Jermaine O'neal disappointed Pacers let Buddy Held wear his #7

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey

How yall feel about this? Should jersey numbers only be off limit for players who have won championships or no?

I grew up a Pacers fan and JO definitely was our best player for many years as Reggie aged, but we never finished the job. The one year we had the best team, the malice at the palace went down :pachaha:

I feel for the most part jerseys should be reserved for all time great franchise players who won with the team. There can be exceptions though. IE: despite never winning a chip with the Wolves, KG's jersey should 100% be retired.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I don't know if it should be reserved exclusively for players who won with the team especially if they are clear hall of famers who put in a lot of work for the team.

I think that it's fine not to have a specific criteria, because every team and player's situation with that team is different, era plays a factor too.

Someone like brad beal didn't win anything on the wizards, but clearly put in work, and was an ambassador for the team for many years. He's going to get his jersey retired, most likely. Same with dame, obviously. JO hasn't put in the same kind of work as those guys did on the pacers, despite being that guy for a handful of years.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know if it should be reserved exclusively for players who won with the team especially if they are clear hall of famers who put in a lot of work for the team.

I think that it's fine not to have a specific criteria, because every team and player's situation with that team is different, era plays a factor too.

Someone like brad beal didn't win anything on the wizards, but clearly put in work, and was an ambassador for the team for many years. He's going to get his jersey retired, most likely. Same with dame, obviously. JO hasn't put in the same kind of work as those guys did on the pacers, despite being that guy for a handful of years.
Hell naw. Not happening

Dame absolutely

@FAH1223 come get your man :heh:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
You're going to ignore this since I've gone to bat for an All-Timer for a unique amount of hate and it bothers you, nonetheless:

No, jersey retirement shouldn't necessarily be reserved for a player with a championship, but that player's dominance and impact on team accomplishments and culture should be accounted for.

Jermaine is 5th in points, 6th in rebounds, and #1 in blocks for Indiana despite not being Top 10 in games (albeit 8th in minutes played). 6 playoff berths of 4 R1 exits, a R2 exit and a Conference Final in 8 seasons.

3 of the 4 Pacers retired numbers won championships with them in the ABA. The other is Reggie.

Jermaine has a case but it's not that strong...

Last edited: