I guarantee 98% of you dont even read or have a library card.

Trav

Marathon Mentality šŸ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Man what is in the water today.

I didn't even think squirrels could swim.

Take the squirrel self hate elsewhere :gucci:

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the patriot act dissuades me from using my library card. you need a library card to use the computer and the government can easily retrieve the record of what books or media you checkout.

bring back the computer signup sheet and we need a HIPAA style law regarding our library reading habits.

:why:

Don't know for the libraries you frequent... the one I use you can disable that feature and will tell you exactly what I highlighted if you enable it to remember requests/searches:

The feature you have selected is associated with personal data in your patron account. Such data may be accessed by law enforcement personnel without your consent. Do you wish to continue?

Ryda52

All Star
Daps
I just got back into reading a couple of years ago. Not gon lie, I believe the stats about reading levels being down are true. I used to read certain books and be done within a week, hell, I read the last book of ā€œA Series of Unfortunate Eventsā€ in a day. Stopped reading after my first year in college tho.

Picked up my first book a couple of years ago, had to stop reading after like 30 minutes. Too much screen time really fukks with your attention span, at least in my case. And these kids had it in front of them their entire lives. Glad I picked it back up tho.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Too much screen time really fukks with your attention span, at least in my case. And these kids had it in front of them their entire lives.

Yes sirā€¦ Me, my lady and some of our friends were just having this discussionā€¦. Never really had this issue pre covidā€¦.. The inability to focus for hours at a time is bad for us right now, that one of us may make the plunge and get prescribed some adderall and then split itā€¦ā€¦. I donā€™t believe these kids have true literacy issuesā€¦.. I actually believe that they simply lack the ability to focus on something they have zero interest in.

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
A general misconception is that the only thing at libraries are books.

Libraries in most major cities offer things from access to public records, classes to learn/practice languages and other skills. all the way to renting power tools.

A lot of scammers wouldn't be as successful as they are if people realized that books provide everything their courses do...for free, and you don't run the risk of committing fraud.
That and I noticed over Covid that Libraryā€™s have games and blue rays now. I try out games I donā€™t want to pay for from time to time.

profound

technique
Daps
I grew up 3 houses from a library, that was the place to be on a Friday night at age 9. This was just before libraries were used for computers.

My first library card password was 1472, after Jermaine Dupriā€™s album.

Iā€™m still after a book I remember going through as a 4 year old, some guy riding a motorcycle with a glass windshield and bugs getting smashed against it.

I have my own library now, physical and digital.

That place molded me, I still see it in my dreams :mjcry:

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Shroom gummies, liquor and destiny
Daps
:stopitslime:We are literally all here to read squirreh-breh.

As far as the library card, welcome to the information age :blessed:

But in general u are essentially not wrong. All the information in the world never been more readily available yet it seems society hasnt been this generally uneducated since antiquity.

But on the flip side, those of us who do choose to capitalize on the trove of knowledge at our fingertips and know how to discern fact from :duck: have certainly been :eat: well.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
A general misconception is that the only thing at libraries are books.

Libraries in most major cities offer things from access to public records, classes to learn/practice languages and other skills. all the way to renting power tools.

A lot of scammers wouldn't be as successful as they are if people realized that books provide everything their courses do...for free, and you don't run the risk of committing fraud.
I order the books I want to read

Home Depot lets you rent powertools

Internet has public records and language classssā€¦

But ok