Lineups that were used (by good teams) that seem ridiculous in retrospect

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The 1998 Western Conference Semifinals was completely mind-boggling in terms of the lineups the two teams used.

Spurs

C: Will Perdue
PF: David Robinson
SF: Tim Duncan
SG: Jaren Jackson
PG: Avery Johnson

That's for real. The Spurs started three 7-footers who could have all played center, simultaneously. And it wasn't one fluke series - they had used the same lineup for half of their 1st-round series and in 21 regular season games that year.

Jazz

C: Greg Foster/Greg Ostertag
PF: Karl Malone
SF: Adam Keefe
SG: Jeff Hornacek
PG: John Stockton

Not to be outdone, the Jazz started four White Americans for most of the series. On top of that, everyone other than Foster and Keefe was 35 years old. This lineup had also started most of the first round and regular season (with Greg Ostertag sometimes taking Greg Foster's place at center).

I still can't believe that three legit centers faced off against four White Americans in an actual WCSF, and this was only 20 years ago. Anyone else got examples of lineups that would be inconceivable by modern standards?

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
greg foster was from the bay area......so I always assumed he was just a very light skinned black man

foster1a.jpg

I always thought he was a White dude, but he is from Oakland so.... :patrice:

Anyway, they started Ostertag instead of Foster at times, so my "four White guys" lineup still holds. :lolbron:

Sweet Pea

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
The 1989 Utah Jazz used a starting lineup throughout the season of

C: Mark Eaton
SF: Marc Iavaroni
SG: Darrell Griffith

And even more ridiculous is when they went

C: Mark Eaton
PF: Mike Brown
SF: Karl Malone
SG: Bob Hansen

Gothboi J

All Star
Daps
The 1998 Western Conference Semifinals was completely mind-boggling in terms of the lineups the two teams used.

Spurs

C: Will Perdue
PF: David Robinson
SF: Tim Duncan
SG: Jaren Jackson
PG: Avery Johnson

That's for real. The Spurs started three 7-footers who could have all played center, simultaneously. And it wasn't one fluke series - they had used the same lineup for half of their 1st-round series and in 21 regular season games that year.

Jazz

C: Greg Foster
SF: Adam Keefe
SG: Jeff Hornacek

Not to be outdone, the Jazz started four White Americans for most of the series. On top of that, everyone other than Foster and Keefe was 35 years old. This lineup had also started most of the first round and regular season (with Greg Ostertag sometimes taking Greg Foster's place at center).

I still can't believe that three legit centers faced off against four White Americans in an actual WCSF, and this was only 20 years ago. Anyone else got examples of lineups that would be inconceivable by modern standards?
So basically the 90s was garbage and the superior athletes of today along with better coaching schemes makes for better basketball

collateral.

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
This thread will be revisited when the Fakers put out a lineup of

Ball
Caldwell-Pope
Stephenson
Kuzmam
James