Meet Drakes NEW GHOSTWRITER

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
QM was a co writer on those songs even though people don't like to admit that. He came up with the core but there's a good amount of bars he didn't reference.

How much of a track do you have to write to be a ghostwriter and not a co writer in your opinion. Or are all co writers ghost writers?

if hes just a cowriter why isnt he featured? :lupe:

Superstar
Daps
We're arguing semantics at this point but QM was called a ghostwriter despite being credited. It's what the whole scandal was about. The fact that there was reference tracks was just the icing on the cake.

When Andre dropped that verse a couple months ago shytting on rappers for using ghostwriters the whole world assumed he meant Drake. So yeah, you are correct if we're talking about the textbook definition of ghostwriting but Drake credited his writers and nobody gave a fukk, because he tried to take credit for everything.

You get what I'm saying?

Fred.

So youre basically saying Drake shouldnt be accused of/vilified for having ghostwriters because all his supposed "ghostwriters" are actually credited?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So youre basically saying Drake shouldnt be accused of/vilified for having ghostwriters because all his supposed "ghostwriters" are actually credited?

No. I'm saying if that was enough then he wouldn't have been vilified in the first place. And before his stans come in here talking about "but no one cares!", everyone thought Andre was dissing him on "Solo". So clearly this is a problem beyond random people on message boards "hating".

Fred.

Superstar
Daps
No. I'm saying if that was enough then he wouldn't have been vilified in the first place. And before his stans come in here talking about "but no one cares!", everyone thought Andre was dissing him on "Solo". So clearly this is a problem beyond random people on message boards "hating".

Fred.

Oh yeah I feel you on that. Im just pointing out OP and others shouldn't call credited writers "ghostwriters". OP literally pulled a name out the credits and said it was ghostwriting which is :heh:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Rakim didn't ghostwrite Summertime, that's a rumor that was debunked a long time ago.

No, I don't hate Drake. What I hate is people flooding the boards incessantly with shyt posts & just constantly stacking a Drake thread up on top of another. It's overkill, my dude. Overkill & it is on every single goddamn hip hop forum. You cats have a place to go, it is called OvoForum. Yet most of you still keep shyt posting here, why?

Go read that article I just linked, it proves what me and others have just responded to.

One other thing, you can always spot a amateur liar and Drake shows time n time again, he doesn't know how to lie. He evades the issue every single time. What makes it worse, he still wants to be considered top 5 as a writer. It will never happen, he's going to be remembered as a entertainer not a world class legendary top 5 mc.

So The Roots didn't mention that Rakim ghostwrote it within the last few months?

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Well, that too.

But I'm more speaking to the fact that if crediting your writers was enough the QM situation wouldn't exist in the first place. If crediting your writers was enough then the whole world wouldn't assume Andre was talking about Drake. People are going by the dictionary definition of ghostwriting which is cool but if you wrote a song for me, and I credit you, and nobody knows who you are....you're just another random name out of 5-6 guys in the song credits....and I'm claiming I had no help....then that credit means jack shyt when it comes to clarifying if I wrote the song or not.

Fred.

Dudes are really being fukking obtuse about what a ghostwriter is in Hip Hop...

In Hip Hop, the rapper is automatically assumed to have written the verses unless stated otherwise...

If there are 5 people credited on a song...and we do not know who the 4th person is and that person is listed 6 times in an album...and he's writing bars...that's a damn ghostwriter...

Producers and artists sampled receive writing credit...rappers these days be having 8 people credited on a damn song

Ghostwriting in Hip Hop is passing off your bars as your own...

This is from a damn ghostwriter...

This Ghostwriter Takes Us Inside Hip-Hop's Secret Society

MTV: Some writers receive writing credit, some do not. It's assumed that being a ghostwriter means that you receive no traditional writing credit. Can you break that down?

Aaron: You're still a ghostwriter if you're getting credit, the difference is if it's public knowledge. When you look at album credits and track one has five or six names on it. The artist, you know his real name, that name may be first. The second name is the producer's name, so that name is there. Let's say there's a Michael Jackson sample, so you might have Michael Jackson's name there. You might have Quincy Jones' name there, because he produced the original Michael Jackson record. So now you got so-and-so rapper, so-and-so producer, M. Jackson from the sample, Q. Jones from the sample and then there's a fifth name and it becomes, "Who's that fifth name?" And that's when people start doing research and trying to figure out who's this fifth name on this record. And that's when you start getting to the bottom of things. You gotta really read the credits. There's a lot of musicians on the record, you may have 10 names, it doesn't mean 10 people wrote the rhymes.

It's that simple and nikkas trying to change the rules...

Last edited: