Marvel Studios only paying comic writers $5k for stories they use in movies

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
i read that bob iger quote and just shook my head. he's the chairman so is in the highest position. he easily could've done something but seemed like he threw bob chapek under the bus instead:heh:

Ehhhh it's a difference between Executive Chairman and CEO eventhough they both sound the same. Iger isn't involved with the day to day operations anymore and is more so like a consultant at this point. So technically Chapek doesn't have to listen to anything that Iger says seeing as he's in a higher position of power :ld:

I just don't see why they just didn't renegotiate the contract when she came to them first and saved themselves the hassle and negative PR.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Jim Starlin said he got paid more for KGBeast's appearance in Batman v Superman than he got for all of Thanos' appearances in the MCU and they didn't even use the KGBeast name for the character in BvS.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
What’s the market and how much y’all Coli Business men think these hardworking writers deserve?:ohhh:

Serious discussion only, not trolling cuz I’m not, I find this to be an intriguing topic?:ehh:

books and comics are different but i always thought it would be comparable and theatlantic covered it a little with this article: How My First Novel Became a Movie

"Following the premiere of Carrie Pilby, it seems most people I talk to are still curious about the whole money aspect. The fact is, book authors rarely become wealthy from movie deals. When the screen rights are sold (or when the option is “exercised”), the writer often gets a sum equal to about 2.5 percent of the budget. Keep in mind indie films are only made for a few million dollars. There are sometimes monetary bonuses if a big studio signs on, but after 10 to 15 percent agent fees and then taxes, the resulting sum is often less than six figures. However, I am now quite rich in inspiration, which helps as I put the last touches on that teen novel and a funny memoir."

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
books and comics are different but i always thought it would be comparable and theatlantic covered it a little with this article: How My First Novel Became a Movie

"Following the premiere of Carrie Pilby, it seems most people I talk to are still curious about the whole money aspect. The fact is, book authors rarely become wealthy from movie deals. When the screen rights are sold (or when the option is “exercised”), the writer often gets a sum equal to about 2.5 percent of the budget. Keep in mind indie films are only made for a few million dollars. There are sometimes monetary bonuses if a big studio signs on, but after 10 to 15 percent agent fees and then taxes, the resulting sum is often less than six figures. However, I am now quite rich in inspiration, which helps as I put the last touches on that teen novel and a funny memoir."

I appreciate it that Beloved:ehh:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
They already wrote the story and they are not the screenwriter. Marvel dont got to give them shyt.
:yeshrug:
Not to take on the corporate side, but didn’t they already get paid for writing the comics? After that, isn’t the IP owned by Disney outright?

Yes, this is a double dip and no comic movie is a complete rip off of comic stories (except Watchmen lol). They may take a concept, piece of dialogue or story element but that's it. $5K does seem very low for a multi-billion corporation but I don't think they deserve 6 figures or anything. $50K seems right to me.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Not to take on the corporate side, but didn’t they already get paid for writing the comics? After that, isn’t the IP owned by Disney outright?
What’s the market and how much y’all Coli Business men think these hardworking writers deserve?:ohhh:

Serious discussion only, not trolling cuz I’m not, I find this to be an intriguing topic?:ehh:
They already wrote the story and they are not the screenwriter. Marvel dont got to give them shyt.
:yeshrug:
They did already get paid for writing the comics. I don't know about the IP or not, but IMO this is a case of principles and doing the right thing more than it's an issue of what is legal and what isn't.

I'm guessing that Marvel isn't doing anything illegal here by paying these writers only 5k, but it's kind of a shytty move. I think corporations should behave better, and do better, even if they're meeting their bare-minimum legal obligations.