"Kobe Bryant fighting to help the NBA maintain a competitive balance."

How do you feel about players in taking paycuts during the prime of their careers?

• Total voters

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
The militant thing
:mjlol: Because its clearly nonsense that you guys made up to feel better about the situation. Kobe took 30 mil for the same reason Nash refuses to retire. They want all the money they can get and basketball competition comes second.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
:salute: to kobe get every cent you can so what if the lakers suck for the next ten years

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Competitive Balance is defined as "the situation in which no one business of a group of competing business has an unfair advantage over the others."

The biggest threat to competitive balance in the NBA is rookie contracts. First round draft picks are locked into 4 year deals that pay them solely based on how high they were drafted.

Just about every GM in the NBA is incompetent so we've never seen a team fully exploit these rookie slave deals. Take a look at the 2010-2011 OKC Thunder for an example of what could/should have happened.

Kevin Durant: 1st team All-NBA = 6 million dollar salary
Russell Westbrook: 2nd team All-NBA = 4 million dollar salary
Serge Ibaka: 13 points/10 boards/ 3.2 blocks per 36 minutes = 1.2 million dollar salary
James Harden: Premiere 6th man = 4 million dollar salary

These 4 players combined to make less money than Gilbert Arenas in 2010-2011

If OKC had cleared the salaries of their non-rookie deal players they would have had the money to add 2 max players to a core of Durant/Russ/Ibaka/Harden. The Philadelphia 76ers have a chance to do what OKC should have done, let's see how that plays out.

Until the NBA changes the CBA, nothing can be done with the rookie deals. Let's talk about what can be fixed......

Dominant players in the NBA impact the game more than dominant players in any other sport, so in the interest of competitive balance it is important that star players take every dollar that they deserve.

Lebron James made 19 million dollars this year.
Carmelo Anthony made 22.4 million dollars

People look at Carmelo's deal and say he's overpaid....they're wrong. Carmelo has been a top 10 player for the last 5 years, he is a legit max player.

Imagine the chaos that would ensue if 3 elite players got together and decided to collectively bend over for a racist power structure and take paycuts that combined for 10 million dollars a year.

big-3.jpg

There are very few players who are deserving of max level contracts. Most teams are forced to give max-deals to guys who don't deserve them because that's the only way they can recruit all star level players. It is of the utmost importance that true superstars take every penny that they can get, otherwise you will end up with Joe Johnson level players taking up more cap space than players like Lebron and Wade.

Back in 2007 a reporter asked Kobe Bryant if he would be willing to take a paycut to make it easier for Mitch Kupchak to add talent to the roster and build a championship contender.

gasol-kobe.jpg

Kobe laughed and replied "Nope, he's the GM. Figure it out." The Lakers went on to 3 consecutive finals and win 2 championships.

There's an old Chinese proverb that says "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

You could have given Mitch a fish. You could have whored yourself out, taken a paycut and made his job easier. NOPE! You stood your ground and forced him to come up with a plan. You made Mitch accountable, you made him get off his ass, you made him figure it out. You made him a better GM, a better father, and a better man! Your courage set the tone for workers across America as average wages have increased by 16% since your defiant stand against the NBA.

On behalf of sensible NBA fans I would like to thank you for taking every dollar that you deserve.

Players......don't cheat yourselves, treat yourselves. You can get what you're worth and still get rings, but it will only work if you guys stand united.

kobe_bryant_soweto_visit.jpg
Kobe is set to make about 50mil over the next two seasons.
The Lakers will be counting on Nick Young to take them to the playoffs :mjlol:
Even Kevin Love is like :whoa:

Daps
Reppin
San Antonio,TX
Kobe is steve nash status now their both just in it for the money, he could care less about the league or titles anymore thats all that says to me:manny:

Its quite funny though in kobes :old: age not only do his stans have to defend him on the court they have to :cape: for him off the court by writing ridiculous articles:mjlol:

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
the objective is to win a championship right? Wasn't people clowning Joe Johnson for picking money over winning :mjlol:
And wasn't yall just clowning Lebron for saying he won't take a paycut unless the money is put to good use....

Im confused man

richtree

Top Shotta, None Hotta!
Daps
Reppin
At the top.
You're damned if you do and damned if you're don't.
Depends on who you're trying to please - yourself or the crowd.
Taking a paycut in the prime of your career would seem kinda silly to most considering its the time where you could make the most money. What happened with the Heat trio was more of an exception than being a rule :manny:

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
shyt, I'd take all the money I could too after my union got bamboozled during the lockout. Owners crying broke yet raking in record profits ever since. nikkas idiots to not maximize their worth and/or take some idiot GM to the cleaners if they willing to give it to you. See any of the big 3 if they all opt out and sign for less

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
These athletes are putting so much wear & tear on their body by playing whatever sport they're playing. Maximize your profit in the short window that you have. If you're lucky enough to have a long career, then take a paycut & try to win if it's financially feasible for you.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
I respect Kobe choosing money over winning...I would do the same thing...I would probably lie to my fans and tell them "winning is all that matters to me" too because they'd be dumb enough to believe me...

Kobe is playing out his last days perfectly if you ask me..He gets to cash checks and keep the perception that he's Mini-Michael alive with these sound bites..D Antoni , Mitch and Buss get all the blame for not being able to win with that garbage ass roster...