Louisiana Gov signs bill that includes no parole eligibility for future offenders, more legal protection for cops and more death row execution methods

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:francis:

The man who signed the Bill
Jeff-Landry.jpg

His Democratic opponent

shawn-wilson.jpeg

Apparently Louisiana hasn't had a black governor since Reconstruction.

Landry won with 547,827 votes vs 275,525 for Shawn Wilson.

------------REGISTERED VOTERS-------------------------DEMOCRATS----------------------REPUBLICANS------------------------------OTHER PARTIES--------------
TOTALWHITEBLACKOTHERTOTALWHITEBLACKOTHERTOTALWHITEBLACKOTHERTOTALWHITEBLACKOTHER
2,977,4081,869,573928,891178,9441,139,683388,924700,511502481,013,896949,61822,17942,099823,829531,031206,20186,597

The formatting is off but this came from the Secretary of State site for this year, not last year.

That said, 928,891 total black voters, 700k of which are Black Dems. 206,201 are other or independent. We can sit here and talk about other races engagement, but will it be other races getting the brunt of Gov. Landry's fukkery? It is what it is.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
idgaf about harsher crime laws :manny:

this country isnt built for criminal rehabilitation so most ppl who enter the criminal justice system will stay there.

if black folks realistically want to mitigate incarceration rates then we have to mobilize around labor and education initiatives. Asking for lesser penalties in order to help the community is ass backwards. Young men of a truly stable community dont wind up there in the first place (yes I’m aware this country has gone out of its way to target men),

we have to stop with this delusional attitude that cacs have us trapped unless we completely dismantle all systems of hierarchy, oppression and exploitation . shyts not changing anytime soon

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This bill gonna send a disproportionate amount of Blk men and young Blk men to prison!! Terrible!

I seriously doubt that a 17 yr old white boy gonna get the book thrown @ him unless it is an extreme and I mean an extreme circumstance. Smh..

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
This bill gonna send a disproportionate amount of Blk men and young Blk men to prison!! Terrible!

I seriously doubt that a 17 yr old white boy gonna get the book thrown @ him unless it is an extreme and I mean an extreme circumstance. Smh..

He'd have to AR15 a White mall or school, only then will they even look at him seriously.
The average White American enjoys the benefits of unwritten immunity not extended to Blacks :manny:

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He'd have to AR15 a White mall or school, only then will they even look at him seriously.
The average White American enjoys the benefits of unwritten immunity not extended to Blacks :manny:

I could see a lot of new prisons being built in the foreseeable future in Louisiana and companies getting rich off of Blk prison labor.

I don't like the bill @ all and puts all Blk men at risk including the wrongfully convicted ones. I hope Blk ppl down there will mount up and do something about it because many of them will be personally affected by the tough on "Blk" crime bill. Smh..

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Again, these states continue to show their racism and their willingness to waste financial resources on policies that do not work. More incarceration, more policing does not solve crimes it’s just one big money pit

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
I could see a lot of new prisons being built in the foreseeable future in Louisiana and companies getting rich off of Blk prison labor.

I don't like the bill @ all and puts all Blk men at risk including the wrongfully convicted ones. I hope Blk ppl down there will mount up and do something about it because many of them will be personally affected by the tough on "Blk" crime bill. Smh..

They Black folks down there will have to make personal and collective choices that ultimately come down to Flight or Fight. Personally I'd just gather my shyt, and depart the state..

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They Black folks down there will have to make personal and collective choices that ultimately come down to Flight or Fight. Personally I'd just gather my shyt, and depart the state..

Yeah..

I could see them bringing back Jim Crow laws and locking Brehs up for iish like reckless eyeballing and dumb iish like that!

Their governor is intent in keeping the prison population full!! Unfortunately, most of the prisoners will be Blk men.

I would bounce as well, but many ppl can't do that so I hope those of then who are in the streets down here know what they are up against!!

Phitz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know you're not from the states so I'll go easy on you by just stating that these culture war crises aren't actually real nor are they actual policies that the American "left" create policies for.

This on the other hand are real policies that will inevitably fukk over black Americans

Isn't there a policy in California(and maybe other states, I could be wrong about either) being pushed or already in play that removes children from parents who wont let them have gender surgery or disagrees with them being trans? I know it takes custody away from a parent that is not with that.

That is a policy already in play in California if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not big on either party, there has to be some legit alternatives as well as coming to the table from an economic stand point to get policies pushed that promote black NUCLEAR families. You cant just be voting left because getting bent over is better than getting shot, extreme cases but I'm just illustrating a point.

Phitz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

that would be sad, as Louisiana has rich black culture and history just being dissolved like that. I see it already as I've met many from that state who have already relocated elsewhere in droves during and after Katrina. Even now.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Again, these states continue to show their racism and their willingness to waste financial resources on policies that do not work. More incarceration, more policing does not solve crimes it’s just one big money pit
What do you mean? Locking people up, especially minorities, and keeping them away is exactly what they want.

:pachaha:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Isn't there a policy in California(and maybe other states, I could be wrong about either) being pushed or already in play that removes children from parents who wont let them have gender surgery or disagrees with them being trans? I know it takes custody away from a parent that is not with that.

I'm not big on either party, there has to be some legit alternatives as well as coming to the table from an economic stand point to get policies pushed that promote black NUCLEAR families. You cant just be voting left because getting bent over is better than getting shot, extreme cases but I'm just illustrating a point.

Facebook posts

stated on September 29, 2022 in a post:

California’s Senate Bill 107 means “your child can now be taken from your custody if you do not affirm gender-reassignment surgery.”

true
false

By Andy NguyenOctober 10, 2022

New California law on transgender youths doesn’t remove a parent’s custody​

IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT​

• A new California law provides legal protections for parents fleeing states that have banned gender-affirming health care for youths.

• The law clarifies that California courts have jurisdiction over any custody cases that may arise from parents taking their children to the state for care.

• It doesn’t give the state permission to take custody of a child if one parent disagrees with a child’s decision to seek gender-affirming health care.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom recently signed into law a measure that aims to strengthen protections for transgender youths and their families.

Senate Bill 107 contains an array of safeguards for families who arrive in California from states where their children have been denied gender-affirming health care.

It bans courts from enforcing subpoenas from other states regarding minors seeking that care. It prohibits health care providers from releasing medical information. And it clarifies that California courts have jurisdiction over any child custody cases arising from parents taking their children to the state for care.

But a Sept. 29 Facebook post went further to suggest the law says something else:

"Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill 107 into law. In the state of California, your child can now be taken from your custody if you do not affirm gender-reassignment surgery."

The post, shared by the American Council, is a screenshot of a tweet by the group’s founder, Tanner DiBella. The American Council describes itself as an organization dedicated to increasing voter turnout among Christian evangelicals.

The post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. (Read more about our partnership with Facebook.)

DiBella told PolitiFact the California Legislative Counsel’s summary of the law backs up his reasoning. He pointed specifically to a passage of the summary at the top of bill’s text that reads, "The bill would authorize a court to take temporary jurisdiction because a child has been unable to obtain gender-affirming health care."

But experts we spoke to said that doesn’t mean the state would take custody of the child — it clarifies that California courts would assume jurisdiction of the legal matter. Current law allows California courts to decline jurisdiction in multistate custody matters in certain circumstances.

Courtney Joslin, a Martin Luther King Jr. professor of law at the University of California, Davis School of Law, said the law has nothing to do with who gets custody of a child during a dispute and makes no mention of allowing the court to take custody.

"It’s just describing which courts have jurisdiction in those multi-state (custody disputes)," she said. "There’s no possibility that this bill could be interpreted to do what this person is claiming."

Asaf Orr, a senior staff attorney and Transgender Youth Project director at the National Center for Lesbian Rights, said the bill doesn’t give California carte blanche to remove a child from a parent’s custody.

FEATURED FACT-CHECK​

322c808c00e73c217d17772ddd5a0eb5.jpg
8b142c91ebe468a84a192e6df2b7b994.jpg

Instagram posts

stated on February 11, 2024 in an Instagram post

If a woman in Texas takes “abortion pills voluntarily,” she would be “charged with murder.”

true
false

By Jeff Cercone • February 14, 2024

If parents disagree over whether their child should receive gender-affirming care in California, a state court would hear that case and rule based on evidence provided by both parents, Orr said. Out-of-state laws would not apply to the court’s determination.

Orr said this isn't a new thing, as a state already has jurisdiction over court cases related to children who recently entered that state, for reasons such as escaping from domestic violence.

"It just ensures that, in situations like this, the court recognizes they have jurisdiction to hear these cases and that they’re going to decide them based on the evidence," he said. "Both parties, as in any court case, will have the opportunity to present evidence and it’s going to be individualized for that young person."

Wendy Seiden, a visiting professor at Chapman University’s Fowler School of Law, said there is nothing in the law that would allow California to take custody of a child. But it does allow California to resist another state’s attempt to remove a parent’s custody if the proposed removal is based on that parent’s efforts to get gender-affirming care for their child.

California state Sen. Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, an attorney and Senate Bill 170’s author, described DiBella’s interpretation of the text as "categorically false."

"It doesn’t change custody laws in any way," Wiener said. "It just means that, rather than having to go back to Texas or Alabama, they can do it in court here."

Weiner said he authored the bill in response to proposed legislation in other states involving transgender youth. It provides guidance, he said, for California courts concerning custody hearings involving transgender youths and it helps protect parents who decide to bring their children to the state.

"This bill literally protects parents’ ability to make decisions about children's health care without having to be thrown in prison," Wiener said.

At least 24 states have proposed bills since Jan. 1 targeting transgender or nonbinary youths’ ability to receive gender-affirming care.

In Texas, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott issued a directive earlier this year that ordered state officials to launch child abuse investigations of parents suspected of allowing their child to receive gender-affirming care.

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed a law in April that makes providing gender-affirming care for youths a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Our ruling

A Facebook post claims that a recently signed California law dealing with gender-affirming care for transgender youth will allow that state to take custody of a child from a parent.

Experts said that’s not so. The bill clarifies that California courts have jurisdiction to hear any custody cases related to a child being taken to the state to seek gender-affirming health care. It does not say that the courts can take custody of a child.

We rate this claim False.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps

That's from a libs of TikTok post last year that Elon also signal boosted and it's really hard for me to imagine CPS (cold protective services) taking away kids based solely on that.

on the other hand the prison industrial complex is far more dangerous in breaking up black nuclear families than gender assigning care. It's not even on the same magnitude plus I could care less what someone does with their body, it ain't my problem.

Trans youth ‘terrified’ of what Louisiana’s new health care ban will mean

based on Medicaid-enrolled minors, revealed that from 2017 to 2021, no gender-reaffirming surgeries were conducted on children in the state and just a few dozen minors received gender transition care annually.

Of the nearly 800,000 children enrolled in Medicaid in the state, 465 were diagnosed by a health care provider with gender dysphoria in 2021. Fifty-seven of those children were considered candidates for puberty blockers or hormone replacements, according to the state health department study