Let's define SOUL

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
The origins of “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” are Black American. They most likely just sung it to pay homage.
What WE know as Swing Low Sweet Chariot has deeper origins than America. It was carried over from Africa and made new. I don't think it's a coincidence that an article from 20 years ago, giving account from someone even longer ago, has consistencies with the place and manner in which they're singing the song in the video.
I was lucky to grow up in an era when Blacks still had soul.

I will say this, it is something that I’ve never heard defined in words, but yet we all still knew wha it was...that is what having soul is.

We walked around proudly wearing shirts that said “It’s a Black Thing You Wouldn't Understand”... this was a fad for YEARS(along with wearing the Africa medallions), and no one, not one Black person, dared ask what exactly is “it’s”... they didn’t say “what, exactly, is a Black thing?”. And when a white asked, they got no explanation other than a pat on the back and reassuring “you wouldn’t understand anyway”. When you heard that phrase or walked past somebody wearing the shirt, you already knew. You needed no explanation. You know what “it” is in “it’s a Black thing”, you know what a “Black thing”, entailed. That, is having soul.

When you told another negro he was acting white, he still had enough soul in him to NOT turn around and fire back “well what exactly is acting BLACK supposed to mean??”. No. We knew what it was to act Black, and it didn’t need to be defined in words. And we were proud of it. And we embraced that fact that we were so mysterious to whites, because of it. That, is having soul.

Having soul is not something I can remember having ever been defined verbally, as a matter of fact that would probably do more harm to the thought of having soul, than good. We all just knew. Everybody pretty much was on code, and it was normal. A normal damn thing. It was just, us. Hard to explain. It wasn’t something we thought we’d have to document and mummify and preserve for 30years until 2019 to remind ourselves. Black folks just had soul.

Black children knew all the Black dances(electric slide etc). Black kids these days know nothing. Black children knew all the Black movies no matter how old the movie is. These days there are BLACK HUMAN BEINGS walking around who’ve never seen New Jack City or Beat Street or Breaking. Having soul, was having Black movies on rotation like they just came out last night no matter how old they are. And you grew up watching them and being filled with old soulful music.

I have to stop because I could ramble on and on. I cannot explain what it means to have soul. And that’s the most beautiful thing about it.

And no, most of you #NewBlacks do NOT have any. You’re watered down and microwaved out, and it’s not your fault...but it is what it is.

I think you're missing the point of the thread. This may or may not make sense but there are thousands of experiences (if not more) out there that can't be directly translated in English-- Soul is one of them.

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
I think you're missing the point of the thread. This may or may not make sense but there are thousands of experiences (if not more) out there that can't be directly translated in English-- Soul is one of them.

As someone who is bilingual I overstand in many levels the struggle with trying to express certain things that have no words in English with which to properly express them. That, may in fact be your interpretation of what the “point of the thread”
(Let's define SOUL), may or may not be.

For me, the point of the thread is “Let’s define soul”. You might’ve missed the point of my post, as it is vaguely parallel with exactly the point you are making regarding being unable to express it with words.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
As someone who is bilingual I overstand in many levels the struggle with trying to express certain things that have no words in English with which to properly express them. That, may in fact be your interpretation of what the “point of the thread”
(Let's define SOUL), may or may not be.

For me, the point of the thread is “Let’s define soul”. You might’ve missed the point of my post, as it is vaguely parallel with exactly the point you are making regarding being unable to express it with words.
I was talking about all that other shyt about "new blacks' and whatever else