Lyft and Uber to leave Minneapolis after council forces them to pay drivers more

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
-How many people in Mpls do you know making $200 a night?

-Where would you be at where you're hailing a cab?

-It's pretty easy to use public transportation to get anywhere in the actual city outside some A.M. hours. Same for most surrounding suburbs. Lyft/Uber add convenience buy they're not a necessity.
are you really saying with a straight face that Minneapolis is better off with Uber and Lyft leaving? that's the only thing that ultimately matters :dead:

the answer is obviously no

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
I mean arnt they independent contractors? They decided to sign up to be drivers so what's the problem? Rideshare prices are damn high where I was living before so the impact of $15 an hour for the drivers would only make the rides higher. Only way I can see this working is if the rides have companies cut down on the number of drivers.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
I mean what do yall expect from companies that live off VC funding.

Uber and lyft forced taxi companies to introduce apps and hire more drivers to compete. Now they're getting pushed out because taxi companies can scoop up the people who've built up experience and skills driving for Uber and lyft :mjlol:

They should've been out of business a while ago.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
I used Uber for the first time last month in Nashville.. it was mildly convenient but pretty expensive for the distances I used them for. I wonder how much the drivers get out of that money before the tips.. you’d think the drivers wouldn’t have to just rely on the tip money but it is whet it is. I was mad cause drivers kept rejecting me I guess because they didn’t want to navigate through Broadway and the area around it I guess

Drivers basically get about 40-50% of what you are paying as a rider. Uber/Lyft are robbing the drivers, when is causing this uproar.

So, it most cases, if you are looking for a longer ride, it will be much harder to get a ride, since the driver gets nothing to get back to the area where they originally picked you up from. So drivers are also not looking as often to pick up rides that will take them to an area where isnt not easy to get another ride immediately.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Damn I couldn’t imagine not having the option in 2024. I don’t use it really at all at home but I kill it when I’m out of town.

Sonny Bonds

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Uber was working on their own automated car solution. And their dream was that eventually they wouldn't need drivers anymore, but they gave up on that.

I'm pretty sure that they're just waiting for Waymo cars to work better so they can merge with them.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I

Its not a salary based job :dahell:

fukk them drivers, shyt got out of hand way too quick. When the cost of an uber at certain times cost more than a fukking rental car, cause these apps got to keep appeasing BUMS who want to do this shyt full time, glorified taxi drivers :camby:

This shyt supposed to be supplemental income and of course idiots fukked it up for everyone

fukk them drivers :pacspit: mcdonalds hiring :pacspit:

I do the odd uber as a side gig when I have downtime

its uber not the drivers breh, you're paying uber 20 for a ride, the driver is getting like 8 and uber is taking like 12 is fees and other ish

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I drive Uber part time, so I think that this is one of those rare 'both sides' arguments that actually applies.

Should people who drive make a fair wage? Yes, for sure. $15/hour isnt alot at all, so there is no reason that if a Mom and Pops shop can pay their workers that amount that Uber cant do so. What they need to do is limit the amount of drivers that can be on the app in the area to keep them busy for the time that they work.

Also, Uber and Lyft are very good at all the word salad that they are unprofitable in overall business, and that is their own fault. Considering that they take 50%+ of the fares the riders are paying, they have more then enough money. They choose to blow MILLIONS a year in trying to develop ways for Auto vehicles to be on the road so they can get rid of drivers, and that is how they make themselves unprofitable on the books. They have no issues still paying higher-ups lofty bonuses, so all that noise is BS. They tried that in NYC and California, and are still there.

If they decide to leave on May 1st, that will hurt alot of people in the area. Drivers- a big way to make money in your own time, or unemployed. Riders- an easy way to get to and from places without shoddy public transportation.

Uber/Lyft helps more Black/Brown people then can be written about (even though they charge us more on average, from my own studies), but these companies are full of it and that un-profitable mess they peddle out here.

Yeah like I mentioned its uber taking the large chunk of money, and its also their fault as well for oversaturation of drivers. Door dash has a limit on the amount of dashers, uber is a free for all

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
It’s not a sustainable model. I enjoyed the heyday of Uber/lyft from 2013-2019 when it was subsidized cheap rides, and when they had even cheaper shared rides, etc. but when they went public and raised prices, and the cost to go to the airport went from $30 to $60 they lost me as a customer.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
yeah, thats not the takeaway here :dead:

first of all, dont uber and lyft lose a ton of money? second of all, do you think any of the drivers or riders are happy that the companies are leaving? this is not a win for anyone

Basically competition is killing uber. But if they were no competition, theyd be killing us the consumers :heh:

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
are you really saying with a straight face that Minneapolis is better off with Uber and Lyft leaving? that's the only thing that ultimately matters
the answer is obviously no
-So you know 0 drivers in Mpls that make $200 a night, I figured. Nice attempt to change the subject though.