How Internet Producers Took Over Mainstream Hip-Hop.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Full Article How Internet Producers Took Over Mainstream Hip-Hop
On August 4, 2017, Chris Brown’s single “Pills & Automobiles” was certified platinum by the RIAA. This in itself is not remarkable, since the R&B singer has amassed more than 40 platinum plaques over the course of his career. But the single’s success was noteworthy for a different reason. For decades, a star at Brown’s level would solicit ideas for a new single from a small group of established producers with a long history of hits and deep connections in the music industry. But for “Pills & Automobiles,” Brown crafted the track using an instrumental from two relatively unheralded beat-makers — Jordan Hutchins and Felix Rodriguez, known as the Martianz — who came up by selling beats online to aspiring rappers all over the world.

Producers like the Martianz used to be internet curios, far removed from commercial juggernauts like Brown. Occasionally the two worlds merged together, as when Kanye West included a lengthy snippet of Desiigner’s “Panda” — made from a beat purchased online for $200 — on The Life of Pablo in 2016. But now the Martianz and other producers relying on a similar business model are frequently creating some of the most popular songs in the country. In September, Tay-K’s “The Race” peaked just outside of the Top 40; producer S. Diesel sells his beats online. Similar recent hits include Lil Pump’s “Gucci Gang” (No. 3 on the Hot 100, co-produced by BigHead on the Beat), YBN Nahmir’s “Rubbin Off the Paint” (No. 46, produced by Izak) and Lil Skies’s “Nowadays” (No. 55, produced by CashMoneyAP). Those are all young acts, but other established artists besides Brown called on internet producers as well — see Future and Rihanna’s “Selfish” (No. 37, co-produced by Mantra) and 2 Chainz’s “Blue Cheese” (from Pretty Girls Like Trap Music, which sold over 500,000 album-equivalent units, co-produced by K Swisha).

Last edited:

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Video from Genius on the same subject as well but I don't agree with it fully. They argued it's why a lot of rap sounds the same.

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
I gave up on rap/hip-hop as a career. Too saturated and it’s not sustainable if you’re not a touring artist.

yep, these flash in the pan get rich quick no love for the art form bozos ruined the art, now you have to find an artist and become their in house producer and pray they blow up, which makes it 200% harder cuz chances a rapper gets on is slim

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
yep, these flash in the pan get rich quick no love for the art form bozos ruined the art, now you have to find an artist and become their in house producer and pray they blow up, which makes it 200% harder cuz chances a rapper gets on is slim
Best option is electronic infused rap now, not a lot of electronic producers pair their sounds up with rappers. I think it would be really fresh, that’s at least what I want to do

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member

The irony of your post and name when it was Curly who started trying to cheap out with Internet producers that helped kick off this wave.....

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
The irony of your post and name when it was Curly who started trying to cheap out with Internet producers that helped kick off this wave.....

I know now a lot of industry artists now get their beats from guys on youtube if not most. But I know some producers don't like it like 9th wonder.

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!

APEX was a big no name producer, he was #1 on soundclick for a while, so was Johnny Juliano. and that album was flooded with real producers, why you so mad at 50 for? :dwillhuh:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
APEX was a big no name producer, he was #1 on soundclick for a while, so was Johnny Juliano. and that album was flooded with real producers, why you so mad at 50 for? :dwillhuh:

You really just typed out 'Big' and 'No Name' right next to each other?

You said it yourself, he was found on Soundclick. He also talks about getting jerked for the beat.

Im not mad at 50 at all, I just think it was ironic that '50centstan' was upset at artists doing this when 50 Cent himself did it.