IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Just passed my Wonderlic exam which was needed to get into amazons comptia a+ program :ahh: just need to do an interview and I’m in

After that security+ and network+ and whatever I can get for cybersecurity
While you are trying to get into Cybersecurity, if you see any opportunity to get IT experience, jump on it. Having some experience is going to make transitioning to Cybersecurity much easier.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Over the past few weeks I've had a DRAMATIC uptick of people cc'ing my direct email on tickets. And I'd get it if I took forever to respond but I'm constantly checking my queue and respond wirthin an hour. Some are removing the ticketing email altogether and responding to my email only. Anybody else deal with that? The fukk is that shyt??? :dahell: It's getting on my last nerve

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Over the past few weeks I've had a DRAMATIC uptick of people cc'ing my direct email on tickets. And I'd get it if I took forever to respond but I'm constantly checking my queue and respond wirthin an hour. Some are removing the ticketing email altogether and responding to my email only. Anybody else deal with that? The fukk is that shyt??? :dahell: It's getting on my last nerve
It might be that people have realized that you’re good at your job, so they’re trying to go to you directly.

Daps
Hey brehs. I’m a 23 year old breh born & based in NYC. I’m currently in my junior year of school for a bachelors in C.I.S (computer information systems). I don’t have any certs but currently studying for the CCNA. I have a couple years of experience helping out with tech for family business as a help desk technician. Where should a breh focus on next career moves? I got a help desk internship for summer. I’m hoping to make at least 60-65k after getting my bachelors to help chip in with parents on expenses and eventually save up for a house of my own. Im interested in anything that is within reach of my degree(not changing majors), highly employable, and has great salary increases with experience in NYC. I I have chosen the help desk support technician to system admin route in hopes to pivot deeper in cloud/security roles once I obtain the title with backing experience. I’m open to any, and all advice to help with my journey. Thanks brehs.

Last edited:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Get an internship if it’s not too late.
Hey brehs. I’m a 23 year old breh born & based in NYC. I’m currently in my junior year of school for a bachelors in C.I.S (computer information systems). I don’t have any certs but currently studying for the CCNA. I have a couple years of experience helping out with tech for family business as a help desk technician. Where should a breh focus on next career moves? I got a help desk internship for summer. I’m hoping to make at least 60-65k after getting my bachelors to help chip in with parents on expenses and eventually save up for a house of my own. Im interested in anything that is within reach of my degree(not changing majors), highly employable, and has great salary increases with experience in NYC. I I have chosen the help desk support technician to system admin now route now in hopes to pivot deeper in cloud/security roles once I obtain the title with backing experience. I’m open to any, and all advice to help with my journey. Thanks brehs.

Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
Hey brehs. I’m a 23 year old breh born & based in NYC. I’m currently in my junior year of school for a bachelors in C.I.S (computer information systems). I don’t have any certs but currently studying for the CCNA. I have a couple years of experience helping out with tech for family business as a help desk technician. Where should a breh focus on next career moves? I got a help desk internship for summer. I’m hoping to make at least 60-65k after getting my bachelors to help chip in with parents on expenses and eventually save up for a house of my own. Im interested in anything that is within reach of my degree(not changing majors), highly employable, and has great salary increases with experience in NYC. I I have chosen the help desk support technician to system admin now route now in hopes to pivot deeper in cloud/security roles once I obtain the title with backing experience. I’m open to any, and all advice to help with my journey. Thanks brehs.
Look into Devops. Check for AWS Certs. AWS Solution architect (associate) and/or developer.

Kubernetes Cert(CKA) to really cement your chances of getting a gig.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My previous response was dumb because I only skimmed your post. My bad.

Anyway, it’s possible that your internship might offer you a job at the end.

Do what Snoopy Loops said above, but pay attention to the engineers and security team during your internship. They might help you career-wise if they like you.

The job market is bad, so getting in through an internship might be easier.

Daps
Well brehs, it finally happened for me. Billy Ray Valentine is officially a cloud engineer.

:birdman:

I started pursing this path back in 2021. This is going to be my fourth time changing jobs since 2021. I received 8 pay increases between the job hopping and merit raises. But I didn't get promotions with those merit raises. So I feel conflicted by the raises.

These last two jobs have been professional nightmares with the worst fukking managers I have ever had in my life. Just completely irredeemable bamas. At the core of every horrible manager is just grade A arrogance. I tried but failed to not stunt in his face when telling him I was leaving this week. fukk a two week notice and my last week is a short week too.

:mjgrin:

boxden-504boy-jordanlaugh-gif-19942350.gif

I'm not doing anything until I start in July except celebrating being an official member of the six certs six figures, 6 foot minus 2 inches, unrelenting hairline, handsome gang

:dame:

giphy.gif

trading-places-murphy-love-gif-5333538.gif

Daps
Well brehs, it finally happened for me. Billy Ray Valentine is officially a cloud engineer.

:birdman:

I started pursing this path back in 2021. This is going to be my fourth time changing jobs since 2021. I received 8 pay increases between the job hopping and merit raises. But I didn't get promotions with those merit raises. So I feel conflicted by the raises.

These last two jobs have been professional nightmares with the worst fukking managers I have ever had in my life. Just completely irredeemable bamas. At the core of every horrible manager is just grade A arrogance. I tried but failed to not stunt in his face when telling him I was leaving this week. fukk a two week notice and my last week is a short week too.

:mjgrin:

boxden-504boy-jordanlaugh-gif-19942350.gif

I'm not doing anything until I start in July except celebrating being an official member of the six certs six figures, 6 foot minus 2 inches, unrelenting hairline, handsome gang

:dame:

giphy.gif

trading-places-murphy-love-gif-5333538.gif

Congratz breh. I’m just starting out can you give a career path of titles, and certs of how you got to the cloud engineer path?