Marvel Studios only paying comic writers $5k for stories they use in movies

Daps
They’re work for hire stories involving characters and IP the writers don’t own. Disney’s not really in the wrong here. Or if you’re gonna make the moral argument that they are, there’s a much longer list of studios doing this in a much more egregious manner than this.

The actual writer of Forrest Gump didn’t get a dime on the back end. The creators of Superman lost their copyright to Superman, and only got their by-line and pension when the 78 movie came out. Which is still better than Bill Finger, the actual creative force behind Batman, who can’t even get a byline

Daps
books and comics are different but i always thought it would be comparable and theatlantic covered it a little with this article: How My First Novel Became a Movie

"Following the premiere of Carrie Pilby, it seems most people I talk to are still curious about the whole money aspect. The fact is, book authors rarely become wealthy from movie deals. When the screen rights are sold (or when the option is “exercised”), the writer often gets a sum equal to about 2.5 percent of the budget. Keep in mind indie films are only made for a few million dollars. There are sometimes monetary bonuses if a big studio signs on, but after 10 to 15 percent agent fees and then taxes, the resulting sum is often less than six figures. However, I am now quite rich in inspiration, which helps as I put the last touches on that teen novel and a funny memoir."

Maybe this is why GRRM threw the middle finger at HBO on the last season of Thrones