Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everyone cites black panther but that's the exception not the rule. They are right about the rest of these marvel movies. They recycled and repackaged mass consumer shyt. I see this as someone who has seen every single one

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Martin Scorsese’s upcoming Netflix epic The Irishman has been getting rave reviews, but throughout its many promotions over the past month, the film’s press has been dogged by the director’s comments about the movies produced by Disney conglomerate Marvel Studios. In an interview, Scorsese declared Marvel movies were “not cinema” and compared them to theme parks. He later doubled-down on these comments despite various responses from Marvel actors Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Downey Jr., fanboy auteur Kevin Smith, and superhero genre enthusiast Damon Lindelof.

The Marvel fans were also quite vocal about the matter, which exploded in social media circles almost immediately. Even so, the (faux) outcry has not disquieted Scorsese and his supporters — including fellow iconic director Francis Ford Coppola. When Agence France-Presse caught up with him recently, they asked him about the “controversy” surrounding Scorsese’s comments. Not only did he agree with his fellow director, but Coppola also took it a step further by calling Marvel movies “despicable.”

Per Yahoo! News:

“When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.

“I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again,” the 80-year-old filmmaker said.

“Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is.“

With HBO’s Watchmen series — which was created by Lindelof — premiering this weekend, Coppola’s involvement in the ongoing Marvel movies debate is sure to keep these irritating fires lit for a few more days.

(Via Yahoo! News)

this nikka hasnt made a good move in literal decades and running his mouth. Reminds me of washed rappers taking shyt.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Superhero movies can be cinema, the issue I have always had with Marvel, is th all of their films are formulaic.

Everyone is a comedian, almost like the films are adapted from a Brian Michael Bendis comic.

There aren't consequences, nor growth in the films.

Now take a look at Spiderman 2 (Tobey), the peak of superhero films and you'll see the difference between a film and a movie like Iron Man or any other Marvel movie.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
In before another true film buff points out the obvious,

hqdefault.jpg

Throw your nephew under the motorcycle, Paisan !

Last edited:

Marco Zen

Black Privilege
Daps
Reppin
The Other A
The Part he said about marvel movies being the same shyt over and over again is kinda accurate :francis:

Like bill Maher said its usually about a shiny thing being taken by the villain and the heroes have to get it back... :francis:

In every last one of em :francis:

I finally got around to seeing both the new spider mans.. Watched them back to back. And they both were about a shiny thing that Spidey had to get back to save the day

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
if anything he's just showing how cacs really are

even with that, his worse movie is better than anything in the MCU

shyt this scene alone

is quoted and more iconic than all 20 of them damn movies

and you know it is.

"There's no white guy saying '******' in the films for no apparent reason, therefore, they're not real cinema." - Martin Scorsese

Perhaps he didn't outright say it aloud, but judging by his track record, he's at least thought it a few times :mjpls:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Coppola saying movies need a message, but admitting he only did Godfather 3 to get a quick check because he was broke.

Scorcese complaining about marvel movies but doing a shytty remake of a pulp movie with Cape Fear.

The hypocrisy of people who need attention but can't get it anymore is funny as hell to me.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Superhero movies can be cinema, the issue I have always had with Marvel, is th all of their films are formulaic.

Everyone is a comedian, almost like the films are adapted from a Brian Michael Bendis comic.

There aren't consequences, nor growth in the films.

Now take a look at Spiderman 2 (Tobey), the peak of superhero films and you'll see the difference between a film and a movie like Iron Man or any other Marvel movie.

I really have a love hate relationship with Spider-man 2(OG) it legit might very well be the best superhero movie ever and simultaneously the most boring too. But it is everything an actual comic book arc should/would be if you were comparing cinema to a comic book. It gets everything right.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Coppola saying movies need a message, but admitting he only did Godfather 3 to get a quick check because he was broke.

Scorcese complaining about marvel movies but doing a shytty remake of a pulp movie with Cape Fear.

The hypocrisy of people who need attention but can't get it anymore is funny as hell to me.

Cape Fear was shytty? c'mon now.

Daps
Like I said in the film room. Oh well. I’m still watching all of them on Day 1. And more importantly I along with the rest of the world are not willing to drop $13 to watch a movie in a there’s that’s not materially different than watching it on my flat screen. Marvel or no Marvel, no studio is gonna give a director $150 million to make a movie that in a best case scenario makes $400 million.