IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
I’m hoping I don’t have to go back to IT support that’s why I’m excited/nervous about these upcoming interviews.

What are the salaries like for those L1/L2 roles? I was at 125k at my last job, so I’m trying to get at least close to that. And willing to go a little less if it gets me out of support work.

I mean in a SOC you'll still be working client facing tickets but just less dumb IT support stuff and salary really just depends on location/negotiation skills but I think you can hit that range at L1/L2.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What were you doing in IT support, and why do you want out of it?
Boredom & Money. I’ve been doing it for years.

Most likely to have to be in-office. And everyone there is making more money than you except maybe the office assistant or facilities guy

The range of stuff you have to support is annoying:
Support tickets of all types
The office network
Dealing with vendors/app tech support on behalf of other teams
A lot of times not having a team to back you up
Having to do audio-visual/event support
New employee onboarding
Being on the bottom of the organizational totem pole
And your work gets interrupted every time someone needs help

All of that stuff gets in the way of the more interesting projects.

Daps
I am looking to do a career change from business to IT. Where is a good place to get entry level certifications? What are some good ones? I am considering doing a Google IT certification on Coursera to start.

I have a vague memory of this "course". I think it was mandatory that we take it as part of training at an earlier job.

From what I remember, it was less technically challenging than the A+. I feel like it's for people who know practically nothing about technology.
At least the A+ sets you up for Network+, Security+, etc.

I would check CompTIA's career roadmap PDF. It lists certs from different vendors and categorizes them based on experience levels.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This a+ shyt looks hella easy.. I used to refurbish computers.. I know this ish :wow:
Test is ok if you know your shyt.

I had to fail a couple of times just to grasp the concepts and have no experience whatsoever.

They'll throw in a couple of really tricky questions just to see if you are really paying attention

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Has anyone talken the Terraform Associate exam? I've taken it a few times and have not passed and I feel it shouldn't be this hard based on the practice exams I've taken.

Daps
Boredom & Money. I’ve been doing it for years.

Most likely to have to be in-office. And everyone there is making more money than you except maybe the office assistant or facilities guy

The range of stuff you have to support is annoying:
Support tickets of all types
The office network
Dealing with vendors/app tech support on behalf of other teams
A lot of times not having a team to back you up
Having to do audio-visual/event support
New employee onboarding
Being on the bottom of the organizational totem pole
And your work gets interrupted every time someone needs help

All of that stuff gets in the way of the more interesting projects.
Funny enough breh I want to use the IT Support portion of my career to springboard into more cloud based engineering roles. I know as I get my CCNA, RHSCA, and Azure Admin Certs I will be able to combine tech experience from a support role or System Admin to back the interviewing/resume for roles.

Sunshine

Banned
Supporter
Daps
shyt is pretty hard (a+) allot of memorization of shyt like port numbers :heh: it’s fun tho

I hope your studies are going well, brother.

I believe the games on this link will be very helpful to you. Comptia a - Teaching resources

You will find examples of PBQ as well as many practice questions on this site. CompTIA A+ 220-1102 Core 2 | Exam Premium

As you continue to pursue certs, it is good to familiarize yourself with the terms/protocols beforehand because there are a lot of acronyms. Use Quizlet to view applicable terminology in order to have a grasp of what you are looking at before committing it to memory. The games and other activities you may find will assist with memorization, through active engagement.

I look forward to the update about your achievement, as well as future certs. You are fully capable.

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps
I hope your studies are going well, brother.

I believe the games on this link will be very helpful to you. Comptia a - Teaching resources

You will find examples of PBQ as well as many practice questions on this site. CompTIA A+ 220-1102 Core 2 | Exam Premium

As you continue to pursue certs, it is good to familiarize yourself with the terms/protocols beforehand because there are a lot of acronyms. Use Quizlet to view applicable terminology in order to have a grasp of what you are looking at before committing it to memory. The games and other activities you may find will assist with memorization, through active engagement.

I look forward to the update about your achievement, as well as future certs. You are fully capable.
I needed that :mjcry: shyt is hard
Lots to memeorize