Hulu's....Wu Tang: An American Saga Official Thread 9/8

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
As someone stated in this thread, Method man is the complete team player. He's the Tim Duncan of the Wu. As big and popular as he was EARLY, he still showed up to video shoots and hopped on everyone's albums. This continued well into his acting career on Oz, the Wire, and even now he still shows up and drops verses at Wu shows. Deck, U God, Masta killah, Gza, and Rza were going to be there, but it seems like ODB was the biggest problem and he was one of the most popular members. My mother knew who ODB was back in 1994 and 1995 when I was in high school. That's saying something..

Every group has their David Ruffin:francis:

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As someone stated in this thread, Method man is the complete team player. He's the Tim Duncan of the Wu. As big and popular as he was EARLY, he still showed up to video shoots and hopped on everyone's albums. This continued well into his acting career on Oz, the Wire, and even now he still shows up and drops verses at Wu shows. Deck, U God, Masta killah, Gza, and Rza were going to be there, but it seems like ODB was the biggest problem and he was one of the most popular members. My mother knew who ODB was back in 1994 and 1995 when I was in high school. That's saying something..
I don’t ever recall hearing any sound bites or reading any comments where Meth expressed any ill feelings or disrespect towards his Wu-family. Even with being the frontman and the most mainstream accessible member of his crew, he still represents and shows love for his brothas. He could have had an ego the size of Mt. Everest when other members were getting at him, but he kept it cool for the most part. It’s wild watching him go from M.E.T.H.O.D. Man to playing a big shot attorney in the POWER universe.

As far as ODB goes, his unpredictable and uncontrollable acts added to his allure and popularity, while simultaneously building towards his untimely end. You never know what you will get with him. R.I.P.

LandryFieldsDad

All Star
Daps
I didn't want to make a separate thread on this..I feel like it makes sense to post here..

A lot of the show focused on deck not getting his solo deal while everyone else was the flood etc...

When his album finally did come out only 2 wu members appeared on it.. Anyone know why that is?

Just u God and Masta killa

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I didn't want to make a separate thread on this..I feel like it makes sense to post here..

A lot of the show focused on deck not getting his solo deal while everyone else was the flood etc...

When his album finally did come out only 2 wu members appeared on it.. Anyone know why that is?

Just u God and Masta killa

The Wu wasn’t as unified in 99 as they had been in previous years. After Wu-Tang Forever and the disaster of the Rage tour and the Hot 97 debacle i’m sure RZA might’ve been burnt out, he also mandated that their be a limit on how many members appeared on solo albums because he didn’t want the whole group on projects when the labels were only paying for solos. Raekwon wanted to do his own thing. Ghostface was in prison, ODB was in prison, GZA was focused on recording his own album.

Deck was really a victim of a series of unfortunate circumstances.

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
This happened to me with LL. Bought the Mr Smith album off the strength of 'Loungin' but the album had the original and not the remix.

I saw Busta at a show in 01 in DC

me and the homies were wild drunk and we he did Pass the Courvoisier the entire venue lost their fukking minds

anyways I had copped Genesis a week or two before and had gone all through the tracks and the song I was seeing all the videos for wasn't on there :francis:
I was hoping maybe it was a secret track on there or something :beli:

we get back from the show hype af, had bottles in the crib, and tryna keep the party going.

No lie, I knew the song wasn't on the cd but I let them spend a half hour looking for the version we heard at the show :mjlol:

in my heart of hurts tho I was really hoping they'd find it
shyt dampened the whole vibe when we couldn't :mjcry:

good times tho :ehh:

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he also mandated that their be a limit on how many members appeared on solo albums because he didn’t want the whole group on projects when the labels were only paying for solos.
What? Where's that from? First I've heard of that...

Many solos had most available members &, like you mentioned, the members missing off most the other solos are the ones who did bids (ODB/Ghost) or GZA who has the fewest appearances of anyone anyways.

Tical 2 had everyone but Dirt, GZA & Ghost (RZA didn't spit but produced)

BDIS just missed Rae, GZA & U (Deck didn't spit but produced)

BTS had everyone but Ghost & Rae ( Deck didn't spit but produced & was on the Breaker Breaker remix)

NP had no guest spots, but that was mostly due to how sporadically it was recorded than anything...it was hard enough to get Dirt in the studio for that one

GAR missed GZA, Ghost, Dirt & Masta, but all the Park Hill crew was present

US was just U & Masta w/ RZA producing & IMMOBILARITY was just Masta & Meth.

and then next year SC just missed ODB (Deck produced but didn't spit)

Seems the only ones light on crew features (besides Dirt obviously) were the Loud releases & it's been confirmed Rae wanted to establish his own thing w/ ACT.

