Indian Racists In Guyana: Talk On It

OneManGang

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
The same problem exists between the Indian diaspora and native Africans in South Africa, and the varioues eastern African countries where Indians settled during the British colonial period, except in those cases, the Indians are outnumbered, even if they have a disproportionate amount of power as a population.

The situation in Guyana, and to a lesser extent, Trinidad and Tobago, is that though the earliest Indians to come to the island came in chains, they came as indentured laborers, specifically to replace the slaves that had been working there, so they started off with an advantage when compared to slaves and recent freedmen. The other issue is that many Indians migrated there specifically to start businesses and make fortunes, which Black people didn't do, so they came with some of the resources and knowledge necessary to do that. Eventually, the migration + population growth led to them becoming the majority, which, combined with their economic power, led to this situation.

A key piece missing here is how they got into full political power. :mjpls:

Lets just say Jimmy Carter, Bernham, and a few other things went into making that happen...Guyana hasnt been the same since. The laughing stock of the Caribbean.

the mechanic

Greasy philosophy
Daps
A key piece missing here is how they got into full political power. :mjpls:

Lets just say Jimmy Carter, Bernham, and a few other things went into making that happen...Guyana hasnt been the same since. The laughing stock of the Caribbean.

:ooh:

:huhldup:Wait...Guyana was a british colony too?

That explains alot..the british had a caste system they carried to their colonies where
-Whites are supreme full human beings
-Indians second class citizens
-Blacks were barely human

they put those signs everywhere and taught that to kids in schools so thats part of the reason alot of these indians Kooning it up in former british colonies.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
:ooh:

:huhldup:Wait...Guyana was a british colony too?

That explains alot..the british had a caste system they carried to their colonies where
-Whites are supreme full human beings
-Indians second class citizens
-Blacks were barely human

they put those signs everywhere and taught that to kids in schools so thats part of the reason alot of these indians Kooning it up in former british colonies.

They were originally colonized by the Dutch, who ceded it to Britain in the early 1800's. They got independence from GB in 1966.

OneManGang

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

:whoa: Thats alot of text bredren. The Queen gave us freedom hundreds of years before we got it in America, kept us literate and provided for the colony, and to this day is an ally. Funny thing too Guyana also had a lot of connections to communist countries such as Cuba and Russia ( who payed for the schooling for a lot of our scholars as well as GB).

All that being said, everyone hates black people...but its not like they treated us like dog shyt. GB took care of most of their Caribbean colonies/territories and still do.

the mechanic

Greasy philosophy
Daps
:whoa: Thats alot of text bredren. The Queen gave us freedom hundreds of years before we got it in America, kept us literate and provided for the colony, and to this day is an ally. Funny thing too Guyana also had a lot of connections to communist countries such as Cuba and Russia ( who payed for the schooling for a lot of our scholars as well as GB).

All that being said, everyone hates black people...but its not like they treated us like dog shyt. GB took care of most of their Caribbean colonies/territories and still do.

i didnt know that

Thats great the queen took good care of your peoples and yall are still friends of the crown...the old witch treated my people like shyt :to:

maumaurebels.jpg

HoustonHeat

In and out
Daps
Reppin
Houston
1) Isn't there a population of people that are of mixed heritage (African and Indian) here and in Trinidad?? and so how do they fit in this paradigm? is it about skin color or personal preference?
Some identify as Dougla. I think they just identify by ethnicity and not race.

The same problem exists between the Indian diaspora and native Africans in South Africa, and the varioues eastern African countries where Indians settled during the British colonial period, except in those cases, the Indians are outnumbered, even if they have a disproportionate amount of power as a population.
Indians in East and South Africa don't have as extensive of history intermixing with Africans like the Caribbean and U.S. did, the small few who did were/are treated pretty poorly. The desis there stay pretty racist, generation after generation.

While we are on the topic, I thought this was pretty cool:
Bengali Harlem | Exploring the Lost Histories of South Asian America http://facebook.com/bengaliharlem
Some accounts of Bengali/Black/Rican mixed family histories in NYC, Louisiana and Detroit. Similar to Punjabi Mexicans in Cali.

Bengali Harlem: Author documents a lost history of immigration in America – In America - CNN.com Blogs

OneManGang

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
i didnt know that

Thats great the queen took good care of your peoples and yall are still friends of the crown...the old witch treated my people like shyt :to:

maumaurebels.jpg

Where you from? I used hyperbole...it wasnt hundreds of years but it was significantly sooner than here. Not to mention we were pretty autonomous for the most part as a colony even before independence. My grandmother will go on for days about how the Indians ruined Guyana. Its funny because you never see the racial tensions when we have social gatherings, and our family is mixed as hell. Then again I think the dynamic of Guyanese here in America (way more of us here than in GT) is much more civil than there because we dont deal as much with the poverty, and social stuff.

the mechanic

Greasy philosophy
Daps
Where you from? I used hyperbole...it wasnt hundreds of years but it was significantly sooner than here. Not to mention we were pretty autonomous for the most part as a colony even before independence. My grandmother will go on for days about how the Indians ruined Guyana. Its funny because you never see the racial tensions when we have social gatherings, and our family is mixed as hell. Then again I think the dynamic of Guyanese here in America (way more of us here than in GT) is much more civil than there because we dont deal as much with the poverty, and social stuff.

From the highlands of kenya B..right where that pic was taken... those are kenyans rounded up by British army during 1948-52 “Mau Mau” rebellion when independence fighters were labeled “terrorists” by colonial rulers.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Basically, when the Brits were in power, blacks and indians were like brothers and sisters, they stuck together. When the brits gave up power, there was a power struggle. A lot of indian guyanese hate blacks for reasons being ignorance, flat out racist, black on indian crime committed back in their home country (you'll hear a lot of that). Over here in America, you don't really see the racism between them but there's definitely a lot of the old school mentality here as well. You see mix black and indian couples but not very often.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
True story....I was playing for a Semi Pro football team in NYC where we'd play games in foreign countries (I played a game in Panama....the women.... :ohlawd: ). The commissioner of the league is Black Guyanese (GT!!) and wanted to have a game played there, but the head of the sports association stopped it because the team they fielded in Guyana didn't have any Indian's on it.

:heh:

sounds like affirmative action to me.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OneManGang you sounding like one of those old heads romanticizing the Commonwealth :mjpls:

There's tons of Indian-Caribbeans in Toronto from Guyana and Trinidad. Are the political dynamics the same in Trinidad as well?

OneManGang

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
OneManGang you sounding like one of those old heads romanticizing the Commonwealth :mjpls:

There's tons of Indian-Caribbeans in Toronto from Guyana and Trinidad. Are the political dynamics the same in Trinidad as well?

The British weren't angels, but I gotta give them props for what they did do right. West Indians are proud of their literacy rates. At least we used ot be...not so sure about these days. My grandmother talks about the Queen like a hero :laugh: Be having me like :dwillhuh::sitdown: sometimes.

And about Trini, i always look at them like our sister island...but they have a much better economy due to oil i believe so you dont see as much strife imo. Its a joke though, all the coolie people live on the island of Trinidad, and the blacks come from Tobago. To this day....every Trini i've met fits that mold lol.