Making Gumbo for the first time today although I’ve never tasted it. Any tips?

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
I’m trying to get it to the chocolate coloured stage

Do it slow. You have to keep stirring.

I’ve scorched it before and it ruins the whole damn pot. It’s edible, you just get that weird scorched taste.

Also I personally don’t like okra but I’ve had it plenty of times with okra and it’s ok.

I remember this lady in my neighborhood made a pot of gumbo and she put everything under the sun in it. :mjlol: I think she had oranges in that shyt :dead:

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Do it slow. You have to keep stirring.

I’ve scorched it before and it ruins the whole damn pot. It’s edible, you just get that weird scorched taste.

Also I personally don’t like okra but I’ve had it plenty of times with okra and it’s ok.

I remember this lady in my neighborhood made a pot of gumbo and she put everything under the sun in it. :mjlol: I think she had oranges in that shyt :dead:
😂😂😂 mine was more simple mostly sea food some smoked sausage and some smoked pork. She’s cooked gumbo a million times she just tried to switch it up.

it’s finished cooking now, gonna go work on the cornbread which I haven’t made in many many many years. I definitely thinking toasting the flour in the dry pan was the way to go, it allowed for the colour and the toasted flavour with no burning. It takes muuuuchh longer when you add the oil and flour in together.

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
weebay-thewire.gif

I made gumbo for the first time last night too lol. I didn't follow directions clearly so my roux didn't darken, it was more of a peanut butter brown, and I used white rice flour because my mom can't have gluten.

Turned out pretty good but I wanted it darker.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
weebay-thewire.gif

I made gumbo for the first time last night too lol. I didn't follow directions clearly so my roux didn't darken, it was more of a peanut butter brown, and I used white rice flour because my mom can't have gluten.

Turned out pretty good but I wanted it darker.
Did it thicken up well with gluten free flour?

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Is your husband black american from louisiana OP?

If so, you’re a winner for making something he likes and is accustomed to in his culture