Indian Racists In Guyana: Talk On It

Slang

Slang
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The sickeningly racist Guyana Chronicle editorial has been thankfully, if not resoundingly, condemned | Guyana Observer

The sickeningly racist Guyana Chronicle editorial has been thankfully, if not resoundingly, condemned. There has been some response but a half-hearted apology and talk of resignation notwithstanding, this bold declaration by the Chronicle, must open the nation’s eyes to the gravity of the racism cancer being perpetuated in our midst. And it is being cultivated by those who benefit from it.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
True story....I was playing for a Semi Pro football team in NYC where we'd play games in foreign countries (I played a game in Panama....the women.... :ohlawd: ). The commissioner of the league is Black Guyanese (GT!!) and wanted to have a game played there, but the head of the sports association stopped it because the team they fielded in Guyana didn't have any Indian's on it.

:heh:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
knew a few Afro - Guyanese in undergrad

Questions if somebody can answer??

1) Isn't there a population of people that are of mixed heritage (African and Indian) in Guyana and in Trinidad?? and so how do they fit in this paradigm? is it about skin color or personal preference?

2) Is Trinidad which has similar composition?? any different? and in what way??

True story....I was playing for a Semi Pro football team in NYC where we'd play games in foreign countries (I played a game in Panama....the women.... :ohlawd: ). The commissioner of the league is Black Guyanese (GT!!) and wanted to have a game played there, but the head of the sports association stopped it because the team they fielded in Guyana didn't have any Indian's on it.

:heh:

deep...I didn't know it was like that...I've read news articles over the years about some strife in politics down there...but didn't know it was as deep as that article is making it out to be... :ohhh:

sounds like fun traveling the hemisphere to play soccer.... :ehh: ... and I know Panama had some baad chicks.. :wow:

NYC Rebel

Daps
knew a few Afro - Guyanese in undergrad

Questions if somebody can answer??

1) Isn't there a population of people that are of mixed heritage (African and Indian) here and in Trinidad?? and so how do they fit in this paradigm? is it about skin color or personal preference?

2) Is Trinidad which has similar composition?? any different? and in what way??

deep...I didn't know it was like that...I've read news articles over the years about some strife in politics down there...but didn't know it was as deep as that article is making it out to be... :ohhh:

sounds like fun traveling the hemisphere to play soccer.... :ehh: ... and I know Panama had some baad chicks.. :wow:

Actually...it was an American football team. There's groups of semi pro teams in a lot of these countries. It's really an excuse for us to go down there and meet some chicks.

The women of Panama......in Colon...the black city.... :to:

Hips don't lie.......hips don't lie. :lawd:

But living in NYC and mostly knowing black Guyanese, I've been aware of their complaints for a long while.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The same problem exists between the Indian diaspora and native Africans in South Africa, and the varioues eastern African countries where Indians settled during the British colonial period, except in those cases, the Indians are outnumbered, even if they have a disproportionate amount of power as a population.

The situation in Guyana, and to a lesser extent, Trinidad and Tobago, is that though the earliest Indians to come to the island came in chains, they came as indentured laborers, specifically to replace the slaves that had been working there, so they started off with an advantage when compared to slaves and recent freedmen. The other issue is that many Indians migrated there specifically to start businesses and make fortunes, which Black people didn't do, so they came with some of the resources and knowledge necessary to do that. Eventually, the migration + population growth led to them becoming the majority, which, combined with their economic power, led to this situation.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
The same problem exists between the Indian diaspora and native Africans in South Africa, and the varioues eastern African countries where Indians settled during the British colonial period, except in those cases, the Indians are outnumbered, even if they have a disproportionate amount of power as a population.

The situation in Guyana, and to a lesser extent, Trinidad and Tobago, is that though the earliest Indians to come to the island came in chains, they came as indentured laborers, specifically to replace the slaves that had been working there, so they started off with an advantage when compared to slaves and recent freedmen. The other issue is that many Indians migrated there specifically to start businesses and make fortunes, which Black people didn't do, so they came with some of the resources and knowledge necessary to do that. Eventually, the migration + population growth led to them becoming the majority, which, combined with their economic power, led to this situation.

damn this dude just summed my family history up so succinctly :wow:

+rep

RugbyMan

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interesting....
I'm half Afro-Guyanese, but I've never been down there and I don't know the full social situation. However, this notion that the entire world has where it's ok to shyt on black folks needs to stop. It might be time for the black population of the entire planet to start :bustback:. All that marching and protesting shyt obviously doesn't work :beli:.

emoney

custom user title
Daps
One of my parents is. The idiot ts only made this thread to :troll: me.

afro-guyanese or indo-guyanese?

and do you feel on the ropes because of this thread

On-the-ropes.jpg

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
I don't know too much about race relations in Guyana. I never been there. Like I said my dad is an Indian from Guyana. He's one of those whose people came over involuntarily as a slave, indentured servant, whatever you want to call it. I don't know much of this is true, but the story goes my great-grandfather was set up in India by some white men who offered to show him someyhing or sell him something and lured him and his wife on to a boat and took off to Guyana. :wow:

From what l hear from him, he grew up dirt poor and lived intermingling with black people and he always had black friends growing up. And he married my mom, a black woman (she's not from Guyana). His sister married a black man (he's got a lot if siblings). I don't know the whole family. Just those few that moved to America. There's never been any racial tension based on our family being half black at all. We were never treated any different by our Indian relatives here. My female cousin who grew up in the same locale married a black man and her parents like him and have no problem with it. However, I do know that that colorstruck lighter skin worship mentality shyt is very present there because I've heard aunts, uncles, and cousins talking about "fair-skin" (that's what they call light-skinned there) in glowing terms. I even had an uncle they called Fairy because he was so light. But he hung himself, so being light-skinned didn't work out that well for him.

Growing up in America being half black and around blacks, my siblings and I pretty much just grew up acculturated as black Americans. :manny: All 3 of us are married to black people. I honestly don't relate to Indian people at all because I don't really know any and wasn't around them other than my aunt, uncle, and cousins who lived nearby. My dad doesn't speak any language but English and completely lost his accent by time I was born.

I came across this hilarious picture of a bunch of my uncles in Guyana in the 70's recently.

QQMKy.jpg

NYC Rebel

Daps
I don't know too much about race relations in Guyana. I never been there. Like I said my dad is an Indian from Guyana. He's one of those whose people came over involuntarily as a slave, indentured servant, whatever you want to call it. I don't know much of this is true, but the story goes my great-grandfather was set up in India by some white men who offered to show him someyhing or sell him something and lured him and his wife on to a boat and took off to Guyana. :wow:

From what l hear from him, he grew up dirt poor and lived intermingling with black people and he always had black friends growing up. And he married my mom, a black woman (she's not from Guyana). His sister married a black man (he's got a lot if siblings). I don't know the whole family. Just those few that moved to America. There's never been any racial tension based on our family being half black at all. We were never treated any different by our Indian relatives here. My female cousin who grew up in the same locale married a black man and her parents like him and have no problem with it. However, I do know that that colorstruck lighter skin worship mentality shyt is very present there because I've heard aunts, uncles, and cousins talking about "fair-skin" (that's what they call light-skinned there) in glowing terms. I even had an uncle they called Fairy because he was so light. But he hung himself, so being light-skinned didn't work out that well for him.

Growing up in America being half black and around blacks, my siblings and I pretty much just grew up acculturated as black Americans. :manny: All 3 of us are married to black people. I honestly don't relate to Indian people at all because I don't really know any and wasn't around them other than my aunt, uncle, and cousins who lived nearby. My dad doesn't speak any language but English and completely lost his accent by time I was born.

I came across this hilarious picture of a bunch of my uncles in Guyana in the 70's recently.

QQMKy.jpg

I didn't know you were a GT boy. Funny...many Trini's I know have the same background.