Is the tech industry ANTI-BLACK by nature?

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
WRONG.

A lot of tech (software) start ups require little or no capital to get going. All you need is a computer.

I guess it depends on how the company is ran. A smart business manager would not need to give up much equity (seeking investors) when they're starting out. They could borrow money from their parents, friends, family members or reinvest profits to facilitate the growth of the company.

It also depends on the type of technology you need to utilize to get your business going. If you're a pharmaceutical company seeking out new drugs you're going to need access to a super computer that can run simulations. Something like that would be very expensive.

I remember when I was working at Pinkberry in 2014. I was the only straight black guy working there. The other black guy working there was gay as fukk and he was the manager.

I mean he was cool, but I really saw how uncomfortable and shook people are around a straight good looking black man...especially when I'd flirt with women and they'd flirt with me.

The rest of the staff was black women.

I guess they wanted them good yelp reviews so the staff went from all black to damn near all spanish in two months.

I quit cause I saw the writing on the wall and it didn't pay enough.

Straight black men are the absolute LAST to be hired....

Especially a straight black guy with facial hair and a deep voice. You're seen as a criminal. It's a reflection of the overall society. Masculinity is heavily discouraged and punished. You have to put on that skirt and talk in a high pitched voice. I've had straight white men complain about the same thing too.

lmao, you know I always wonder why haven't more black companies been started with illegal money but then again if they do it right, we will never know.

i went to a very good college studying computer science for a year but it wasnt for me. There was only 4 black people in my class and we all wanted to get into banking & finance

You need a very good accountant/lawyer that can launder the money properly. Bad Boy Records, Roc-a-fella, Wu-Tang, Deathrow Records, Murder Inc., all financed by drug money. RZA stole studio equipment to make music. Some times you have to do immoral shyt to make your way in life. White people aren't going to give us a piece of the pie. We have to snatch it from them.

So true...

I've made websites with 0 money using pirated software and/or regular domain registrations.

Well we're talking about 'tech startups' which can mean anything in the STEM field. There are some businesses that can be started up with minimal capital: Web design, internet marketing, SEO, game development, iphone app development, etc.

Last edited:

GoldTeef

Sarranid Bleu
Daps
Reppin
Fooglies
I would say it's 50/50 we need to start teaching black kids in school more than just the essentials.

Coding should be a leading subject in specialized schools for kids who want to create games and or engineer for a tech company.

The thing is alot of black kids dont have the opportunity plus not alot of black kids getting shine to start their own tech companies,

When i hear about tech companies I think microsoft, facebook, Oracle, Nvidia, etc but when we look at the heads and tech teams their all white.

Someone said we need to build our own silicon valley and we do... :yeshrug: Also we need to have more schools that specialize in coding and engineering...

have to get more black kids interested in learning first

Calmye

Cali born Cali bred
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Chinedu Echeruo an african breh created hopstop which he sold for a couple hundred million. But he is african so idk if that answers ur claim:manny:
I'm talking AA. I just don't think alot of black folks are pursuing this field. These stories seem like they aren't even being pushed by brehs but by other groups looking to start a controversy so they can ride the coat tails of the minority card and get their issues heard. And of course ultimately solved while we remain in the same spot.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Y'all gotta understand this App Bubble is going to burst as majority of these App companies do not make money they just have large user basis thus their valuations are over inflated. Its going to be the dot.com bubble burst all over again.
Especially when they give our their products for free and rely on advertising dollars.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Especially when they give our their products for free and rely on advertising dollars.

Yea, black folks shouldn't worry about Apps unless it is something that can directly generate revenue, let these other kids feel the burn when the bubble bursts. If you do decide to get into the app industry then do it so you can sell to a bigger company, but those who think they will last long term are in for a rude awakening.

As for Blacks dominating tech, I`m still working on some stuff I want to do personally but yes there is a ton of untapped things but dudes have to think greater than the United States. I dont want to say too much but there is a lot of opportunity for those who can get over the idea of the only way to make it is in America.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You need a very good accountant/lawyer that can launder the money properly. Bad Boy Records, Roc-a-fella, Wu-Tang, Deathrow Records, Murder Inc., all financed by drug money. RZA stole studio equipment to make music. Some times you have to do immoral shyt to make your way in life. White people aren't going to give us a piece of the pie. We have to snatch it from them.

One of the unspoken truths about life & hustling.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Technology is the Future.. Whites don't want Blacks in the Future.Simple.
It's becoming very obvious that this is the case.

With the oscars, gentrification, cultural appropriation, white washing of history, etc.

Black folks really need to get it through their heads that their plans do not include us. And build our own industries and economies.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It's becoming very obvious that this is the case.

With the oscars, gentrification, cultural appropriation, white washing of history, etc.

Black folks really need to get it through their heads that their plans do not include us. And build our own industries and economies.

I wouldn't say that. People need to realize Blacks still move like its 1950 mentally. We think if we cant do something on our street then its impossible. We are too caught up in the now and not thinking long term. When we finally get the good job we end up drowning ourselves in debt to live the "good life" that we are told comes with the "good job".

Black folks literally need to get a job, use this said job to pay off most of their debt, build capital from this pay, and learn as much as possible then go apply what they learned elsewhere that has a need for it. It's that simple. We get too caught up in the fact we see all these US major corporations when the world is bigger than the US.

Daps
Ask yourself how many black folks you know with technical degrees than answer yourself this question.

We should be asking why not one AA has come up with a blow out app at this point:patrice:

I have my Masters in Computer Science. And there have been many AA that have sold apps for Millions. It doesn't get reported in news cause it's too positive.