"I Thought I Was Full White. Didn't Learn I Was 'Mixed' Until 8 Years Old." - Kane Brown (Musician)

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
His name is Kane Brown. He's pretty big in country music now. He was raised by his white single mother and his black/Cherokee father is currently in jail.

Kane Brown Opens Up About Being Called the N-Word as a Kid: 'I Thought I Was Full White'

Breakout star Kane Brown is more than proud to bring added diversity to the country music scene. But long before rising to fame with his YouTube covers and becoming a game changer in the music industry, he came face to face with prejudice as a kid.

Born to a white mom, Tabatha, and a part Cherokee, part black dad who was out of his life, Brown admits he was once confused about his racial identity.

“I’m biracial; I didn’t know that until I was 7 or 8 years old,” the country newcomer, 25, tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue, opening up about his amazing journey to Nashville stardom. “I thought I was full white, which honestly, I can’t even really say because I didn’t see colors.”

So it came as a shock when Brown’s peers started making fun of him for his skin color while he attended middle school in Georgia.

“I found out that I was biracial and I still wasn’t thinking anything of it, but then I started getting called the N-word,” he says. “I didn’t even know what it meant. I learned what it meant, and that’s when it started affecting me. I got in fights over it when I was little.”

Some thick skin helped Brown move past the name calling. “I just kind of got over it,” says Brown, who has since channeled his troubles into his music. “They just made me stronger. I guess it was God. Hopefully I can help kids and they can end up being stronger in the long run, too.”

A growth spurt also helped keep the bullies away.

“Once I got to high school and hit my growth spurt, nobody really messed with me anymore,” the “What Ifs” singer reveals. “I just kept to myself. I kept my circle small. I had my friends that I knew wouldn’t do anything to hurt me and I would also stand up for them, and those are still my friends today.”

Unfortunately, racism reared its head again when Brown began breaking into country music.

“When I first got into country, I started getting some of those comments like, ‘He’s an N-word.’ Stuff like that,” admits Brown, who married music management student and fellow singer Katelyn Jae in October. “I used to screenshot it and put it on Twitter, like, ‘There still racism in the world.’ But I didn’t get into country music just to prove a point. I try to stay away from all negativity.”

With his latest album Experiment debuting atop the Billboard 200 (Brown is one of only three country artists to achieve the feat this year!), plus three American Music Awards wins and a sold-out tour under his belt, Brown doesn’t let haters bring him down.

“Now you can call me whatever you want,” he says. “It just brushes off of me.”

His wife:

His mom:

DLRCO2yX0AAyw9I.jpg:large
DdFIfvCW0AAsfOY.jpg

As a kid:

DMoboKFVwAAy9Ds.jpg

41885917_307681923365016_1068400340677689344_n.jpg

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Is that his mother in one of those baby pictures? Peep how far away she sits from him. Sometimes a picture says more than words can :wow:
I don't see where you're trying to take it. Look like she didnt want him to slide to either side messing up the shot they tried to get. fukked up she waited so long to tell him about his heritage.

fukk this bytch ass racists calling a child the n word. These bytches are beyond sick. Glad the breh is triumphing in his life.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When I first figured out about him I could already tell that his story would sound exactly like this. His music sounds like he was raised by a white woman. His album just went #1 on the charts tho :Ehhletsseewherethisgoes:

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I couldn't imagine being biracial and having your blood relatives (especially your mother) and other people you associate with call you a Monster.

com:mjgrin:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Idk why white people feel so empowered saying that word:mjlol:

Like, it’s literally the go to word for them when they mad or insecure