverse.

I have no problem with Somalis, Ethiopians or whatever saying they're not Black, some are and some aren't, and anyway it's not up to me to tell people how they should identify. Where I DO have a problem is for them (or others) saying that they're not African.

There is this perception that "Black" and "African" are interchangeable, which is wrong. Most Africans are indeed Black, but not all of them, that's just the reality. Just like Most Europeans are White, but not all of them. This is a big issue imo that a lot of Africans (Black and non-Black) have. Until we don't accept that any kind of continental "union" makes no sense whatsoever even pursuing.

Anyway most viable thing to do is push for regional integration. AU is way too ambitious for example.

Dapped for distinguishing between African and Black, but I don't necessarily co-sign the need for Unions. Regional or otherwise.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism

So, which Africans aren't Black for example? I've heard people say that Ethiopians were indigenous people and the same for Somalis.

P.S. which Euros aren't White? I've been researching this history for about a year now, but still learning about some issues.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
African unity isn't happening. Hell look at Europe they aren't united. Even though they have a European Union it is close to collapse and if the UK votes for Brexit then the EU is dead. Africa is very diverse to have unity. I always said the key for Africa to stop foreign intrigue is to have regional powers. If Africa had 3 or four regional powers with decent strong militaries they could present a problem for the west like what Iran and India.
Nigeria S Africa Kenya Ethiopia Congo need to step it up

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
So, which Africans aren't Black for example? I've heard people say that Ethiopians were indigenous people and the same for Somalis.

P.S. which Euros aren't White? I've been researching this history for about a year now, but still learning about some issues.
Algerian,Moroccan,Tunisian,Egypt. They consider themselves as Arabs or Berber first before they consider themselves African. These nations see themselves as an extension of the middle east.

ZoeGod

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Nigeria S Africa Kenya Ethiopia Congo need to step it up
Word the lack of a real African black regional superpower is disturbing. Look at regional powers like India,Israel,Turkey,Pakistan,Iran,Russia,Brazilthey aren't to be fukked with.

EthioLady

Rookie
Daps
OP stop asking silly questions, everyone in Ethiopia is black and African.

Oromo's.
cNn7RAg.jpg

Amhara's.
t2ZncmO.jpg

zIhrjSG.jpg

Tigrayan's.
MZyizx7.jpg

mWq8ooc.jpg

ApVvfeq.jpg

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
OP stop asking silly questions, everyone in Ethiopia is black and African.

Oromo's.
cNn7RAg.jpg

Amhara's.
t2ZncmO.jpg

zIhrjSG.jpg

Tigrayan's.
MZyizx7.jpg

mWq8ooc.jpg

ApVvfeq.jpg
No 1, you ask questions if you don't know something. What's silly to you may not be silly to me if I don't know. I've heard Ethiopians claim they weren't Black. Thank you, for clearing that up though :obama:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

Most north-Africans are not Black. Some people from the Horn of Africa def are Black, but others wouldn't be considered "Black" by most here ("Ethiopians" is at least like 10 different ethnicities if I recall correctly, some who look like Southern Sudanese Black people, others that look more like the "typical" image associated with Ethiopians -light-skin, long hair-). We all know there are descendants of Indian and Chinese descent on the East coast. Madagascar has natives who look Asian. One must also include all those of Lebanese descent in various countries, as well as the native white population in places like SA, Lusophone countries, etc. Whether afrocentrists (or those populations themselves) like it or not, those people are African. But not Black.

I'm European, yet I'm mixed. We're now on the third or fourth generation of migrants in Europe, so some Europeans are fully Black or fully Arab or fully Asian.

Again, this comes from the widespread confusion that African or European are ethnicities. They're not. African or European means that one is from the continent of Africa or Europe, regardless of color. Same way Black Americans are Americans, and White Americans are American.

Algerian,Moroccan,Tunisian,Egypt. They consider themselves as Arabs or Berber first before they consider themselves African. These nations see themselves as an extension of the middle east.

Maghreb countries ARE Berbers, which are native populations of Northern African. So it's normal they consider themselves like that, that's what they are, il's like saying Fulfudé people consider themselves Fulfudés before African. One does not exclde the other. I know enough people from Morocco and Algeria who fully consider themselves Africans.

And if you keep up with news from that area, there is a big movement now on turning their back on the Arab influence (meaning from the Middle-East). Those countries are using more and more the local dialects as opposed to Arab. And Morocco in particular now has a very offensive strategy towards the rest of Africa, giving scholarships to students, developping Royal Air Maroc southwards rather than Eastwards and doing big investments. There is a growing resentment in Maghreb countries against the influence of Middle-East countries, whose inhabitants consider themselves superior to North Africans. Turning towards the Middle-East was a political and economic move, nothing more, nothing less.

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
Total Black African unity prob wont ever happen.
However most likely Central and West African countries can most easily manage it, possibly include South African countries as well.
An effective cooperative Coalition involving:

Nigeria
Ghana
Cote d'Ivoire
Gabon
DRC (If they can get their shyt together)
Angola

Would have the world shaking at it knees, getting South Africa in would be a boon as well.
The priority would be the first six however.
Apart from really Kenya most of east Africa would just be a bonus. But as of right now unnecessary.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All these questions seem to be a deflection from going outside, Taking your able body, digging your hands in the ground and forming what your people need out of the earth. It sounds SO goddamn cowardly to not do that. We ask a million questions. When in that time we could have read several pages in a book on some technical skill. Wasting time and energy trying to find a way to unify and other goofy shyt when our problem isn't unity at all. nikkas unify real fukkin fast when a blunt go in the air. I see it first hand. transgressions disappear instantly when a bottle or a blunt get put in the air. Our issue isn't unity, it's commerce and trade. And that has to be preceded by learning. So we need commerce and trade solutions. Not unity. Go read a agriculture book. Go read a irrigation systems book. Go read a Java script book. Stop being lazy and build the community you want NOW. STARTING THIS VERY SECOND. Do we really have time to philosophy how to not starve and be bullied? NO!

ZoeGod

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Maghreb countries ARE Berbers, which are native populations of Northern African. So it's normal they consider themselves like that, that's what they are, il's like saying Fulfudé people consider themselves Fulfudés before African. One does not exclde the other. I know enough people from Morocco and Algeria who fully consider themselves Africans.

And if you keep up with news from that area, there is a big movement now on turning their back on the Arab influence (meaning from the Middle-East). Those countries are using more and more the local dialects as opposed to Arab. And Morocco in particular now has a very offensive strategy towards the rest of Africa, giving scholarships to students, developping Royal Air Maroc southwards rather than Eastwards and doing big investments. There is a growing resentment in Maghreb countries against the influence of Middle-East countries, whose inhabitants consider themselves superior to North Africans. Turning towards the Middle-East was a political and economic move, nothing more, nothing less.
Egypt seems to see itself an extension of the mideast. Can't blame them for they have the largest population of Arabs. Plus it's borders Israel. Algeria is an interesting case. They really don't kiss the GCC's ass and care less about mideast issues but are still part of the Arab league. And if what you say that is the right move going forward for North Africa.

ZoeGod

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Africa also needs security alliances to deal with the rise of Islamic militancy which has worsen thanks to the instability of Libya. France's military mission in their former colonies it's has been a failure. An African regional versions of NATO,SCO,CSTO security alliance that can deal with the rise of militancy. There is potential because Nigeria,Niger and Cameron worked together to deal with Boko Haram. The future of West Africa is going to face more Islamic insurgencies. Also a regional security alliance can intervene in civil wars without western influence. A west African security alliance at this time is important because with more instability the susceptible they will do western intrigue.