Meet Drakes NEW GHOSTWRITER

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Well the thing about songwriting credits is they're largely vague so you don't know how much a writer did on a track. But when the QM thing happened and actual reference tracks of entire verses leaked, that's when it became a big thing. Plus QM wasn't credited for everything, ie RICO, Know Yourself, Energy, 10 Bands, so he actually was a ghostwriter

QM is credited on every song he wrote except "RICO" breh:

Drake – If You're Reading This, It's Too Late [Credits] Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Here's the thing....if you don't know who Q. Miller is, then it doesn't matter if he's credited. That was the problem. Couple that with the fact that 40 was in interviews back in 2012 talking about "as a rapper you shouldn't need help with your bars"....well, it's not hard to understand why this is a problem even with song credits. If all it takes is a song credit to dispel ghost writing rumors then people wouldn't have wondered who A. Palman was back in 2011:

TAKE CARE LINER NOTES CONTROVERSY: WHO IS A. PALMAN?! « Kanye West Forum

Ironically crediting Hush on "Take Care" was the start of people thinking Drake was using ghostwriters. Again, because nobody knew who A. Palman was.

Fred.

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
An example of a ghostwriter:

Here's the thing....if you don't know who Q. Miller is, then it doesn't matter if he's credited. That was the problem. Couple that with the fact that 40 was in interviews back in 2012 talking about "as a rapper you shouldn't need help with your bars"....well, it's not hard to understand why this is a problem even with song credits. If all it takes is a song credit to dispel ghost writing rumors then people wouldn't have wondered who A. Palman was back in 2011:

Ironically crediting Hush on "Take Care" was the start of people thinking Drake was using ghostwriters. Again, because nobody knew who A. Palman was.

Fred.
I swear it is like talking to brick walls that just repeat "Ovo Sound...Ovo sound........ovo sound"

Here's my theory on why Quentin was chose. I think a lot of people in Ovo are intoxicated a lot of the time, they were partying together & they clicked. Quentin doesn't really strike me as someone who is "extremely talented" where it concerns flows or lyrics. I think they were drinking one day a bit too heavy and heard a Quentin demo & just loved it because they were under the influence. I dont think he would be chosen if there were sober minds at that time. I listen to Quentin & i say "This guy is really intoxicated & he can barely hold his lines together, he must be a fun dude to be around" I have no idea what his talent level is when he is sober. But from what I've heard so far, he needs rehab as much as Cudi does. :yeshrug:

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Although I do t have a prob getting songs where you're singing written. It's funny how for years people used the he didn't write the hook to discredit Game

Now getting ya hook wrote is excepted.:heh:

It's funny because that's what people championed him for when he started

Superstar
Daps

Fred.

Yeah you're right, I didn't check the liner notes for those songs I just assumed on that :manny:

Wait but what's your point though? I'm saying if somebody gets a songwriting credit, they're not a ghostwriter. You get paid differently and your legal arrangements with the artist and the company is different if you get a credit, so you can't qualify someone, who's name literally appears in the credits, as a "ghostwriter", which is what the OP did

• Dap
Reactions: hex

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah you're right, I didn't check the liner notes for those songs I just assumed on that :manny:

Wait but what's your point though? I'm saying if somebody gets a songwriting credit, they're not a ghostwriter. You get paid differently and your legal arrangements with the artist and the company is different if you get a credit, so you can't qualify someone who's name literally appears in the credits, as a "ghostwriter", which is what the OP did
You're missing his point...rappers shouldn't have others writing their rhymes

Superstar
Daps
You're missing his point...rappers shouldn't have others writing their rhymes

And you/he are missing mine... read my original post. I said I don't judge/rank Drake by MC standards anymore because his writing credentials are questionable. But at the same time, you can't just be negligent of what's there and call a spade a club, a credited songwriter a ghostwriter, because the two things are not interchangeable from both an artistic and legal standpoint......

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
No. no. no & no , that's all 100% false what you just stated.

A writer credited can still be a ghostwriter. He just isn't CREDITED on other songs on the project. That is a silent agreement between the two of them to give the perception that the artist doesn't "RELY" on the writer. Go do your research and find out the protocol of being a ghostwriter.
These are all methods used in the past on countless music that we know & love.

You're playing hypotheticals now...was Quentin not properly credited on IYRTITL?

Y'all just hate Drake so much that y'all use the term ghostwriter improperly

Rakim ghostwrote Summertime, didn't receive ANY writing credit...that's a ghostwriter

MufasaChoppa

The Rise & Fall Of Mufasa Choppa
Daps
Reppin
L.A , California
anthony-palman-140045734.pic1.jpg

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
most of drake's r&b songs are written by someone else.

in that regard he's a pop artist like britney spears. everybody knows this.

OVO is a label full of writers that give their best shyt to drake to keep him at the top of the charts.

it's whatever to me. with the QM shyt tho, it exposed that he might not even be writing some of his raps and thats some shyt that makes you :jbhmm:

if he could shamelessly take complete r&b songs from other artist, why wouldn't he take a verse if it's hot?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Wait but what's your point though? I'm saying if somebody gets a songwriting credit, they're not a ghostwriter. You get paid differently and your legal arrangements with the artist and the company is different if you get a credit, so you can't qualify someone, who's name literally appears in the credits, as a "ghostwriter", which is what the OP did

We're arguing semantics at this point but QM was called a ghostwriter despite being credited. It's what the whole scandal was about. The fact that there was reference tracks was just the icing on the cake.

When Andre dropped that verse a couple months ago shytting on rappers for using ghostwriters the whole world assumed he meant Drake. So yeah, you are correct if we're talking about the textbook definition of ghostwriting but Drake credited his writers and nobody gave a fukk, because he tried to take credit for everything.

You get what I'm saying?

Fred.