Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Newsflash....I honestly feel Scorsese overall point is right. Blockbuster film-making has fell off horribly in the last 20 years it's not even funny. And yes they are basically "Amusement Park" Rides in the Theater. Thin Plots, average acting, and no depth and after you get off the ride that's it and you move on. The Antagonist are average as well. Marvel is an easy target because of the popularity but I'm talking broadly. Look, there is room for popcorn fluff, not everyone movie has to be "Deep" but this idea that these comic book films are some "High Art" just isn't there. "The Dark Knight Trilogy", "Logan" and yes recently "Joker" all give me hope in the future but most of them are basically Saturday Morning Cartoons blown up on the Big Screen to sell toys and merchandise. And before you mention Lucas and Spielberg who yes created this "Blockbuster Monster", they're films had much more depth than the blockbusters today overall. I'm not going to get into the whole "This is or isn't Cinema" because I don't feel that's the point.

Look at "Joker", it was a comic book movie that was more of a character study, it had depth and wasn't over processed with visual effects and spectacle. It was much better than a majority of comic book movies I've seen in the last 15 years. Also "Joker" HEAVILY Bit Scorsese, it wasn't even funny. I can't wait to see the "Irishman", I know it's gonna be fire. Also Marty does not give a damn about "Box Office" or "Awards". He was snubbed for decades. All box office studies have shown ticket sales are way down and are being inflated by higher ticket prices and an expanding overseas markets. Most Marvel Movies haven't not sold more tickets than the Blockbusters of the 80's and 90's. Shoot, "Endgame" did not sell more tickets than "Avatar" either and lost to "Force Awakens" Domestically. The bottom line when it comes to the MCU, I honestly don't expect a movie like "Logan" or "Joker" to come from them. They are honestly more marketing to kids, this is how Disney operates. Like I said, Saturday Morning Cartoons for Adults that they can bring their kids too. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy them or have fun watching them but let's not act like these comic book films are "Groundbreaking" Cinema because they aren't.
some want to deny it but this post is straight facts

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Again, very pompous to say no one gains anything from Marvel movies. Black Panther is one of the best movies thematically in recent years. It captures the African Diaspora debate and struggle extremely well. But a bunch of old white guys feel free to dismiss it because it didn't speak to them, not sure they even bothered to see it. But they do want to shyt on it anyway. The end of their influence is near and they can feel it so they are lashing out. It's sad to see.

Marvel geeks about to be in their feelings all over again :russ:

None of the great directors respect that shyt :mjlol:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
There have always been different types of cinema :yeshrug:
Movies have been about the spectacle just as much as about "conveying psychological experiences" since the very beginning. Scorsese does and likes a different type of cinema and that is perfectly legitimate. But let's not act as if swashbucklers in the 30's, sword and sandels epics in the 40's and 50's, James Bond in the 60's and 70's or 80's and 90's action movies weren't doing what superhero movies are doing now, which is basically attract people with spectacle: jaw dropping set pieces and action scenes. The difference today is, that Marvel movies have pretty much crowded out any other form of cinema, and I get that that is frustrating to people lile Scorsese. But that has to do with the fact that everybody has a large flatscreen tv and broadband internet at home. So, at the moment, the only reason to leave the comfort of your living room and go to the movies is the spectacle. But I'm sure that, as has always been the case in pop culture, at some point, there will be a counter movement and people will grow tired of superhero movies.
:wow:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
First Marty and now Coppola and y'all still gonna fix your fingers and call them pompous or elitist all for some comic book movies.

I can't anymore, I'm unwatching this thread.

source.gif

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
I get where they are coming from but this has been going on since the birth of cinema. Some people just want to go to the theater and be entertained. Not every single movie has to have some deep meaning or whatever. People act like comic book movies are the only films being released when at the most we get 4-5 a year. Plenty of good movies are released throughout the year.

And people need to stop acting like it's only MCU films they have a problem with. I'm pretty certain they feel the same way with movies like Aquaman, Shazam, Batman vs Superman, etc but since the MCU is the most popular right now they're the ones being called out.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
First Marty and now Coppola and y'all still gonna fix your fingers and call them pompous or elitist all for some comic book movies.

I can't anymore, I'm unwatching this thread.

source.gif
You know it's okay to agree with them and it still be elitist

They're basically shytting on their peers

Daps
You know the funniest part about this is that Scorcese talking about the MCU generates more attention than the film he just made. There’s are a handful of Irishman threads that go on for maybe 6 pages across 3 threads.

I don’t really have a point to make, but I find it hilarious.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
You know the funniest part about this is that Scorcese talking about the MCU generates more attention than the film he just made. There’s are a handful of Irishman threads that go on for maybe 6 pages across 3 threads.

I don’t really have a point to make, but I find it hilarious.
:deadmanny: