Kurt Angle should be a lock for everyone's list of Top 5 Greatest Wrestlers

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
This entire conversation is ridiculous.

Kurt's sucked for years. YEARS. 17 year career and, depending on who you ask, 7-10 of them are worthless because he betrayed his own talent and ability (if we're talking about the most talented wrestlers ever, Kurt has to be in the top 5. I've never seen get good immediately the way he did, maybe even including Jumbo) and decided to do EPICS and mini-EPICS with guys like Hernandez third from the top. The entire formula is stupid and, like others have said, has contributed to finishers not meaning a damn thing anymore (see John Cena's US Title challenge for an example of how that works. The AA is essentially a bullshyt move now).

Now, he has some great, GREAT years. Kurt from 2000-2003 or so (up until he had that botched neck surgery that Brock undid with one chairshot) was an excellent wrestler, and he certainly had mini-runs afterward that I enjoyed quite a bit. But let's not act as if he had some decades long sustained run of greatness or anything. He isn't, say, Bret Hart.

@Jmare007 and @stro have been on point through the entire thread, basically. And while I can't speak to the debate about Rick Martel's greatness, since I haven't watched enough of his early work, I CAN say that the post-1996 bias is real on this board. There are plenty of wrestlers from the territory/regional era that I would take over Kurt. For example, if you replace Rick Martel with, say, Jack Brisco and ask me who the better wrestler was, I'm going with Jack Brisco every time, since he was actually at least good for his entire 20 year career.

The day people drop the blinders as it relates to Kurt is the day I rejoice as a wrestling fan.

stro is never on point for anything. :mjlol:

Daps
This entire conversation is ridiculous.

Kurt's sucked for years. YEARS. 17 year career and, depending on who you ask, 7-10 of them are worthless because he betrayed his own talent and ability (if we're talking about the most talented wrestlers ever, Kurt has to be in the top 5. I've never seen get good immediately the way he did, maybe even including Jumbo) and decided to do EPICS and mini-EPICS with guys like Hernandez third from the top. The entire formula is stupid and, like others have said, has contributed to finishers not meaning a damn thing anymore (see John Cena's US Title challenge for an example of how that works. The AA is essentially a bullshyt move now).

Now, he has some great, GREAT years. Kurt from 2000-2003 or so (up until he had that botched neck surgery that Brock undid with one chairshot) was an excellent wrestler, and he certainly had mini-runs afterward that I enjoyed quite a bit. But let's not act as if he had some decades long sustained run of greatness or anything. He isn't, say, Bret Hart.

@Jmare007 and @stro have been on point through the entire thread, basically. And while I can't speak to the debate about Rick Martel's greatness, since I haven't watched enough of his early work, I CAN say that the post-1996 bias is real on this board. There are plenty of wrestlers from the territory/regional era that I would take over Kurt. For example, if you replace Rick Martel with, say, Jack Brisco and ask me who the better wrestler was, I'm going with Jack Brisco every time, since he was actually at least good for his entire 20 year career.

The day people drop the blinders as it relates to Kurt is the day I rejoice as a wrestling fan.

What the hell is wrong with some of y'all nikkas.:bookercomeon:

Kurt angle sucked for years:mjlol:

Gtfoh with that bullsh!t.:camby:

Kurt angle got classics that spans throughout his whole career.

His skill set wasn't even lacking. Wasn't anything that he couldn't do.

Bret is up there, but let's not pretend like he didn't go ice cold in wcw compared to his wwf run.

We talking an entire career worth of classic matches and fueds.

Some of y'all bringing up a five year run where a wrestler was putting in work into the goat conversation.:aicmon:

Too much foolishness going on in this thread.:vincegetouttahere:

bear27

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It's all subjective to be fair.I heard a podcast the other day that said Nick Bockwinkel wasn't a good talker:mjlol:...deleted that to never listen to it again

It's how much you have watched,what you like,what you are looking for in a character.

I myself haven't watched much Japan/Mexico(only seen a few shows with that)....but i like old school wrestling.70's-80's stuff.

Not like i don't like Kurt i think he was good and one of the best to transition from the real stuff to the pro stuff.

But he's not in my top five.Again you all may watch different things than me but not in my top 5.at all

Good worker though.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I remember the first night he debuted in TNA, WHEW. "OMG WHATS BURT ANKLE DOING IN DA IMPACT ZONE?!"

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Breh, you're in luck. I got the entire 1984 TV schedule of Memphis uploading to my site as we speak.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I think Rick Martel is underrated and not nearly as bad as people think he is.

Not saying he's great, but I think he's pretty good
Here's the thing about Rick Martel..he had his character down and he definitely stood out. That's why he was pushed as hard as he was...even after Strike Force. He was the first person I remember seeing use the Boston Crab as a finisher and of course who can forget the Blind storyline with Jake the Snake and his brand of "Arrogance":laugh: