Kevin Garnett "AAU killing basketball"

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all gonna talk about the "entitlement " Kg spoke of ? I mean, that's his main point right ?

yes, and he is correct. its become more political and a money grab for opportunists...some who call themselves coaches. its big business. AAU coaches getting asst coaching jobs for mid-majors and even in the pros because of their affiliations. most dont have the pedigree. some of these teams are a joke.

I coached rec league boys 2 summers ago for 11-13 year olds and they let AAU teams in and basically use the league as practice. breh....they had warmups like a college or pro team would have. :what:

everybody else is drafting from a pool of lowly talent and inexperienced ballers while they let stacked superteams come in and run scores up on hapless kids. just crushing egos. going on 30-2 runs and not turning the score boards off. :snoop:

I am like who is this good for? You are hurting the kids. Not just the ones losing either. That doesnt make the AAU teams better. If you would see what I saw, it was sickening. The attitudes that they give to these kids. They start off with no humility...and they aint even done shyt!

Most that I have seen just do not want to teach any fundamentals and there is no discipline. When I was coming up, AAU wasnt big like it is today and you had to fight for your spot on the school team and even if you made it, there was no guarantee you had to play. So our "aau" was going around to different neighborhoods and parks seeking out the best ballers to pickup against.

my biggest issue is the entitlement but also they just pick up such bad habits that would not be allowed in a truly structured setting. also my son played on a school team with a kid who is gonna be a good college prospect. kid was 12 years old playing at a school 800 miles away from where his parents were because he was living with his AAU coach for the school year. :francis: so you tell me how crazy things are now.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Booker being a top 5 sg in the nba shows how watered down the nba is right now. Put him in the t mac, kobe, vince cater era and he not scoring 30 a night
He's 20 years old so I wouldn't expect him to be scoring 30 :dahell:

Vince Carter is wild overrated :snoop:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
NBA has more players able to score buckets now (which I guess means "more talented" for a lot of people), but that doesn't mean that "better basketball" is being played. The only team that has really impressed me overall these past years are the 2013-1014 Spurs. Even last years Warriors had flaws everyone saw, which led to what happened in the Finals.

The NBA isn't in a bad spot this years though, I think it's getting better, but indeed most games are 3 point contests, lay-ups with no contest, not much defense being played. I feel the worst years of no defense/flopping are behind us though, fortunately there has been a good influx of talented big man who balance the game with interior play. I think a lot depends on whether they too will jack up 3 pointers or play more in the paint.

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
He's 20 years old so I wouldn't expect him to be scoring 30 :dahell:

Vince Carter is wild overrated :snoop:
Devin booker will be the goat sg. But it still don't change the fact player from the early 2000s were better. You really think a nikka like bum ass Lowry would be a multiple time all star back then. Hell most of the best players can't even stay healthy nowadays

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Devin booker will be the goat sg. But it still don't change the fact player from the early 2000s were better. You really think a nikka like bum ass Lowry would be a multiple time all star back then. Hell most of the best players can't even stay healthy nowadays
Nikka :why:

Lowry ain't no bum that's the problem with y'all. These new names aren't what y'all used to so y'all downplay them. You did it with Kemba Walker and now you're doing it with Kyle Lowry.

Players not being healthy now is a baseless claim. A bunch of the 2000's stars were injury riddled. From T-Mac, to Baron Davis, to Steve Francis, to AI. It was probably from carrying bum ass teams.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its funny in the video I posted that Grant Hill said when you play pickup, you lose, you sit. I remember being at a full park and you sit and sometimes 3-4 teams playing in front of you so when you get on the court, competitiveness is really off the charts because you want to get on that roll and stay on the court. either you on the court for an hour and a half or you sittin for an hour and a half. :mjcry: AAU if you pay you play....no matter how bad you are either.

#SOG_soldier

Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Nikka :why:

Lowry ain't no bum that's the problem with y'all. These new names aren't what y'all used to so y'all downplay them. You did it with Kemba Walker and now you're doing it with Kyle Lowry.

Players not being healthy now is a baseless claim. A bunch of the 2000's stars were injury riddled. From T-Mac, to Baron Davis, to Steve Francis, to AI. It was probably from carrying bum ass teams.
Lowry is trash asf. Kemba Is a beast tho. Kyle Lowry wouldn't start in the t mac era. That's why kyle become a star at 29 becuase when the nba was full of killers he was a back up pg. And klye Lowry still ain't had a good playoff run yet. Didn't that bum ass nikka shot 25% from the 3 in the post season

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
because I've watched teh NBA for most of my life and its better now than its been since the 80s.

the thing is no one was being taught how to defend before the "AAU" became a thing. Go watch some tape of 80s bball. They defend better now than back then.

maybe, but I dont think AAU is killing anything.

