Kevin Garnett "AAU killing basketball"

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
I couldn't watch much of that Interview special on NBA TV of Kevin Garnett because dude sounds illiterate as fukk. Rambling and backtracking every sentence.

His response here is no different.

He was part of the problem why the league was ass in the mid 2000's: players coming straight out of highschool undeveloped and expected to pick up the NBA at the same time as players who got some college ball under their belt.

Yeah, Kevin was fortunate to pick up the game and flourish, but a lot didn't.

AAU ball and the D League saved the league.

King24

Rookie
Daps
People always complain about the big men not having fundamentals or there being no post up players, but I just think the game changed and its the NBAs fault. They put in a five seconds backdown rule (cuz Barkley fat ass) and they also took away hand checking. Its more effective to play face up now. Also the big men are more athletic and versatile. Shawn Bradley, George Murhesan, Luc Longley, etc. would get ran the fukk off the court today. These dudes got serious playtime in their day.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
People always complain about the big men not having fundamentals or there being no post up players, but I just think the game changed and its the NBAs fault. They put in a five seconds backdown rule (cuz Barkley fat ass) and they also took away hand checking. Its more effective to play face up now. Also the big men are more athletic and versatile. Shawn Bradley, George Murhesan, Luc Longley, etc. would get ran the fukk off the court today. These dudes got serious playtime in their day.
I don't understand the whole big men don't have skills or fundamentals today its pure BS. They don't bang down low as much because of the rules you mentioned but in terms of skills shooting, ball handling, passing the new guys are pretty good. Also, these guys post games aren't that bad.

Kristaps Porzingis has a legitimate Dream Shake, in the future when he gets more featured in the offense people will see him more in the mid-to-low post area where he has length, shooting touch, and a variety of moves...

Joel Embiid also has a Dream Shake, hes so similar to a young Hakeem shyt is uncanny, the ball handling, footwork, has the same fluidity, he's going to be torching people in the post...

Karl-Anthony Towns spin move out the post is quick AF, shyt is wild deadly. He likes to get players in the post then face up, jab, and blow right by them, his agility and explosiveness is top tier...

Nikola Jokic he has the Euro post moves going and he's the best passing big man out the post period, dude is hitting cutters and shooters all day...

Everybody knows Jahlil Okafor gets busy in the post...

These bigs are franchise player level talent, they are multi-skilled and they are definitely better than those bigs in the 00's. Like I said Jamaal Magloire, Antonio Davis, Theo Ratliff, Brad Miller were making All-Star games. Then, you have the rim running super athletic bigs like DeAndre Jordan, Hassan Whiteside, and Rudy Gobert.

There is nothing wrong with the bigs today :manny:

Last edited:

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
bigs ain't really working on an island these days
it not like when you had a dude you know was gonna kill his match up so you just get it in his hands and let em work
it's gonna keep stretching until cats is pulling up from the opposite three point line jajahahahaa
you gotta get them shots off before you got 2/3/4/5 defenders on you ya diiiiiig

ShoryukenHaduken

All Star
Daps
AAU got nikkas free rides to D1 schools breh i love it......I remember walking into tournaments with a whole section full of coaches you see on tv recruiting...i remember we played in front of roy williams, coach k, billy donovan, tom izzo, sidney lowe, frank haith, and whole bunch of other mid level d1's at the boo williams in Virginia....shyt is inspiring for a young hooper
u played AAU ball:ohhh: what coach were u hoping to notice u breh?

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: What?

The best it's been? How?

thats what I am trying to figure out. :jbhmm:

I guess to some it is better. but to me its not because I grew up watching the golden age, with MJ and such. because of the youth, bbiq is much lower than back in the days. athleticism is relied on more heavily. AAU like most things when then started was for the good but its so many bad habits being picked up and the attitude and mentality is a problem. AAU doesnt deserve ALL the blame but I agree, it's culture has played a heavy part in the lack of IQ in todays game. if you think back on some of the best AAU teams assembled, most of those guys arent even in the league now. like Reynardo Sidney, Josh Selby, etc...

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:russell: Predictable post...

So players becoming more skilled and better shooters and opening up the floor more is a bad thing? Offense is NOT a bad thing. Don't worry the leagues defenses will respond to recent trends. 84-79 isolation fests with poor outside shooting and shot clock draining low post possessions are NOT a good thing. I'll take the "three point contest" over players being obsessed with long two's, NBA teams realized taking those shots in abundance was inefficient offense.
How do you "define" more skilled? Even the best players today from a skillset standpoint are lacking from the stars of yesteryear. Look at lebron, he's the best player today but he doesn't have the skillset of kobe bryant. James Harden game is basically a 3, a dunk, or a flop. Westbrook, has an iffy jumpshot. I say they rely more on being athletic than having actual skills. Look at the thunder, they almost made the finals starting a guy in roberson who teams don't even bother to guard. Where's his skill or outside shooting. Deundre Jordan just made all nba 1st team and he can't score outside the paint on a layup or dunk. He has no post game, or any transferable offensive skills.

You talking about big men being better shooters now than before, I AGREE, the problem is a big man should be in the paint, not trying to be dirk shooting 3s. I want to see guys like cousins, and davis, etc.. playing 15 and in, going to work on the block drawing doubles and kicking out to shooters. DMC is to good to be shooting 45% from the field because he wants to shoot 3's like he's a SG. For a big like him shooting like that is disgusting. I hope he plays more on the block in NO with davis.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
How do you "define" more skilled? Even the best players today from a skillset standpoint are lacking from the stars of yesteryear. Look at lebron, he's the best player today but he doesn't have the skillset of kobe bryant. James Harden game is basically a 3, a dunk, or a flop. Westbrook, has an iffy jumpshot. I say they rely more on being athletic than having actual skills. Look at the thunder, they almost made the finals starting a guy in roberson who teams don't even bother to guard. Where's his skill or outside shooting. Deundre Jordan just made all nba 1st team and he can't score outside the paint on a layup or dunk. He has no post game, or any transferable offensive skills.

You talking about big men being better shooters now than before, I AGREE, the problem is a big man should be in the paint, not trying to be dirk shooting 3s. I want to see guys like cousins, and davis, etc.. playing 15 and in, going to work on the block drawing doubles and kicking out to shooters. DMC is to good to be shooting 45% from the field because he wants to shoot 3's like he's a SG. For a big like him shooting like that is disgusting. I hope he plays more on the block in NO with davis.

Lebron is more skilled than Kobe. On both ends of the floor :lolbron:

And this is why you need to do your googles. Bigs don't camp in the paint and demand doubles because of rule changes - it's simply stupid to do it as much as before. With defenders allowed to shade help BEFORE the catch and the dominance of PnRs on offense because of better ball handling and shooting from the guards you'd be a fukking moron to rely on post offense to score. You're simply playing a slower offense relying on 1 on 1 post matchups whereas the other team is just looking for mismatches at any spot on the floor. You may not like it but it doesn't mean these guys are less skilled. In fact it shows they are smarter for abusing the rule sets instead of being dumb enough to try and play "like the old school". Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez, and Zach Randolph are all throw back Centers and not a single one of them are near the top of the league in offensive impact.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

I'm not going to get into a redundant Kobe vs. LeBron argument. I and many people see LeBron as a superior player therefore a more skilled player. Kobe is more skilled if skills to you are all about flashy handles, footwork, and having a pretty jumper. LeBron just isn't some brute athlete he has many skills which make him one of the best players of All-Time. LeBron has skills that Kobe doesn't and vice versa.

If you think James Harden is composed of threes, flopping, and dunking you being simple minded. Harden is an extremely skilled player he is a great shooter, he is a great ball handler who has mastered change of pace, in-and-out dribbles, step backs he is hard to stay in front of. Harden has mastered the euro step and hop step you add his strength at 225 lb. he is a problem as a slasher, he just knows how to draw fouls which makes him like Adrian Dantley in that regard. His court vision is up there with guys like LeBron and CP3, there probably isn't a pass that Harden can't make he is great at reading defenses.

Russell Westbrook isn't a great three point shooter, he's more of a volume three point shooter but he has a great midrange pull-up from 15 feet its deadly especially in transition. I mean you can say Westbrook's game is predicated on explosiveness but I would argue that being a great athlete is part of your skillet. Yeah, he's very athletic but he also has above average handles and is great at breaking down defenses and dropping dimes. Roberson is a special case, his defense is so good that you can live with his poor offense especially on a team like Oklahoma City with the way they're built.

Why use DeAndre Jordan as an example? I just posted 5 young bigs who can post up and are "skilled". DeAndre has his own skillset which makes him valuable. He doesn't need a post game and he doesn't need to shoot outside of the paint. DeAndre doesn't require the ball to be productive on offense which allows the Clippers to more effectively run their offense. He is a beast on the boards, he can protect the paint, and he is a great P&R player. I'll take 12 points, 14 boards, 2 blocks on 70% shooting any day.

Bigs don't need to be in the paint. See this is what happens when you have an old school view of that game. Bigs need to play inside AND out, the offense flows better and things open up when you have a big man who can drag other big men outta the paint leading to more dribble penetration and more efficient offenses. Why should DMC only play inside when he can post up AND hit the three. There is nothing wrong with DMC's 45% FG because he shoots 35% from three, he's having the most efficient season of his career and he's been dominant offensively.

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
nikkas really think today's NBA is better than when the league had

Kobe
Shaq
Duncan
Mcgrady
Pierce
Kg
Iverson
Kid
Carter
Sheed
Pistons

:hhh: All these guys were in their prime too.
Don't forget steve francis

Baron Davis

Peja

Michael redd

J kidd

The list goes on and on. These new nikkas can't even defend kemba walker. Wtf they gone do with a prime iverson?

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Again, you don't watch basketball if you did you wouldn't laugh at Booker...

His offensive skillset for his age is very advanced and he's putting up 21 per game at 20 years old in 2-3 years dude is going to be a top SG in this league.

LBJ, KD, Steph, Harden, Westbrook, Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul, DMC, Anthony Davis, Isaiah Thomas, Paul George, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green the list could go on and on...

Also, the young players who are coming up look like they could be filthy. Greek Freak, KP, Towns, Andrew Wiggins, Bradley Beal, Devin Booker, Joel Embiid, Jabari Parker, Nikola Jokic, Myles Turner, Ben Simmons.

Booker being a top 5 sg in the nba shows how watered down the nba is right now. Put him in the t mac, kobe, vince cater era and he not scoring 30 a night