Making Gumbo for the first time today although I’ve never tasted it. Any tips?

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
I’m gonna make a gumbo today, but I’ve never tasted one before but I’ve seen a few recipes so it should be fine. Any tips, what flavours should I be tasting at the end? Smokey, spicy herby, seafoody.

I’ve got
sausage
Smoked pork
Smoked oysters
Crab
Prawns
I may put some chicken in it.

What is the best time to put in the Okra?
I couldn’t find filé powder any substitutions?

Objection

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
I’m gonna make a gumbo today, but I’ve never tasted one before but I’ve seen a few recipes so it should be fine. Any tips, what flavours should I be tasting at the end? Smokey, spicy herby, seafoody.

I’ve got
sausage
Smoked pork
Smoked oysters
Crab
Prawns
I may put some chicken in it.

What is the best time to put in the Okra?
I couldn’t find filé powder any substitutions?
I'd say either do a chicken and sausage gumbo or a seafood gumbo. Unless you know how to keep the okra from being slimy, I wouldn't add it. If you're gonna add chicken, season it and brown it before putting it on the gumbo. Don't buy the pre-made holy trinity and cut the veggies fresh.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
You should've tried A LOT to get a sense of what's good. It's not your fault but it's gonna be bad and you're not gonna know it :mjcry:
You don’t have any faith in me at all!
I’m making it for a Louisiana native but he doesn’t have a recipe so I’m going by the glory of the internet right now.

las-locuras.gif

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
I'd say either do a chicken and sausage gumbo or a seafood gumbo. Unless you know how to keep the okra from being slimy, I wouldn't add it. If you're gonna add chicken, season it and brown it before putting it on the gumbo. Don't buy the pre-made holy trinity and cut the veggies fresh.
Yeah I think adding the okra at the right time will prevent it from being slimy. I cut up my own aromatics so should be good. I may save the chicken for another dish.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
You don’t have any faith in me at all!
I’m making it for a Louisiana native but he doesn’t have a recipe so I’m going by the glory of the internet right now.

las-locuras.gif
I said it's not your fault :ufdup:
Gumbo has gotta be one of the most difficult dishes to make

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cajun Ninja on YouTube has a really solid recipe. You can’t really fukk it up once you get past the roux. I’m an okra fan, you can’t use frozen okra it’s gonna be awful. You gotta use fresh but you gotta cook out the slime.

Also the pot is important. They don’t make the old Magnalite pots anymore but those pots were amazing.