Making Gumbo for the first time today although I’ve never tasted it. Any tips?

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Tips? Sauté your holy trinity first and do your roux WITH them included. Control your heat and constantly stir until the color is right. Don’t complicate it by doing too much. Either seafood or chicken and andouille, not all at the same time. Use a couple of bay leaves and skip the okra on your first go round.

RICE… a cup of cooked rice in the bowl with the gumbo on top.

:wow:

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Came to say this. It's all about the roux
Ok so I toasted my flour first to avoid any burning, then added my neutral oil. I achieved a chocolate colour like melted milk chocolate before I added in my aromatics. So so far so good. Because I toasted my flour before hand, I avoided the risk of burning because I didn’t add fat. I just added the oil in when the flour was the colour of wheat timbs then used the fat to cook the flour itself then kept going till it became the colour of chocolate. Then it cooked further once so added aromatics.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Tips? Sauté your holy trinity first and do your roux WITH them included. Control your heat and constantly stir until the color is right. Don’t complicate it by doing too much. Either seafood or chicken and andouille, not all at the same time. Use a couple of bay leaves and skip the okra on your first go round.

RICE… a cup of cooked rice in the bowl with the gumbo on top.

:wow:
I’m making it with black rice, he’s not eating white rice at the mo and I’m gonna bake some cornbread on the side. I’m really excited I hope he likes it.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Cajun Ninja on YouTube has a really solid recipe. You can’t really fukk it up once you get past the roux. I’m an okra fan, you can’t use frozen okra it’s gonna be awful. You gotta use fresh but you gotta cook out the slime.

Also the pot is important. They don’t make the old Magnalite pots anymore but those pots were amazing.
Thank you, all I have is frozen okra. Does Frozen okra change the taste. I know to make sure it doesn’t come out slimy.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Put the okra in once it's almost done so it's not too slimy.

Add 1 or 2 bay leaves but they're not be eaten.
Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper
Done all of the above, bay leaf is a STAPLE in my kitchen. I was thinking of putting the okra in when I put in the prawns right at the end. I only have frozen okra though.

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Done all of the above, bay leaf is a STAPLE in my kitchen. I was thinking of putting the okra in when I put in the prawns right at the end. I only have frozen okra though.
That's cool. You can use frozen okra. Just add it at the last 10-15 minutes

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
It doesn’t seem like it, it seems pretty straight forward and easy to me. Hopefully he likes it. It taste pretty banging so far.
I’m making it for a Louisiana native

You're so far out of your depth here :mindblown:
Again it's not your fault but Louisiana folk are the most snootiest judgin ass muhfukkas when it comes to their cuisine. If they say they like it they really love you :to:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
You don’t have any faith in me at all!
I’m making it for a Louisiana native but he doesn’t have a recipe so I’m going by the glory of the internet right now.

las-locuras.gif
Which coli breh you dating :pachaha:

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thank you, all I have is frozen okra. Does Frozen okra change the taste. I know to make sure it doesn’t come out slimy.
the texture of frozen okra isn't good at all, its almost like stringy. But frozen okra doesnt have nearly as much slime because of the freezing process, just make sure you let it thaw before you use it.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
You're so far out of your depth here :mindblown:
Again it's not your fault but Louisiana folk are the most snootiest judgin ass muhfukkas when it comes to their cuisine. If they say they like it they really love you :to:
Well we shall see, it taste good so far. It doesnt seem that complicated. He told me a while back that Gumbo is one of his favourites so I’m finally making it. So hopefully it’s good enough to pass the test.

Last edited:

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
the texture of frozen okra isn't good at all, its almost like stringy. But frozen okra doesnt have nearly as much slime because of the freezing process, just make sure you let it thaw before you use it.
Thank you. I’ll def take that into consider next time but it genuinely is so far so good so I’m gonna keep going with optimism and hope.