Jermaine O'neal disappointed Pacers let Buddy Held wear his #7

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I don't know if it should be reserved exclusively for players who won with the team especially if they are clear hall of famers who put in a lot of work for the team.

I think that it's fine not to have a specific criteria, because every team and player's situation with that team is different, era plays a factor too.

Someone like brad beal didn't win anything on the wizards, but clearly put in work, and was an ambassador for the team for many years. He's going to get his jersey retired, most likely. Same with dame, obviously. JO hasn't put in the same kind of work as those guys did on the pacers, despite being that guy for a handful of years.

:mjlol: ONEAL DEFINITELY DID MORE
WITH THE PACERS THAN BEAL
DID WITH DC.

DUDE JUST HUNG AROUND ON
BAD TEAMS AND COLLECTED CHECKS.

ITS LIKE YOU MERGED WALL
AND BEAL INTO ONE PERSON
:devil:
:evil:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Jermaine O'Neal was excellent for the Pacers and was the best guy on a couple of really good Pacer teams that could've made the Finals so I get where he's coming from. I just think there's a standard for retiring a player's number and I don't think his Pacer career really warrants it

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
:jbhmm:
jermaine-oneal-punches-fan.gif

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
I don't know if it should be reserved exclusively for players who won with the team especially if they are clear hall of famers who put in a lot of work for the team.

I think that it's fine not to have a specific criteria, because every team and player's situation with that team is different, era plays a factor too.

Someone like brad beal didn't win anything on the wizards, but clearly put in work, and was an ambassador for the team for many years. He's going to get his jersey retired, most likely. Same with dame, obviously. JO hasn't put in the same kind of work as those guys did on the pacers, despite being that guy for a handful of years.
Lol at equating Bradley Beal to JO… BB not a scrub but he ain’t have no postseason success. Like none

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

:mjlol: ONEAL DEFINITELY DID MORE
WITH THE PACERS THAN BEAL
DID WITH DC.

DUDE JUST HUNG AROUND ON
BAD TEAMS AND COLLECTED CHECKS.

ITS LIKE YOU MERGED WALL
AND BEAL INTO ONE PERSON
:devil:
:evil:

I'm not disagreeing AT ALL

In fact I think they don't give Wall enough respect

But that's not how they view it, they likely retiring his jersey
Lol at equating Bradley Beal to JO… BB not a scrub but he ain’t have no postseason success. Like none
As a #2 to Wall he did, but I agree, but again, longevity and off the court contributions are going to be considered here

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
A number is a number. Put in the work so your shít gets retired by the damn team. Heck you have someone like ARod who has put up top 10 stats all time and his number has been worn after him. It’s politics behind this as usual but it’s on the player to make that number off limits.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Why would I ignore your post? Good points.

JO would have stronger case if he did what he did for a longer stretch. His peak was brief.

The only Pacer whose jersey should be off limits is Reggie IMO

This is what you said :manny:

6 years as an All-Star in 8 years isn't that brief. I just don't think he was that dominant. Chris Webber played 7 years in Sac with no rings and his number is retired. Mutumbo's retired in Atlanta after 5 years. Melo's number will likely go up in the Garden.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
The Pacers were better than the Wizards. JO is not better than Beal.
Idk what’s funnier…JO thinking his number should be retired or the idea that Bradley Beal should get his retired :mjlol:
Beal has 11 years of service and is in the Wizards' Top 2-3 in points, assists, steals, games and minutes played, and is head and shoulders #1 in 3PTs.

A jersey retirement is not reserved for an MVP or first ballot HOFer. Maybe on Earth-Two, but on this Earth #3 won't be worn in Washington again unless a superstar free agent calls him for permission.