Let's define SOUL

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I've posed this question before, but what exactly is it??? :jbhmm:
And what is it that makes US as African Americans have it over other groups such as whites, asians, hispanics etc.

Discuss :hubie:
EDIT:
Aight, I think I'm ready to share. I came to the notion a while back that "soul" is the africanisms that survived the middle passage and enslavement. That's what makes it so hard to define-- we're not able to source it most of the time. Googling around, a found this article SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research there's a login wall, but you can register and read it for free with a google account. A few excerpts:

LeRoi Jones considered another aspect of African American musice when he wrote that "The call-and-response form of Africa (lead and chorus) has never left us, as a mode of musical expression. It has come down both as vocal and instrumental form. Herskovitz continues this train of thought with the observation that "The pattern whereby the statement of theme by a leader is repeated by a chorus, or a short choral phrase is balanced as a refrain against a longer melodic line sung by the soloist, is fundamental and has been commented on by all who have heard Negroes sing in Africa or elsewhere." . . . . Every being born in the world has a soul, but not everyone has soul. Soul in this context is the socioethnic phenomenon peculiar to African Americans as manifested in the retention of African elements in African American culture in the United States.

Cool, but it doesn't really mean anything without a tangible example right??? Here's where it gets dope :whoo:

Maude Cuney-Hare, in here early work "Negro Musicians and Their Music" cites the experience of a Bishop Fisher of Calcutta who traveled to Central Africa:

... in Rhodesia he had heard natives sing a melody so closely resembling "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" that he felt that he had found it in its original form: moreover, the region near the great Victoria Falls has a custom from which the song arose. When one of the chiefs in the olden days was about to die, he was placed in a great canoe together with trappings that marked his rank, and food for his journey. The canoe was set afloat in midstream headed toward the great Falls that rises from them. Meanwhile the tribe on the shore would sing its chant of farewell. The legend is that on one occasion the king was seen to rise in his canoe at the very brink of the Falls and enter a chariot that, descending from the mist, bore him aloft. This incident gave rise to the words of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" and the song, brought to America by African slaves long ago, became anglicized and modified by their Christian faith.

Quick youtube search and I find this

The video description says: "We were greeted by a chorus of 'Swing Low Sweet Chariot" prior to embarking on a Sundowner Cruise. Filmed at the Zambezi River, Zimbabwe"

And where is Victoria Falls located??? On the Zambezi river :banderas: :blessed:

That's soul :wow:

Last edited:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
They do but it's more associated with us though. Its been ingrained in us. We showed others the way and they very often acknowledge that.
Ingrained how? Why weren't they ingrained?
(Sidenote: I'll be posing mostly questions to explore/better understand people's viewpoint)

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Ingrained how? Why weren't they ingrained?
(Sidenote: I'll be posing mostly questions to explore/better understand people's viewpoint)
Our ancestors had to repress a lot of emotions in order to survive. They had to find other outlets to express these strong emotions. Singing, playing, dancing etc. They passed that down

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Our ancestors had to repress a lot of emotions in order to survive. They had to find other outlets to express these strong emotions. Singing, playing, dancing etc. They passed that down

Okay, so let's consider the movie 12 years a slave, assuming you've seen it. Solomon Northup was renown for his violin skills... Was that soul? In your opinion.

something that your music lacks, and will never have:umad:
That's the most soulful typing you heard in your life :banderas: I can tell cuz you're still talking about it

Y'all download that thang :lawd:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Okay, so let's consider the movie 12 years a slave, assuming you've seen it. Simon Birchup was renown for his violin skills... Was that soul? In your opinion.

That's the most soulful typing you heard in your life :banderas: I can tell cuz you're still talking about it

Y'all download that thang :lawd:
what is soulful about anything in your music?:scust: You make music for homeless methead cacs:umad:

Daps
Reppin
St louis
we are the children of the drum/africa.
if a artist aint hitting you with some
lyrics or notes that dont make you
cut these faces during the song....it aint soul.
:wow::ohlawd::ahh:
2qtzsyw.jpg

wat6rr.jpg