I got an announcement. I'm leaving Chicago to move down south to Texas UPDATE: might be moving back

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Sorry if this is a long read, but I gotta share this. I haven't been posting much on here lately because of what's been going on in my life the last 2 months or so.

Bare with me, I am really having a lot of anxiety about this, but here's what happened (yes, I know its a long read)

Back in november, my wife's job (she only started in July 2016) offered her a promotion to transfer to the dallas area. and if she didn't take the job, the alternative was she'd have to take a severance package and have no job. So we moved her down there in January of this year.

Therefore, I stayed up here with my kids since I worked at home and I didn't want to move them in the middle of the school year. Well that was going good for the first few months til early April, I got let go from my job. Initially I was pissed cuz this kinda blindsided me, but I literally told my wife and moms that I would find a superior job and get multiple job offers in the process.

And with me being in the job market, I decided to look for gigs in both the Chi and down in Dallas. So with that said, I focused my full 110% attention into finding a better job. I hadn't worked in an office for so long, I didn't even have a suit in my closet. but I was blessed with having a large safety net financially where I could survive for almost a year in case I didn't find anything.

So after doing countless phone interviews, quite a few in person interviews, and a few skype interviews, I ended up getting two job offers. one out here and one down in texas.

even though the job here offers more vacation time and less expensive benefits, the job down there is what I wanna do, will look better on my resume, plus it pays 25K more than what I was gonna get if I took the job here and 10K more than the last job I had working at home. plus I will pocket the additional 3.75% in illinois income taxes I won't have to pay. factoring the rental income I'm already getting from my rental property, I'll be just shy of six figures it looks like.

It's gonna be sad leaving the only place I have ever lived (outside of college), but my wife likes it there, and I am really tired of being up here without my spouse and having to handle these kids solo. I'm mostly upset to leave my parents and inlaws up here as well as my sister and my niece and nephew. I also hate having to move my kids to a new school. that sucks as well. but I think this is what's gonna be best for all of us in the end. :mjcry:

UPDATE

I just got a better paying job offer back home in the chicago area. I'll be able to live in my house and not an apartment anymore. I told them I'd let them know my decision definitively by Thursday. Even tho I my job down here, I'd essentially be doing the same work for a larger health system if I take this job.

Last edited:

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
You gotta do what ever is you can to shelter your family... :francis:

I know it sucks but hey no more chicago winters...:mjlol:

man, cold weather don't bother me. just snow. I don't like hot weather at all tho. and it's been in the 60's/70's out here consistently for a while. I'm lovin that!

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Sorry if this is a long read, but I gotta share this. I haven't been posting much on here lately because of what's been going on in my life the last 2 months or so.

Bare with me, I am really having a lot of anxiety about this, but here's what happened (yes, I know its a long read)

Back in november, my wife's job (she only started in July 2016) offered her a promotion to transfer to the dallas area. and if she didn't take the job, the alternative was she'd have to take a severance package and have no job. So we moved her down there in January of this year.

Therefore, I stayed up here with my kids since I worked at home and I didn't want to move them in the middle of the school year. Well that was going good for the first few months til early April, I got let go from my job. Initially I was pissed cuz this kinda blindsided me, but I literally told my wife and moms that I would find a superior job and get multiple job offers in the process.

And with me being in the job market, I decided to look for gigs in both the Chi and down in Dallas. So with that said, I focused my full 110% attention into finding a better job. I hadn't worked in an office for so long, I didn't even have a suit in my closet. but I was blessed with having a large safety net financially where I could survive for almost a year in case I didn't find anything.

So after doing countless phone interviews, quite a few in person interviews, and a few skype interviews, I ended up getting two job offers. one out here and one down in texas.

even though the job here offers more vacation time and less expensive benefits, the job down there is what I wanna do, will look better on my resume, plus it pays 25K more than what I was gonna get if I took the job here and 10K more than the last job I had working at home. plus I will pocket the additional 3.75% in illinois income taxes I won't have to pay. factoring the rental income I'm already getting from my rental property, I'll be just shy of six figures it looks like.

It's gonna be sad leaving the only place I have ever lived (outside of college), but my wife likes it there, and I am really tired of being up here without my spouse and having to handle these kids solo. I'm mostly upset to leave my parents and inlaws up here as well as my sister and my niece and nephew. I also hate having to move my kids to a new school. that sucks as well. but I think this is what's gonna be best for all of us in the end. :mjcry:
good luck breh, I know it's got to be hard not only moving from your birthplace but also away from family. I'm just glad it's only some emotional pain/anxiety of leaving home and being away from family rather than you not being able to find another job:salute:

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I remember you posting this back then. Good luck. Dallas is cool. Only been there on business, but it's a beautiful city with lots to. Summer is brutal, but not unbearable. Plus tickets from Dallas to Chicago are reasonable.

I plan on coming back regularly, and yeah, since southwest is based in dallas, and their hub is here at midway (in chicago), it's possible to find flights between the two cities for less than $150 and sometimes less than $100.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
25k pay increase in a major city with a lower cost of living. Breh, you better be on the first thing smoking. :wow:

it's only a 10K increase from my last job. 25K increase from the job that wanted me to work out here.

plus I'll be able to have a sex life again since the wife hasn't been up here consistently for the past 5 months :takedat:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
In Texas there like 20k breh
Everything is bigger in Texas

it's only a 10K increase from my last job. 25K increase from the job that wanted me to work out here.

plus I'll be able to have a sex life again since the wife hasn't been up here consistently for the past 5 months :takedat:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God

God bless you Mac :wow: