It's wild to me how much was known about Mob bosses back in the day

kevin arnold

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was watching that documentary about Capone and them the other day on Amazon, did not know they were that blatant with their shyt...Capone really gave no fukks

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I was surprised to see how strong mob ties were in new Orleans back on the day
Boxing and liquor went hand in hand back then as well.
When I took a trip to Vegas and visited the mafia museum it was interesting to see the mob put in work all over America. Didn’t know Kansas City had a pretty sized mob presence also.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
It wasn't like that during the Luciano Era when they came up. They went at Capone hard for all the killings in Chicago...they couldn't get Luciano on murder but taxes kept getting them. Gotti played it wrong...Meyer Lanksy and Gambino played it right.

Last edited:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Organized crime also encompassed such a large swath of the population in many places, including the "respectable" population, that they were usually waved through.

It's like the gambling bosses in Harlem in the 20s, 30s, and 40s.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Can some one include me in on when and how they became so glorified by rappers e.t.c especially knowing how much these dudes hated us
When Luciano won
Godfather
Gambino family winning in NY

Luciano's accomplishments are beyond Amazon, Microsoft..all of that. Came from the gutter in NY and maneuvered his way to the top after surviving a stabbing. Set people up without thinking twice..rappers wished they had his criminal bravery and guts.

MoveForward

Veteran
Daps
Yet people like Big Meech are animals and thugs...smh

White skin give you immunity for everything lol
Not really and I'm not defending them. The mob didn't move like the crack crews that sprung up in the 80's and 90's. Nicky Barnes got alot of coverage back then as well and he was a known heroin kingpin that was beating charges left and right. Check out Courtney Brown and Eddie Jackson in Detroit and their legal maneuvering back in the 70's.

America loves successful finesse criminals but once you start doing drive-bys, killing kids, and leaving bodies in the streets at alarming rates, your ass is going down.

Meech was actually ok until that shootout in Buckhead, that's what really did him in. He was rubbing shoulders with politicians in Florida. You see they let Terry out early and Meech would've been out had he just shut up.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
whats crazy is you'd watch news back in those days and they'd show dead bodies same as newspapers on the front cover

0564ea4ae38aec6af7a5005f298316f9-e1607718087728.jpg

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
It wasn't like that during the Luciano Era when they came up. They went Capone hard for all the killings in Chicago...they couldn't get Luciano on murder but taxes kept getting them. Gotti played it wrong...Meyer Lanksy and Gambino played it right.
Aside from being caught on wiretaps talking too much and his right hand telling on him Gotti played it just fine, they had nothing on him in the traditional sense even though everyone knew exactly what he did.

The real issue was RICO, the government changed the rules and when people started getting 100 years just for being around breh, suddenly they had a lot of evidence

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
They treated them a lot like celebrities, and there was a huge public fascination with them as figures.

Many of them were prominent in their communities, every single city had at least one or two local community papers and it was easy to relay information.

People were just as chatty before social media as they are with social media.

The difference is everyone didn't runteldat to the cops when they got a parking ticket back then. Snitching has been part of the game forever but now everyone starts singing as soon as a cop looks in their direction.

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
They glorify the white ones. I just learned about Teddy Roe and the Binga Bank from Chicago on here last year

Theodore Roe - Wikipedia

Jesse Binga - Wikipedia

also look at how they glorify the bank robbers of the 30s. Bonnie n Clyde, pretty boy Floyd, Dillinger, all glorified. They make them to look like modern day Robin Hood’s.
If Teddy Roe would've had more solid dudes behind him and didn't get cancer he would've murked Giancana's rat ass

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Aside from being caught on wiretaps talking too much and his right hand telling on him Gotti played it just fine, they had nothing on him in the traditional sense even though everyone knew exactly what he did.

The real issue was RICO, the government changed the rules and when people started getting 100 years just for being around breh, suddenly they had a lot of evidence

If Sammy hadn't snitched John would've been on the streets for a long time. Sammy spilled the beans on how John got to a Juror in another case. After that Juror's were sequestored.

But his brother Gene did 50 years in the joint didn't like John and didn't talk. I think he literally just came home a few weeks ago. shyt is a different world now.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
If Teddy Roe would've had more solid dudes behind him and didn't get cancer he would've murked Giancana's rat ass
Really when the Jones Brothers folded that was a bad sign. The Jones brothers were doctors who ran the numbers game in the Chi before Teddy (who started out running for them) The Jones Brothers fell back the second Giancana applied pressure and let Teddy have it.

Same thing with Chester Himes and Bumpy Johnson They had no back up. Going waaaaaaay Back to the Binga era Mushmouth Johnson ran the Black gambling and the Chinese gambling back at the turn of the century.

Albert "Baby" Bell aka Sweet Jones in the Iceberg Slim book Pimp also ran with Teddy when the Jones Brothers dropped out.

I think that Capone branded the Mafia so people folded. Before Capone a lot of people were bootlegging and not all of them folded under Mob pressure. Madame St. Clair fended off Dutch Schultz and the Italians.