LIVE from Detroit ... the 2024 Official NFL Draft Thread (April 25-27) 6PM EST, ABC/ESPN/NFL Network

Do the Bears take Caleb #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
It's easier to build a team around a QB on a rookie QB then overpaying for a marginal one and hamstringing your team for years. I see the thought process behind it even if I don't necessarily agree with it.
It's easier but it's not sustainable. Every team that has operated under that building strategy has had to tear down their roster and try to quickly rebuild once their QB's 2nd contract kicks in. Chiefs are the only ones to survive this and remain at the same level of competitiveness, with every other team(Chargers/Bills/Eagles/Bengals/etc) in recent years taking some form of a step back.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Atlanta with the dumbest pick of the first draft

They have no pass rush and u gave kirk a big 4 year deal
The bolded is the problem.

If Kirk was one his last year, or even on a 2 year deal, I get it. But they had their pick of any defender and just committed it all to Kirk... and they took Penix. And the GM or whoever seems content with Penix sitting until he's 28-29...

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

If Kirk was one his last year, or even on a 2 year deal, I get it. But they had their pick of any defender and just committed it all to Kirk... and they took Penix. And the GM or whoever seems content with Penix sitting until he's 28-29...
It essentially is a 2 year deal as they can cut him after the 2nd season at only a $25 million dead cap hit.

He will more than likely end up getting benched at some point next season if he plays just alright so he doesn't get injured and it becomes guaranteed for injury.

vino

Superstar
Daps

They should made a move for Russell before Steelers did. Got him for cheap with the intention of drafting Penix. Man, that was full on incompetence.

Plus, Kirk coming off an Achilles injury too. Atlanta sport writers probably tearing them up.

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA

He actually is breh. We only owe him 10 mill after 2025. He was always getting cut/retiring after that, unless he was playing top 5 QB-level ball.

MP is hitting the field at the same age Rodgers did

vino

Superstar
Daps
He actually is breh. We only owe him 10 mill after 2025. He was always getting cut/retiring after that, unless he was playing top 5 QB-level ball.

MP is hitting the field at the same age Rodgers did

Didn’t he get a big guarantee though?

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
I think a lot of people are forgetting he (Cousins) just tore his Achilles last year. There's no tellin how his ass is gonna bounce back. I actually don't think this pick is as bas as some people think it is.

vino

Superstar
Daps
I think a lot of people are forgetting he just tore his Achilles last year. There's no tellin how his ass is gonna bounce back. I actually don't think this pick is as bas as some people think it is.

I think it’s the 100 million guaranteed that makes this pick for Penix bad. They should’ve never guaranteed that with intention of drafting a QB this high.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
I think a lot of people are forgetting he (Cousins) just tore his Achilles last year. There's no tellin how his ass is gonna bounce back. I actually don't think this pick is as bas as some people think it is.

A team taking a QB to eventually take over for an older one is smart.
But to do so when you just signed one to a long-term deal with 100M guaranteed is asinine.

However, the thread has informed me that Atlanta has an out after year 2 so it may not be so bad.

Last edited:

Eye Cue DA COLI GAWD

Once tyranny starts, tyranny doesn't stop
Daps
Carolina moving up to 32 and not really giving up anything might be one of the smartest moves I’ve ever seen. Locks up a guy who you think could be a great player with the 5th year option.
It's not really that ground breaking. Teams do it all the time :mjlol: