Is it a good idea to do push-ups everyday?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Trying to crank out at least 100 everyday but worried about overtraining and all that. I do a dedicated high volume chest day once a week.

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
I dont really think unless you're one of those ppl who devote their lives in the gym (ie: Olympic lifters etc), you can overtrain.

You can overtrain, but i suspect most people who think they are overtraining are not
makes sense to me:ehh:

Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
Yeah breh it's possible, especially when your dominant muscles like chest and tris get strong enough crank out reps but your shoulder(especially the rotator cuff muscles) arent strong enough. If you attempt it, make sure you use some weights or resistance bands for rotator cuff exercises. Ideally a complete shoulder workout will strengthen the crucial shoulder structures.
So the issue isn't necessarily declining performance the to overtraining, it's more so injury risk.

chosen92GOAT

From a boy to a king
Daps
I dont really think unless you're one of those ppl who devote their lives in the gym (ie: Olympic lifters etc), you can overtrain.

You can overtrain, but i suspect most people who think they are overtraining are not
U cant overtrain when it comes to body weight traing is the best thing u can do to your body u dont need a gym ether u just have to bulld up muscle endurance and with bofyweight traing no joint pain not like weightlifing but i have nothing against

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Yeah breh it's possible, especially when your dominant muscles like chest and tris get strong enough crank out reps but your shoulder(especially the rotator cuff muscles) arent strong enough. If you attempt it, make sure you use some weights or resistance bands for rotator cuff exercises. Ideally a complete shoulder workout will strengthen the crucial shoulder structures.
So the issue isn't necessarily declining performance the to overtraining, it's more so injury risk.
can you do anything for rotator cuff strength though?

I have that exact problem.
I cant bench because it hurts my shoulders (yes, I have read/watched every instructional video)...so I have to stick to dumbbell press.
shyt...some days doing dips hurts my shoulders.

Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
can you do anything for rotator cuff strength though?

I have that exact problem.
I cant bench because it hurts my shoulders (yes, I have read/watched every instructional video)...so I have to stick to dumbbell press.
shyt...some days doing dips hurts my shoulders.

I do rear deltoid exercises and those internal/external rotation exercises you do with the cable machine. You've probably seen them along the way.
Yeah I'm in the same boat too with the bench and db situation. I've learnt to live with it. Some soft tissue never fully heal barring outside interventions (prp,surgery etc). Mine is day to day really. I ice afterwards, if I felt pain during the workout. Ibuprofen rubs. Trigger point prodding, anything that brings pain back to zero.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Overtraining is a damn myth to me, unless you're doing some kind of unnatural movements. As long as you're eating enough to make up for the training you'll be good.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
your body will tell you when enough is enough too. i call my sit-up/push-up dailies "the hundreds", so i ask myself usually by midday every day, "have i done my hundreds?" :jbhmm: