I have 3 teenage daughters...Help a Dad out! (esp Lady Coli members)

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Have them watch the movie Kids so they won't be out there being some loose bootys. And be sure that love themselves. Love they're skin, hair, curves, flaws, etc...

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
first gooooooood fukin luck. I got one girl, she's the youngest of 4 and ...just fukin good luck lol. She runs the house. Keep in mind she's only 10 so chances are I'll be coming to you for advice in a few years:smile:

That being said, the one thing i've tried to teach my daughter is what a good man is. I play with her, hug her, show her love. AND REASON WITH HER....which is hard because she can be emotional as fuk....

I'm mean to her too:smile:not like in a dikk way be she has tough skin now and rolls with the punches. She don't take shyt from people and is the first person to let you know when she's being done wrong. From what i've seen life is a biotch out there double so for women. Their game has to be on point.

In terms of resource the news bruh, every day before school i have the news on and, especially lately, the educational opportunities for discussion are there. I like to ask my kids questions about what they think about certain things they tend to surprise me more often than not but I also make sure to lead them where I believe they need to be led. They know how to think for themselves though. THey're not at the age where we've had many disagreements yet...luckily:smile:

Again, GOOOOODDD luck man. One girl is crazy, 3 scares me...

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have 3 teenage daughters...as much as I am able to school them on things I think are important for them to know as it relates to being Black women...I can only do so much before they just tune the old man out.

My daughters are bright and relatively aware, for their age. They can handle some complex ideas at their age and I'm proud of them for that.

What I need help with is sources (books, documentaries, articles, etc.) to help me carry the messages I think they need to learn.

What have y'all used to aid in your chirren's education?

Help a Dad out.

well if you catch them twerking its pretty much over

:francis:

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
Watch the type of people they hang around
Keep open dialogue with them, so that they know that they can always come to you
Let them read books by black people of different backgrounds
Teach them the important of family
Teach them the importance of men/fathers and women/mothers
Let them know that they have to be accountable for their actions
Let them know that all men are not evil (You don't want them to have an "I don't need a man" attitude)
Teach them about handling money and how to save/invest

I'm sure that if they have good women in their lives being a lady and etc will come easy, especially with a good father around

Good luck

Quinn

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
first gooooooood fukin luck. I got one girl, she's the youngest of 4 and ...just fukin good luck lol. She runs the house. Keep in mind she's only 10 so chances are I'll be coming to you for advice in a few years:smile:

That being said, the one thing i've tried to teach my daughter is what a good man is. I play with her, hug her, show her love. AND REASON WITH HER....which is hard because she can be emotional as fuk....

I'm mean to her too:smile:not like in a dikk way be she has tough skin now and rolls with the punches. She don't take shyt from people and is the first person to let you know when she's being done wrong. From what i've seen life is a biotch out there double so for women. Their game has to be on point.

In terms of resource the news bruh, every day before school i have the news on and, especially lately, the educational opportunities for discussion are there. I like to ask my kids questions about what they think about certain things they tend to surprise me more often than not but I also make sure to lead them where I believe they need to be led. They know how to think for themselves though. THey're not at the age where we've had many disagreements yet...luckily:smile:

Again, GOOOOODDD luck man. One girl is crazy, 3 scares me...

That's real as hell bro, thanks!

Quinn

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
I think we've done a good job exposing them to stuff. Art, travel, sports, books etc...but as they are getting older I know I have to be more specific in the tings I show them. Thanks for the book suggestions up there, my youngest reads like her Dad. I can expect her to fly through a couple of those.

I don't have any extreme concerns with any of them just yet. They are going through normal stuff with friends, boys, haters even...their Mothers are good examples and do the heavy-lifting when it comes to the "girl stuff". I just try to provide perspective on that stuff but I take full responsibility for how their minds are developing and how aware they are as Black women. Two of them are very light-skinned...so, me also being yellow lol...I am walking them though the whole being "black enough" bullshyt. Their Moms are Black women, and both my parents are Black...just to clear that up for y'all (saw you coming a mile away). But they have already been asked the "mixed" questions in school...and get called "white girls"...all that shyt is normal sadly. My middle child is a bit darker and has had some issues because her hair is diff from her sisters...BUT...because the women in her life have embraced their hair, she is doing way better on that front...it's all a process and though most of the the coli ain't really for this here, I thought I'd reach out for some perspective.

Good lookin out :ehh:

Soon

Banned
Daps
I'm not a single Father. Their Mother and my Wife (different women) set a good example.

But when it comes to learning about the world they will inherit, I feel like it is my job to equip them. Just looking for some help. I'm not too proud to admit that shiiiit..I need some help on this one.

Vice channel on YouTube is good. Also get a map, and show them different parts of the world, who would have thought how close Spain was to Africa. And Vice has some really good reports on Africa and the Middle East, I would start with those first.

If they are religious, NetFlix has a lot of good documentaries on the Bible and Biblical Times. These are really the only documentaries I like.

I think making your child have a more worldly view goes a long way.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i have no kids, but i think if you take your kids on an international trip at least once, you can drive home the point of the world being bigger than their neighborhood and their daily drama in a more visceral way than a book or even a talk.

PartyHeart

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One thing that my father did that I didn't really notice when I was younger but now understand and appreciate, is that after a certain age, basically once I became a teenager, he really showed he respected my mind.

Talk to your daughter about worldly things and ask her opinion. Listen to what she says and how she reasons and forms her opinions and challenge her. Not in a judgmental way, but more in that "yes, and..." type of way. That way you are validating her so to speak, but also infusing your own opinions. She may not accept it at first, but you've planted a seed that she can and will draw on in the future.

Soon

Banned
Daps
One thing that my father did that I didn't really notice when I was younger but now understand and appreciate, is that after a certain age, basically once I became a teenager, he really showed he respected my mind.

Talk to your daughter about worldly things and ask her opinion. Listen to what she says and how she reasons and forms her opinions and challenge her. Not in a judgmental way, but more in that "yes, and..." type of way. That way you are validating her so to speak, but also infusing your own opinions. She may not accept it at first, but you've planted a seed that she can and will draw on in the future.

Yep...gotta push a kid's analytical skills. Tell don't take anything as fact until they do there research. The importance of truth and fact is not to be taken lightly.