How long till you realize that SirBiatch is right about Live.Love.ASAP?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
yeah... that was within weeks of Purple Swag being released, which came out months before Live.Love.ASAP.

When Live.Love.ASAP was close to being released, he was already signed. Everyone knew this. The narrative was "who the fukk is this guy who got signed for 3 mil and has almost no music? Just some songs called Purple Swag and Peso?"

A$AP Rocky Talks $3 Million Record Deal, Mainstream Acceptance | Pitchfork

so no.... it's not like Kendrick or Cole or Chance or Drake at all. Dunno why you insist on putting them on the same level. These guys were releasing entire projects with name features on them talking about 'we independent' :mjlol: Not nearly the same thing and you know this.
What major features were on Cole or Kendrick's mixtapes, or Sec80? None. You're trying to make Chance the standard when he is not. Rocky was not bidding for labels, he was already on one. That's the point. This is a standard marketing move.

Even with Chance...having an Action Bronson feature doesn't suggest shyt. Neither does a Twista or Ab Soul feature. An independent artist can get all of them on an album. But Chance isn't independent. The features are irrelevant. Q is on Rocky's album. So what.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
What major features were on Cole or Kendrick's mixtapes, or Sec80?

Cole was Jay-Z's protege and had a whole label centered around him.

Kendrick had RZA and J Cole
Kendrick Lamar 'Blessed' To Get RZA On 'Ronald Reagan Era'
Kendrick Lamar Speaks On The Meaning Behind "HiiiPoWeR," Working With J. Cole

Even with Chance...having an Action Bronson feature doesn't suggest shyt. Neither does a Twista or Ab Soul feature. An independent artist can get all of them on an album. But Chance isn't independent. The features are irrelevant. Q is on Rocky's album. So what.

:duck:

Tales aside, Schoolboy Q was not a name feature by the time he was on Live.Love.ASAP. As I said, "major" feature. And let me explain that before you juelz about Twista not being a major feature. A major feature is someone who's well-known with a pre-existing fanbase, and can be a talking point for news articles promoting your album. e.g. the news articles talking about RZA and Cole on Section80

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Cole was Jay-Z's protege and had a whole label centered around him.

Kendrick had RZA and J Cole
Kendrick Lamar 'Blessed' To Get RZA On 'Ronald Reagan Era'
Kendrick Lamar Speaks On The Meaning Behind "HiiiPoWeR," Working With J. Cole

:duck:

Tales aside, Schoolboy Q was not a name feature by the time he was on Live.Love.ASAP. As I said, "major" feature. And let me explain that before you juelz about Twista not being a major feature. A major feature is someone who's well-known with a pre-existing fanbase, and can be a talking point for news articles promoting your album. e.g. the news articles talking about RZA and Cole on Section80

Kendrick and Cole had been in the studio long before that, and toured together. Your point? I'm not counting a beat as a feature.

RZA? Oh wow, RZA!
:mjlol:

Breh literally rambles a couple words. Ok sure tho.

You've created a criteria out your ass. Tech9 is independent and gets major label artist features. As does Kweli, Rapsody, and various other rappers. Chance getting a fellow Chicago rapper on his album is not some amazing feat. Nor is getting Bronson. Ab is an independent artist obviously so that feature made sense.

Meanwhile you haven't disproven the fact that Rocky had a deal while claiming he was independent. Which is what plants always do. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with it. This is the game.

But hey I'm just a guy who worked for a label, what do I know
:mjlol:

I'm out.

SirBiatch

Daps
full

when shyt gets real, hit em with the santana and flee :russ:

Work for a label and pretend cosigns aren't a huge deal, brehs. That Rocky jealousy :wow:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
when shyt gets real, hit em with the santana and flee :russ:

Work for a label and pretend cosigns aren't a huge deal, brehs. That Rocky jealousy :wow:

Now you've moved to cosigns huh. You were talking about album features being a sign that someone is actually on a label, and your main example (Chance) doesn't make any sense based off the unimpressive and inexpensive features on Acid Rap.

You almost sound like a Cole fan right now obsessing over features lol.

SirBiatch

Daps
Now you've moved to cosigns huh. You were talking about album features being a sign that someone is actually on a label, and your main example (Chance) doesn't make any sense based off the unimpressive and inexpensive features on Acid Rap.

You almost sound like a Cole fan right now obsessing over features lol.

no we're not. I was talking about 'major' features. Huge difference.

There's no point having a convo with you if you're gonna flat out lie.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
no we're not. I was talking about 'major' features. Huge difference.

There's no point having a convo with you if you're gonna flat out lie.
I meant major features my bad. And these major features to you are...Bronson, Twista...
:jbhmm:

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
I meant major features my bad. And these major features to you are...Bronson, Twista...
:jbhmm:
As an insider with more knowledge of these things, how much would you say acid rap cost to put together, ballpark figure?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
As an insider with more knowledge of these things, how much would you say acid rap cost to put together, ballpark figure?
It's a mixtape so the costs mainly revolve around shyt like studio time and production and are overall low. But outside of Jake One there are no expensive big name producers on there. The features aren't noteworthy either. Twista is from Chicago so there's a connection, Gambino is Chance's friend, Ab Soul isn't on Interscope but obviously has ties through TDE, etc. Given the type of artist Chance is and his promotion I'd bet a lot of his features on Coloring Book for instance come from favor for a favor shyt.

I'd bet they spent more money on promo than making Acid Rap.

SirBiatch

Daps
One of the best trap instrumentals ever. That superhero, Dark Knight theme music :damn::whew::banderas::wow:

Street and creative all at the same time :blessed:

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
I agree ASAP is more grass roots than Kendrick/Chance/Cole.

It was front and center that he was signed.