Kurt Angle should be a lock for everyone's list of Top 5 Greatest Wrestlers

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
The year of the Savage :wow:
A quote from Randy Savage, in regards to Dutch Mantel:

"That's like a gnat going up the back of an elephant with rape on it's mind, Dutch Mantel!"

Cjn4hdVWkAAvhpl.jpg

WaoWUyU.gif

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
A quote from Randy Savage, in regards to Dutch Mantel:

"That's like a gnat going up the back of an elephant with rape on it's mind, Dutch Mantel!"

Cjn4hdVWkAAvhpl.jpg

WaoWUyU.gif

:wow:

@R=G should check your site considering he's a huge Savage stan and I've never seen a post from him talking about his work in Memphis, which is one of the best of his career. There's a lot of piff involving Randy in 84' and 85'.

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
:wow:

@R=G should check your site considering he's a huge Savage stan and I've never seen a post from him talking about his work in Memphis, which is one of the best of his career. There's a lot of piff involving Randy in 84' and 85'.
The eps aren't up yet, but I did do a big series on the DVDVR Memphis set that included a lot of Macho stuff. A good amount of Memphis Macho gifs at least at the moment.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
They are in one way or another wrestling historians, add Charles from PWO or Irv Mushnik too.

Just like guys like Meltzer, Keller and Steve Yohe, you SHOULDN'T take their opinions more seriously than any other. I was just replying to the fact that "no wrestler historian" would put Martel over Kurt :manny:

I have no clue why you guys are acting so defensive over a wrestler that you haven't even watched his peak it seems. I don't think it would change your minds if you watched AWA and Portland Martel, but refusing to even entertaing the thought of 10 years worth of work just because is kinda funny :heh:

i watched awa martel and the talk of him being that good are over processed.

to slight who was around and the better domestic grapplers during that era.
it is a farce and used to try to qualify guys with offbrand logic.
who fail to realize martel at best was tom zenk at best as a grappler legacy wise.

if we talembout who was great in the territories,..chris daniel and aj styles blow most indy slash territory shyt out the water entirely off top.
that just for for starters and that is before the danielson and even sabin indie era's.
martel was not even as good as nigel mcguinness,
so, a lot of the over processing talk are guys making talks to look smart.
when, if they were so smart they would know to never praise martel, like that at all.

fukk martel.

martel was a look period, and tom zenk had the same look.

art barr

This entire conversation is ridiculous.

Kurt's sucked for years. YEARS. 17 year career and, depending on who you ask, 7-10 of them are worthless because he betrayed his own talent and ability (if we're talking about the most talented wrestlers ever, Kurt has to be in the top 5. I've never seen get good immediately the way he did, maybe even including Jumbo) and decided to do EPICS and mini-EPICS with guys like Hernandez third from the top. The entire formula is stupid and, like others have said, has contributed to finishers not meaning a damn thing anymore (see John Cena's US Title challenge for an example of how that works. The AA is essentially a bullshyt move now).

Now, he has some great, GREAT years. Kurt from 2000-2003 or so (up until he had that botched neck surgery that Brock undid with one chairshot) was an excellent wrestler, and he certainly had mini-runs afterward that I enjoyed quite a bit. But let's not act as if he had some decades long sustained run of greatness or anything. He isn't, say, Bret Hart.

@Jmare007 and @stro have been on point through the entire thread, basically. And while I can't speak to the debate about Rick Martel's greatness, since I haven't watched enough of his early work, I CAN say that the post-1996 bias is real on this board. There are plenty of wrestlers from the territory/regional era that I would take over Kurt. For example, if you replace Rick Martel with, say, Jack Brisco and ask me who the better wrestler was, I'm going with Jack Brisco every time, since he was actually at least good for his entire 20 year career.

The day people drop the blinders as it relates to Kurt is the day I rejoice as a wrestling fan.

kurt i will go on record and say is better than bret hart, breh.
like easily better than bret.
bret could never sell a match, breh.
kurt sold every match like his life depended on it and all time should go down as one of the most versatile performers in any capacity of the business all time as a high quality worker in ever facet.
not to many workers all time can say they are seeing kurt angle legit when it comes down to the argument.
you could start a promotion in any era with kurt angle and one prop out the time machine and he would draw and have people clamoring for more.

plus, if booked accurrately he would never get stale, either.

art barr

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
I agree man. Angle is top 5 at least. My top 5.

1. Austin
2. The Rock
3. Jericho
4. Guerrero
5. Angle

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
This entire conversation is ridiculous.

Kurt's sucked for years. YEARS. 17 year career and, depending on who you ask, 7-10 of them are worthless because he betrayed his own talent and ability (if we're talking about the most talented wrestlers ever, Kurt has to be in the top 5. I've never seen get good immediately the way he did, maybe even including Jumbo) and decided to do EPICS and mini-EPICS with guys like Hernandez third from the top. The entire formula is stupid and, like others have said, has contributed to finishers not meaning a damn thing anymore (see John Cena's US Title challenge for an example of how that works. The AA is essentially a bullshyt move now).

Now, he has some great, GREAT years. Kurt from 2000-2003 or so (up until he had that botched neck surgery that Brock undid with one chairshot) was an excellent wrestler, and he certainly had mini-runs afterward that I enjoyed quite a bit. But let's not act as if he had some decades long sustained run of greatness or anything. He isn't, say, Bret Hart.

@Jmare007 and @stro have been on point through the entire thread, basically. And while I can't speak to the debate about Rick Martel's greatness, since I haven't watched enough of his early work, I CAN say that the post-1996 bias is real on this board. There are plenty of wrestlers from the territory/regional era that I would take over Kurt. For example, if you replace Rick Martel with, say, Jack Brisco and ask me who the better wrestler was, I'm going with Jack Brisco every time, since he was actually at least good for his entire 20 year career.

The day people drop the blinders as it relates to Kurt is the day I rejoice as a wrestling fan.

:salute::salute:

Ill-Yaz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Difficult to put him in top 5 when your top 3 slots are already reserved and you then gotta add Austin and Rock to that list too