Thats not defending AAU ball either, but this terrible NBA some people want to scream abnout just is not reality.
you are a liar sir. either you aint old enough and you straight lying about something you've never seen/witness in that 80's 90's ball early 00's. OR you are delusional. same difference.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds good but what evidence does he have to back it up? He says nikkas feel entitled but doesn't name any names. KG just sound like a old nikka rambling about nothing. Father Time still undefeated. :wow:
name what names? EVERYONE. do you want him to name every young era ball players name because he could to make his point. but its not necessary.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
NBA has more players able to score buckets now (which I guess means "more talented" for a lot of people), but that doesn't mean that "better basketball" is being played. The only team that has really impressed me overall these past years are the 2013-1014 Spurs. Even last years Warriors had flaws everyone saw, which led to what happened in the Finals.

The NBA isn't in a bad spot this years though, I think it's getting better, but indeed most games are 3 point contests, lay-ups with no contest, not much defense being played. I feel the worst years of no defense/flopping are behind us though, fortunately there has been a good influx of talented big man who balance the game with interior play. I think a lot depends on whether they too will jack up 3 pointers or play more in the paint.

THe nba players of today are more skilled in ball handling BY FAR and more skilled in Shooting By Far.

The nba players of yetserday were more skilled at post play and defense.

The nba players of today are horrible 1 on 1 defenders on average.

The nba players of yesterday were shaky ball handlers if we aint talking about most of the guards.

Strengths and weakness.
But now lets address the rule changes that has allowed a situation where you can't guard people on the perimeter even if you wanted to. you touch someone its a foul. so why even try. throw in AAU lack of defense being taught early and you have the allstar game we just saw. run the score up and play no defense because defense is not in the DNA of most current nba guys as it use to be back in the day.

this lack of defense by rules and by players lack of skill in this dept = More scoring regardless if the current players could shoot better or handle the ball better. they would score better just on the strength that theirs is a huge lack of defense right now. but to add their strengths in. and you get all these perimeter players tossing up 30pt games like its nothing. i like scoring. but i also like defense. i like the strategy of mano y mano on the court. that no longer exists.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
How do you "define" more skilled? Even the best players today from a skillset standpoint are lacking from the stars of yesteryear. Look at lebron, he's the best player today but he doesn't have the skillset of kobe bryant. James Harden game is basically a 3, a dunk, or a flop. Westbrook, has an iffy jumpshot. I say they rely more on being athletic than having actual skills. Look at the thunder, they almost made the finals starting a guy in roberson who teams don't even bother to guard. Where's his skill or outside shooting. Deundre Jordan just made all nba 1st team and he can't score outside the paint on a layup or dunk. He has no post game, or any transferable offensive skills.

You talking about big men being better shooters now than before, I AGREE, the problem is a big man should be in the paint, not trying to be dirk shooting 3s. I want to see guys like cousins, and davis, etc.. playing 15 and in, going to work on the block drawing doubles and kicking out to shooters. DMC is to good to be shooting 45% from the field because he wants to shoot 3's like he's a SG. For a big like him shooting like that is disgusting. I hope he plays more on the block in NO with davis.

No, Boogie isn't shooting 45% because he wants to shoot threes, he's shooting that percentage because he gets blocked more than anyone else in the league. He's shooting 48% on two pointers and I'd expect that to rise now that he's playing with more talent, your point would make sense if Cousins wasn't 4th in the league in post up plays per game, so what are you watching? There are bigs that post up a lot, it's just that there are more help defenders playing SF now that would have been PF-Cs 20-30 years ago that can come over and contest shots.

If you have a post up big they need a minimum of three shooters today because of the zone principles and weakside defenders being able to cheat with the pseudo double, and they themselves need to be able to hit jumpers. Look at Okafors struggles and then contrast that with Jokic who is the same size, has a mean post game but can also hit threes (Jokic is scoring an insane 1.08 points per post up). You can't go to the post every single play today because the opposing team will be happy to trade 2s for 3s, that is also why Embiid projects so highly because he's 2nd in the league in post ups per game, while also being able to get to the line and hit freethrows.

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
name what names? EVERYONE. do you want him to name every young era ball players name because he could to make his point. but its not necessary.

Ok, breh. EVERYONE feels entitled. I still have no clue what either one of you knuckleheads is talking about. :heh:

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Kyle Lowry, the dude having one of the best shooting seasons outside of Steph Curry wont be an All star in an era where being a 35% 3pt shooter was considered great? :heh:

Yall keep exposing the fact you clearly didn't watch much ball back then and clearly don't now.

"most of the players cant stay healthy nowadays" :dead:

@Gil Scott-Heroin how the fukk do you keep posting in this forum. These nikkas are clowns

#SOG_soldier

Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Kyle Lowry, the dude having one of the best shooting seasons outside of Steph Curry wont be an All star in an era where being a 35% 3pt shooter was considered great? :heh:

Yall keep exposing the fact you clearly didn't watch much ball back then and clearly don't now.

"most of the players cant stay healthy nowadays" :dead:

@Gil Scott-Heroin how the fukk do you keep posting in this forum. These nikkas are clowns
Kyle is trash in the playoffs. No heart like most these new nikkas

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
coaches are the ones that are advancing
the players got coaches finessing a million ways to make their numbers look brazy
i think the individual talent was higher in the past as far as cats that would take their matchup and kill

it's a transition from dominant individual stars to star teams