Did Deck similarly want to shine on his own? Was he trying to get more of his production going doing 1/3 of the album himself? You'd think some members he did beats for could have hit him back w/ a verse in return. But again, he only spit on 2 solos in that time himself. Was it just too hectic to line up schedules w/ all those albums recorded & dropping between 97-00?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
What? Where's that from? First I've heard of that...

Many solos had most available members &, like you mentioned, the members missing off most the other solos are the ones who did bids (ODB/Ghost) or GZA who has the fewest appearances of anyone anyways.

Tical 2 had everyone but Dirt, GZA & Ghost (RZA didn't spit but produced)

BDIS just missed Rae, GZA & U (Deck didn't spit but produced)

BTS had everyone but Ghost & Rae ( Deck didn't spit but produced & was on the Breaker Breaker remix)

NP had no guest spots, but that was mostly due to how sporadically it was recorded than anything...it was hard enough to get Dirt in the studio for that one

GAR missed GZA, Ghost, Dirt & Masta, but all the Park Hill crew was present

US was just U & Masta w/ RZA producing & IMMOBILARITY was just Masta & Meth.

and then next year SC just missed ODB (Deck produced but didn't spit)

Seems the only ones light on crew features (besides Dirt obviously) were the Loud releases & it's been confirmed Rae wanted to establish his own thing w/ ACT.

Did Deck similarly want to shine on his own? Was he trying to get more of his production going doing 1/3 of the album himself? You'd think some members he did beats for could have hit him back w/ a verse in return. But again, he only spit on 2 solos in that time himself. Was it just too hectic to line up schedules w/ all those albums recorded & dropping between 97-00?

He said it in an issue of The Source around the time Supreme dropped. I’ll try to find a link if possible

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
i agree

i would've been mad as shyt to get the album and hear that version

that happened to me ALOT as a kid....fukking radio play the remixes like they the ogs, then you buy the album and its a whole different song :snoop:
The remix was released MONTHS after the album. The album came out in November of 94(marketed with Redman's Darez a Darkside) in Def Jam's Month of the Man. The rza Mary J/Puffy versions were released 5 or 6 months later in 95. But this definitely happened a lot with songs. Yoyo's "you can't play with my yoyo" video/radio verison is not the version from the cd. K solo's "mom's in my business" video version is not the album version. MC Hammer's Let's Get it Started album had different versions for his 2 biggest hits on the album. Turn this mutha out and "they put me in the mix". I was pissed.

you saw this version on BET and heard it on the radio

but got this version on the tape if you didn't have the single.

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He said it in an issue of The Source around the time Supreme dropped. I’ll try to find a link if possible
2000 is when he released the Wu members from their Wu-Tang Productions contracts so he couldn't have controlled their appearances then anyway...

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
2000 is when he released the Wu members from their Wu-Tang Productions contracts so he couldn't have controlled their appearances then anyway...

Your forgetting all the other stuff I listed that was a factor as well. Ghost was in jail. ODB was in jail. GZA was working on Beneath The Surface. Raekwon was working on Immobilarity. Meth was working on Blackout. 98-2000 were really busy times for Wu members, the actual projects may not reflect that (Immobilarity and Uncontrolled Substance underwhelmed) but all the members were either in jail or working on projects except for Masta Killah

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your forgetting all the other stuff I listed that was a factor as well. Ghost was in jail. ODB was in jail. GZA was working on Beneath The Surface. Raekwon was working on Immobilarity. Meth was working on Blackout. 98-2000 were really busy times for Wu members, the actual projects may not reflect that (Immobilarity and Uncontrolled Substance underwhelmed) but all the members were either in jail or working on projects except for Masta Killah

I agreed w/ the other stuff you posted in my initial response. I just never heard of RZA limit members appearances before which is why I was asking where it came from. That's all.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
RZA showed Rae was hating the most on Forever orchestra production in this show. But, when you listen to

it (especially Disc 2), Chef is mainly on every song; since he confirmed in his book that alot of the Wu members went m.i.a during that whole session:patrice::lupe:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
RZA showed Rae was hating the most on Forever orchestra production in this show. But, when you listen to

it (especially Disc 2), Chef is mainly on every song; since he confirmed in his book that alot of the Wu members went m.i.a during that whole session:patrice::lupe:

RZA also said something similar in an interview about 8 Diagrams. He said Rae was complaining about the beats, but on the most tracks. This could've also been a reference to that. However, Rae has said in a few interviews how he wasn't feeling the style of some of the beats on Wu-Forever.

TheJet

Superstar
Daps
Y'all heard Mef joking on WZA during his breakfast Club interview?