¥$ (Kanye West & Ty Dolla $ign) - Vultures 1 (Discussion Thread)

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
Going to have to listen to it again, but the first half seemed like Hell of a Life: The Album

Lyrical content seemed to progress towards the end

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
This actually came out?
Haven't heard any noise about it, as quiet as the Usher release :dead:

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the reviews are harsh
It's because the album sounds messy and lyrically it might be his weakest. I feel like most people in this thread are grading Kanye's lyrics on a curve. The thing about his lyrics is that on other albums he was still silly and arrogant but somehow there was a charm to it and he would drop gems here and there or say things we are all feeling deep down even if it seems outrageous. But on this album it's missing the charm and gems. Just silliness. And it gets old after a while. There's nothing shocking about it if you keep doing the same thing over and over lyrically. Nothing poignant about it contrary to his previous albums. Or maybe I'm getting flabby and sick, I don't know...

EDIT: the way i see it, Kanye's whole style used to be saying somewhat tacky/cringy things but somehow managed to do it with style. Now it's just cringy but lacking the style.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At this point after all the craziness Kanye could drop the absolute greatest album ever with the most poignant lyrics that would bring a tear to the eyes of the most hardened killer and it would still get bad reviews. Too much baggage.
But Donda was critically acclaimed with a lot of controversy surrounding Kanye minus the jewish stuff. And the album (Vultures) was everything BUT poignant lyrically

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Donda got pretty bad reviews and the Jewish stuff is specifically the baggage I was referencing.
It was nominated for Grammies and i remember a lot of people's liked it but might be remembering wrong. Either way i think people really want a dope album from him (me included). I think deep down even the critics hope for a good album from him partially because it would feed their "tortured genius" narrative.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Pretty shocking stuff. #1 album over 140,000 sold without major distribution. This doesn’t happen…..
He was the #1 artist in the world before going full retard. Let's not act like this is an amazing feat. It's a consequence of him being pushed out into the proverbial cold by the rest of the entertainment industry. His cult following band of nihilistic mouth breathers would follow him into a bear cave if he demanded it.