I'm in supply chain dealing with the fukkery AMA; Update: Chip shortage until at least 2022

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
im a lab manager, bio research, some of our plastics i havent been able to get since february, and even then, some of the stuff we need on a daily basis, serological pipets, "petri dishes", is not available until late september. Plus, Corning is on some "you'll get it when you get it" status.

I have no idea how hospitals and diagonistics is going to operate. I do know they do different stuff like buy out lot #s and have the company ship them later, but I think we might have to pause our research again. even the campus' lab supply is facing the same shortages.

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
Container ships have been back logged since dumb ass Trump imposed his tariff. Corona just made shyt worse

I paid out of the ass for NOR containers a couple of months ago and now I can’t even find those at any price that doesn’t fukk us up. The backlog is getting bad enough to where we’re considering flying the shyt over.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
But I was told the economic stimulus was causing this. :lolbron:

Props on giving on the ground info.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
@DrBanneker is there a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak? how long will the supply chain be fuked/ prices jacked for?

Supply chain probably fukked rest of this year to some extent. Prices may never come down unless demand collapses and there is massive deflation.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
im a lab manager, bio research, some of our plastics i havent been able to get since february, and even then, some of the stuff we need on a daily basis, serological pipets, "petri dishes", is not available until late september. Plus, Corning is on some "you'll get it when you get it" status.

I have no idea how hospitals and diagonistics is going to operate. I do know they do different stuff like buy out lot #s and have the company ship them later, but I think we might have to pause our research again. even the campus' lab supply is facing the same shortages.

Yeah I had a random order with Corning for PCR strips months ago. That shyt never arrived LOL. They probably lost our PO.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, also were these the same GPUs the crypto miners were using?

Yep, its like to massive storms hitting one point at the same time.

Crypto-mining made it annoying but from what you described with this global supply chain shortage, it made it 10x worse.

Chipsets for gpus are running 2x-3x the pre-2020 market value

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Breh we just bought a house that needs renovations and I feel like we picked the WORST time to do this shyt. Housing prices are at record highs and home improvement prices high af too.

And with regard to my day job, the semiconductor shortage is fukking us over.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Yeah we actually wanted to put in more safety stock inventory last year but got vetoed by management who didn't want it on their books. That decision isn't going over well now...

To be fair... that’s the way it should be. I spent my first 6 years as a manufacturing engineer at an auto plant. It’s good practice to be lean and manage your processes so you don’t have a lot of parts sitting idle. But you know this already.

Nobody could’ve predicted a pandemic and companies had to decrease orders when the demand wasn’t there. :yeshrug: