I cant see this era of oversaturated digital music being preserved like the music in physical format

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
interesting to think about. i gotta imagine that the sheer amount of people with shyt on the computer means itll hang around, but yeah

cds>>>>>.

The problem with CDs is eventually they do fail. It's not like a record...

However people were saying the cds would go back in 7-10 years but I have cds I purchased in the 90s that are perfectly fine :yeshrug:

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Good thread. Alot of stuff has been lost forever in this era of the internet...but seriously like @OnlyInCalifornia alot of stuff lives on in the personal HDs of the millions of people around the globe.

I did mixes and tracks back in 2007-2009 that are lost forever. Since my portable HD crashed and had to get new ones.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I also feel digital music has made music more disposable. People just download music for the sake of it. It loses meaning and purpose. There's nothing tangible to it. You save it in a folder and forget it exists. It might as well not exist in most cases
this.

OnlyInCalifornia

Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Good thread. Alot of stuff has been lost forever in this era of the internet...but seriously like @OnlyInCalifornia alot of stuff lives on in the personal HDs of the millions of people around the globe.

I did mixes and tracks back in 2007-2009 that are lost forever. Since my portable HD crashed and had to get new ones.

Honestly I wish in 2007-2010 that more cloud space and faster connections were about. I've lost tons of mixes from back then. Had I uploaded it to soundcloud or my dropbox then I would have been good.

I also think @THE 101 bring up a good point.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That's why Zippyshare and External Hard Drives be that shyt breh :banderas:

I think Zippyshare I think of how they shut down Megaupload.

I think external Hard drives I think of possible damage that I've already experienced.

:merchant:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
Do any of ya'll remember the wave of Myspace rappers??

Now let me ask u this.....who was actually going around preserving all that trash? :heh:

And thats what I mean....With record lables creating Physical copies...atleast there was a paper trail to a song made by an artist that was trash. Myspace produced Sean Kingston and Cassie...Thats 2 people from thousands upon thousands that we know of(Unless u found a specific artist from Myspace that u took a liking too).

real talk i kept songs from the myspace era that was good to me, but this mainly Grime tracks tho from guys that lived close to me, ive got usb's full of tracks

right now im only keeping a lock on instrumental stuff

i'll give you an example, you ever heard of knxwledge/knx ? the beat maker, he has loads of albums on his bandcamp, one day he can just decide to wipe it away so no one can listen to his digital work again, but right now theirs guys that collect everything he makes and save it just incase that does happen.

am i going to keep a jay z song? maybe not, but i do have jay z's old albums on cd, you cant find certain jigga songs on youtube anymore too so id have to pull out the cd's

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
real talk i kept songs from the myspace era that was good to me, but this mainly Grime tracks tho from guys that lived close to me, ive got usb's full of tracks

right now im only keeping a lock on instrumental stuff

i'll give you an example, you ever heard of knxwledge/knx ? the beat maker, he has loads of albums on his bandcamp, one day he can just decide to wipe it away so no one can listen to his digital work again, but right now theirs guys that collect everything he makes and save it just incase that does happen.

am i going to keep a jay z song? maybe not, but i do have jay z's old albums on cd, you cant find certain jigga songs on youtube anymore too so id have to pull out the cd's

I'm gonna up this thread in 50 years and we'll see if this current crop of underground artists have been preserved properly.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

NvrCMyNut

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's easier to preserve digital, all my old cd's are scratched up

the problem with the digital age is everything is fast food, music don't last long enough

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
been saving alot of rare music from cd's and usb drives for a few years already, alot of the music nowadays is basically fast food music.

OnlyInCalifornia

Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
I think Zippyshare I think of how they shut down Megaupload.

I think external Hard drives I think of possible damage that I've already experienced.

:merchant:

Sharing music while also archiving it online actually makes it last longer. The fact you archived a 50 year old record and even 1000 all over the world could listen to it planted two seeds. One was the YouTube rip of it and two was the memories it put in other peoples heads. Someone could like the song and rip it, share it with others, and have a fond memory of it that lasts forever.

Physical formats get damaged just as easily if not more easily though. I don't think you ignore storing things digitally because there could be an issue. It's small, compact, and pretty reliable if you don't leave them in a basement or somewhere it can get stolen.

Most of the artists in this basement on vinyl were forgotten about until Shadow goes down there and you saw some of them in this video.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
I got random obscure shyt from the audiogalaxy era that I would have never even heard before if I had to rely on strictly physical copies. ..I'm a waaaaay bigger collector because of digital media than I would be otherwise. ..I've taken a L before and had a HD fail and it was waaaaay easier getting it back than it was when nikkas broke into my whip and stole my cd cases in like 10th grade

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
For example, 90's underground Texas rappers like Z Ro and K Rino have their early music reserved for today courtesy of physical music formats like records, tapes and CD's. Physical copies created whats called "collectors." But how will this era of digital music be preserved for the future when you have hundreds of current underground Texas rappers making digital music? Will there be whats called "digital collectors?"... Will someone really keep a USB of all this underground oversaturation?? We are in an era where music listeners download music and put songs they dont really care about in the recycling bin when they need space on their computers not to mention music lost from computers and phones due to reboots and phone damage. With records, tapes and CD's you could preserve physically to the point that people till this day still have records that were underground from the 40's 50's and 60's But can an underground rapper/artist in 2016 be preserved for 50 years digitally?? I'm sure an artist on a major distributor wont have such problems because they have masters but I dont know how these current underground artists will be preserved for the future.

I remember the demise of Napster and Limewire and I noticed again we are caught up in this idea that sites like Youtube or Datpiff will be around forever but if Datpiff and Youtube shut down tommorow, so many unknowns material will disappear along with their build up of momentum to the point they would have to start all over again. I say that because I have come across so much quality music via Youtube and Soundcloud yet let a few months or years go by and I go look for the artists music and their account has been deleted or songs removed to the point I would actually go looking for the artist asking them were did their music go? I currently have a bunch of music from unknown artists that I ripped from Youtube and Soundlcoud that dont even exist on those sites anymore. I liked the music so much that I wanted to keep it but its like once they were deleted, their souls were removed as well and I'm the only person who remembers they ever existed.

Great point. And digital collectors will exist.. But even that's unreliable. What if my fukking hard drive crashes:sadcam: