I cant see this era of oversaturated digital music being preserved like the music in physical format

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
For example, 90's underground Texas rappers like Z Ro and K Rino have their early music reserved for today courtesy of physical music formats like records, tapes and CD's. Physical copies created whats called "collectors." But how will this era of digital music be preserved for the future when you have hundreds of current underground Texas rappers making digital music? Will there be whats called "digital collectors?"... Will someone really keep a USB of all this underground oversaturation?? We are in an era where music listeners download music and put songs they dont really care about in the recycling bin when they need space on their computers not to mention music lost from computers and phones due to reboots and phone damage. With records, tapes and CD's you could preserve physically to the point that people till this day still have records that were underground from the 40's 50's and 60's But can an underground rapper/artist in 2016 be preserved for 50 years digitally?? I'm sure an artist on a major distributor wont have such problems because they have masters but I dont know how these current underground artists will be preserved for the future.

I remember the demise of Napster and Limewire and I noticed again we are caught up in this idea that sites like Youtube or Datpiff will be around forever but if Datpiff and Youtube shut down tommorow, so many unknowns material will disappear along with their build up of momentum to the point they would have to start all over again. I say that because I have come across so much quality music via Youtube and Soundcloud yet let a few months or years go by and I go look for the artists music and their account has been deleted or songs removed to the point I would actually go looking for the artist asking them were did their music go? I currently have a bunch of music from unknown artists that I ripped from Youtube and Soundlcoud that dont even exist on those sites anymore. I liked the music so much that I wanted to keep it but its like once they were deleted, their souls were removed as well and I'm the only person who remembers they ever existed.

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel what you're saying but I got a terrabyte of albums and I ain't deleting shyt, no matter how wack it is. I treasure that collection.

I've also started collecting physical vinyls of my favourite albums as well, but that's more for a showpiece as I intend to keep them all sealed.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
I don't know breh. I have hard drives and CDs with mp3s of shyt like Nas' dogs barking Stillmatic early leak with music perfectly preserved. I have a physical record collection and everything in between (Tapes, cds)but sometimes you lose those or they warp, they get misplaced. Remember when people would break into cars and steal cd cases?

YouTube has saved old videos and interviews for us. Better than we ever did in the 2000s for the 90s. If you like them you can rip them pretty easily, even if YouTube went down in a month. The thing is they make so much revenue on YouTube it really is not going anywhere for the next 10 years.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I feel what you're saying but I got a terrabyte of albums and I ain't deleting shyt, no matter how wack it is. I treasure that collection.

I've also started collecting physical vinyls of my favourite albums as well, but that's more for a showpiece as I intend to keep them all sealed.

I don't know breh. I have hard drives and CDs with mp3s of shyt like Nas' dogs barking Stillmatic early leak with music perfectly preserved. I have a physical record collection and everything in between (Tapes, cds)but sometimes you lose those or they warp, they get misplaced. Remember when people would break into cars and steal cd cases?

If you really like something you will find a way to keep it of sites/streams go down

Do any of ya'll remember the wave of Myspace rappers??

Now let me ask u this.....who was actually going around preserving all that trash? :heh:

And thats what I mean....With record lables creating Physical copies...atleast there was a paper trail to a song made by an artist that was trash. Myspace produced Sean Kingston and Cassie...Thats 2 people from thousands upon thousands that we know of(Unless u found a specific artist from Myspace that u took a liking too).

milik_19

Pro
Daps
Actually thought about something similar the other day. With all those people streaming music nowadays, they basically give the labels their control over their music collection. If Interscope for example decides to pull all their music off all streaming services, everyone who only uses streaming services, will lose their music.

Many people don't realise this, but this could be a problem in the future. Happy to still have my CDs, LPs, and downloaded shyt

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Actually thought about something similar the other day. With all those people streaming music nowadays, they basically give the labels their control over their music collection. If Interscope for example decides to pull all their music off all streaming services, everyone who only uses streaming services, will lose their music.

Many people don't realise this, but this could be a problem in the future. Happy to still have my CDs, LPs, and downloaded shyt
This happened with Jay pulling the Blueprint series and RD off of Apple and Spotify

I don't think it affected anyones streaming habits

Raheem95

All Star
Daps

Now let me ask u this.....who was actually going around preserving all that trash? :heh:

And thats what I mean....With record lables creating Physical copies...atleast there was a paper trail to a song made by an artist that was trash. Myspace produced Sean Kingston and Cassie...Thats 2 people from thousands upon thousands that we know of(Unless u found a specific artist from Myspace that u took a liking too).

you forgot Lil B and Soulja Boy

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member

Before the Myspace rapper there were those guys who would post up in heavy traffic areas and try to toss head phones on you to 'hear their passion' out here in LA it used to be Venice Beach. I am sure its Times Square in NYC. Thrash artists will always be there.

I really don't know who blew up off myspace but I remember also hearing about Saigon via Myspace. Though no one remembers him except us lol.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Physical media is sill the most secure way of archiving music/film etc.

In 50 years for all we know a lot of digital media of today might become unusable as technology changes. This is a big debate within film circles on why celluloid is essential to keep around just in terms of the archiving of flms. I see a similar issue with music.

I also feel digital music has made music more disposable. People just download music for the sake of it. It loses meaning and purpose. There's nothing tangible to it. You save it in a folder and forget it exists. It might as well not exist in most cases.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you forgot Lil B and Soulja Boy

:yes:

I stand corrected...How the fukk could I forget about Soulja Boy. He was the biggest one out of all of them.

Before the Myspace rapper there were those guys who would post up in heavy traffic areas and try to toss head phones on you to 'hear their passion' out here in LA it used to be Venice Beach. I am sure its Times Square in NYC. Thrash artists will always be there.

I really don't know who blew up off myspace but I remember also hearing about Saigon via Myspace. Though no one remembers him except us lol.

Yeah...Times Square where unknown rappers would pretty much harrass you to buy their bullshyt cds....and in Hip Hop fashion i actually found myself actually copping a few back in the day.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
if the music is worth it, it will be perserved in some way

In 2006 when youtube was starting to make noise and was more raw, there was a popular video from Subzero DVD of some hispanic kid with his face sliced up allegedly by Dipset memebers, who was so in shock he just stood their leaking, blood shooting out of his face all on his jacket while fake smiling like the pain wasnt even there. I cant find that video anywhere on the internet and thats my point.

This a record that i had to convert from 45 to mp3 format......Its a record from my Grandmothers collection.

This was some underground southern shyt back in the 60's. a year after I posted it....someone else posted the same song. We were able to post these songs because we had physical copies. With Physical copies these songs were able to be preserved for close to 50 years to where the song is now available on an updated format such as Youtube. The game just started to be oversaturated by the late 2000's courtesy of the internet. Now add 50 more years of oversaturation and new formats being created. :merchant: I cant see these underground artists getting any breathing room to be heard like that 50 years from now especially when the underground song i posted is 50 years old avalable in rare physical format and only has had over 1000 views after being up for 6 years on Youtube.